Which has-been program would you rather be a fan of?

Which has-been program would you rather be a fan of?

• Total voters
Yes, the hottest cheerleaders in America!
While the Song Girls are my favorite cheerleaders, (and of course a Tech girl), but UCLA and Oregon are a close 2nd and 3rd. They generally have smoke shows, as well.

I picked Texas because there is absolutely no excuse for the flagship university in a football mad state to struggle so damned much. The talent is unreal in that state and even with so many other D1 schools to fight over talent, I am just trying to understand why the program is so mediocre.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback
Look at all the recent decent, to good, to great, to HofF starting QBs in the NFL from the state of Tejas (Brees, Mahomes, Mayfield, Murray, Matthew Stafford, Ryan Tannehill, Jalen Hurts, Andy Dalton . . .) and realize not one of them actually played AT the University of Tejas. Maybe they should try to land just one.

So Nebraska plays Oklahoma this weekend . . . . That game used to be one of the top half dozen games every year, along with OSU/Michigan, the Iron Bowl, ND/USC . . . always played toward or at the end of the season in late November. Often one or the other was ranked Number 1. Sometimes, like 1971 (one of the greatest college football games I ever saw), they were both undefeated and ranked 1 and 2.

Now it's a nothingburger game. Yawn. Oklahoma is laying 22 points. 22! Part of it was Nebraska disastrously moving to the B1G Fourteen. Most of it is that Nebraska now just sucks every year.

I never understood how or why Nebraska was so good for so long. What makes Nebraska different from Kansas or Iowa? They used to get a lot of top high school talent from the northeast and California - which made no sense to me. Unlike USC, FSU, Miami or Texas, I really do not see how or why anyone should ever expect Nebraska to be very good again.

I said Tennessee because I <3 Appalachia, and also no income tax.

Love East Tennessee but having seen the heartache these people have gone through with that program no way in hell I’d subject myself to that. I get enough of that rooting for Tech.

So Nebraska plays Oklahoma this weekend . . . . That game used to be one of the top half dozen games every year, along with OSU/Michigan, the Iron Bowl, ND/USC . . . always played toward or at the end of the season in late November. Often one or the other was ranked Number 1. Sometimes, like 1971 (one of the greatest college football games I ever saw), they were both undefeated and ranked 1 and 2.

Now it's a nothingburger game. Yawn. Oklahoma is laying 22 points. 22! Part of it was Nebraska disastrously moving to the B1G Fourteen. Most of it is that Nebraska now just sucks every year.

I never understood how or why Nebraska was so good for so long. What makes Nebraska different from Kansas or Iowa? They used to get a lot of top high school talent from the northeast and California - which made no sense to me. Unlike USC, FSU, Miami or Texas, I really do not see how or why anyone should ever expect Nebraska to be very good again.
Tom Osborne. May Alabama suffer the same fate when Saban retires.

I picked FSU. Sweet mascot and chant, good talent in the stands (on the field? not so much), and it’s in the South. Not sure when they’ll be back though. Texas is #2.

Tom Osborne. May Alabama suffer the same fate when Saban retires.
But they were a powerhouse and won a Natty under Bob Devaney in 1971 before Osborne was the head coach. Back to back undefeated seasons in 1970 and 1971 under Devaney, and three straight Orange Bowl wins from 1970-72.

As I think about this some more . . . I should have said Tennessee just out of loyalty. My cousin (RIP) played there under Doug Dickey, and blood is thicker than hot cheerleaders.

Fun Fact: Oklahoma has won more college football games than anyone since the end of WW2. Would have bet Michigan, ND or Bama. Nope. Oklahoma.

Neb used to be an option team in an option state. Every high school ran the power I. Even freshmen had years of experience running it. All you had to do was recruit a few skill guys or get a QB who really got the reads. It was a football machine starting about 6th grade.

Once they moved away from that, all the high schools started running the spread. Now there is no difference between them and Iowa.

Georgia should be on the list
The real question is why is Georgia NOT on that list?
I understand why Miami is on that list. They could not fill their stadium even when winning NCs.
I understand why USC is in that list. Football is far the only or most important thing to do in California.
I understand why FSU is on that list. They aren’t The State school and they lost perhaps the greatest CFB coach of all time.

But I don’t understand what UGA has that Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee and (especially) Texas don’t have, which keeps them (UGA) in the NC talk almost every single year for the past 50 years. Why won’t they go away just like the rest of the washed up programs?

Miami and FSU's days are long gone. Michigan is that big slow Northern team. It ain't the 90s anymore Nebraska. Texas has the best potential of coming back followed by USC.

Notre Dame belongs in that list too.

Like a snowball’s chance in hell and Georgia Tech, Notre Dame’s odds of ever winning another national championship unless there are MAJOR changes to CFB—-basically the creation of a minor-league NFL which is completely separate from the college game are ——ZERO.

Back