Which QB would you prefer?

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
If so then it will probably Gleason. Sims is an athlete playing QB who could just dominate against high school teams. Gleason plays like a QB.
I've seen Gleason live. His dad was my son's defensive coordinator. Gleason is a great QB and actually a better athlete than expected given his pocket QB recruiting designation. He's a HOSS too and looks like a linebacker. Built just like his dad who played football for MIT. I love Tucker Gleason because if he weren't playing football he'd still probably attend GT as a student.

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
It’s gonna be odd for us because we haven’t seen it in about 20 years, but QBs can improve footwork, mechanics, accuracy, etc.

User 10337

Okay I just watched a couple condensed games on youtube just to remind myself of why I formed such a negative opinion on Graham as a QB. I see a guy who's arm is actually stronger than I remember but has horrible accuracy. He reminds me of the typical Paul Johnson QB where a completed pass felt more like a random strike than an intended target. He just looks like a good athlete forced to play QB rather than a QB who happens to be a good athlete. I fully expect one of the two freshman QBs to assert themselves by the end of the season and JG moved to different position.
Nobody has mentioned how many times JG has thrown a post to a single-high safety or that he admitted that he didn’t practice as hard for the VT game as with other games.
I think he’s a good kid and can improve, but that won’t cut it. If that’s how he plays and that’s his attitude he will easily be beaten out.
FWIW he will have a leg up on Yates and the freshmen, but that can only get you so far. Still have to take care of the ball and make plays.

User 10337

Sims is an athlete playing QB who could just dominate against high school teams.
Not sure what film you’re watching- plenty of film out there on Sims taking his drop and delivering the ball on time at the right place for the receiver. Lots of of plays where he would have to diagnose the defense first to make the right play, enough to make me think he isn’t just guessing.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
You may be right. I’ve seen more of Gleason’s film since he’s been a commit for longer. If Sims is a stud then even better. I’m just looking forward to having a QB who knows how to play the position. It’s been a long time for GT fans and no I’m not counting the option chuck and pray passing game.

DawgHater13

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
It blows my mind how many ppl bash CGC and Patenaude, then show blind faith in JG.

JG was literally the worst QB in the ACC last year, and ranked 109 overall. Terrible.

Was he young? Yes. Did the OL stink? Yes. However, the few times he actually had time to pass- he would regularly miss wide open receivers!

With the schedule we have this year, we are probably in for a lot of blow outs. We MIGHT win 3 games.. maybe..

JG is not the future, imo. He filled the role last year bc of his athleticism and our biggest arm talent was our punter.. I would support some new blood at the QB position to help us prepare for 2021.

User 10337

It's really a shame- losing the development part of the year is key for our success. However, maybe it makes some things better that we don't see yet.

Vespinae

Unbelievable, effort-based commenter
It blows my mind how many ppl bash CGC and Patenaude, then show blind faith in JG.

JG was literally the worst QB in the ACC last year, and ranked 109 overall. Terrible.

Was he young? Yes. Did the OL stink? Yes. However, the few times he actually had time to pass- he would regularly miss wide open receivers!

With the schedule we have this year, we are probably in for a lot of blow outs. We MIGHT win 3 games.. maybe..

JG is not the future, imo. He filled the role last year bc of his athleticism and our biggest arm talent was our punter.. I would support some new blood at the QB position to help us prepare for 2021.
Yeah I feel like he's only really confident in the 12+ yard passes with a very strong ability to find a receiver breaking away from the safety (Brown). His worst quality in my opinion is his lack of mental clock when in the pocket. There were more than a few times last year where JG stand in the pocket seemingly oblivious to a rusher coming at him basically unblocked. There are a lot of times he either threw with a defender's hands on him or just stood around and had the ball slapped out of his hands. I think we made some good improvements by the end of the year, but he still has a way to go. Hopefully, he's been able to see where he can improve and has fixed a lot of issues. If not, I hope we don't stick with him for longer than is needed to see he's not the guy. It's definitely a wide open QB competition for this year.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
I want Sims or Gleason.... I do not want any of last years QBs and I think Yates will need to transfer to slot (as he was recruited by CPJ staff...see Tobias Oliver)

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I want Sims or Gleason.... I do not want any of last years QBs and I think Yates will need to transfer to slot (as he was recruited by CPJ staff...see Tobias Oliver)
Yates is a QB and a far better passer than Oliver. Whether Yates ever starts at QB for us is unknown, but he won't be switching positions.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
We have 4 guys that I see as solid QB options. I won’t be disappointed with any of them winning the job, as I’ll trust they separated themself as the best player. Let the best man win. #CompetitionIsKing

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
My money would be on Sims, but with limited practice time, we're likely in for another year of QB rotation.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
My money would be on Sims, but with limited practice time, we're likely in for another year of QB rotation.
True freshman rarely earn the starting job before their first game so I hope we see early rotation. Graham will need to show a lot of improvement to be the starter at the end of the year.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
I'm not ready to trust the coaches to play the "best" QB. Our last coach was proof that it doesn't always happen.