Which bowl game we get?

Depends on next 2 games, and how the ACCCG plays out. Somewhere warm would be nice.

Why not? Bowl eligible teams will probably be: Clemson, Cuse, BC, NCSU, Pitt, GT, UVA, Duke.

These I think happen regardless of any GT outcome:
  • Orange Bowl --> Clemson
  • Camping World Bowl --> Winner of Syracuse / BC game
The Tier 1 Bowls (Sun, Pinstripe, Belk, Music City / Gator) select together. I think Pitt as ACC runner up, and the loser of Cuse/BC are in that group. I also see NCSU winning their last 3 and getting in this group. If Tech wins out, we're in this group, as well. Where do we go? Pinstrip makes more sense for BC/Cuse, Belk will want NC State. So Sun or Music City / Gator. Since we've been in the Sun twice this decade, I think it will be Music City / Gator.

With another loss, I think we drop to the next set of Bowls: Military then Independence. An 0-2 finish would make Tech the least desirable ACC team, so Independence Bowl in Shreveport. With another win, Tech could jump to the Military Bowl.

In summary:
2-0 = Music City or Gator Bowl
1-1 = Military Bowl
0-2 = Independence Bowl

That looks like a pretty good summary. A few other thoughts:

If ND fails to make the playoff, they will be included in the bowl selection for the ACC.

When the winner of the ACCCG makes the playoff, the next highest ranked ACC team typically gets an at-large bid to one of the non-playoff New Years Six Bowls. Since the Orange Bowl is a playoff bowl this year, I think an ACC team will get an at-large bid to one of the other NY6 bowls.

The TaxSlayer Gator/Music City pick from ACC or B10. The Music City got the B10 selection the last 2 years, so I think they will almost certainly get an ACC team this year and the TS Gator will get a B10 selection.

Bowl assignment is primarily based on the order of conference record, so if we beat UVa and finish with a 5-3 conference record, I don't think we would drop out of the Sun/MCB/Belk/Pinstripe tier with a loss to UGa.

Last edited:
Posted previously but here it is again...
image_handler.aspx

According to SI:
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl, Tampa on Dec. 20
Memphis vs. Georgia Tech

According to Bonagura on ESPN:
Quick Lane Bowl, Detroit on Dec. 26
Georgia Tech vs. Northern Illinois

According to Sherman on ESPN:
Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman, Annapolis on Dec. 31 (noon)
Georgia Tech vs. USF

rematch? I don't think so, though I wouldn't mind it.

According to SI:
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl, Tampa on Dec. 20
Memphis vs. Georgia Tech

So they think 10+ ACC teams will be bowl eligible and we're selected 10th?

According to Bonagura on ESPN:
Quick Lane Bowl, Detroit on Dec. 26
Georgia Tech vs. Northern Illinois

They think there will be 9+ ACC teams bowl eligible and we're selected 9th?

We will go to the Sun Bowl and be Ranked in top 20.

Syracuse will get at-large to NY6 after beating ND and BC.

Pitt will go to camping world.

We will go to the Sun Bowl and be Ranked in top 20.

Syracuse will get at-large to NY6 after beating ND and BC.

Pitt will go to camping world.
This would be a fun outcome. Not sure Sun Bowl gets a Top 20 team though.

I'm feeling a bit optimistic about the UVa game. They have only won one road game all year, and their game on Saturday against Liberty was not impressive. They benefited from 3 turnovers and ran the 2nd half opening kickoff back for a TD. If we play like we did against UM, I think we should win to finish 5-3 in conference play.

Back