Who becomes the new Clemson h.coach...

Bobby Johnson wouldn't be bad, a deep South run first guy. I think he hurt himself taking the Vanderbilt job. It would be hard to hire a guy who didn't win at his last job even if it were not his fault in the least.

If I were hiring a coach, I'd hire Dan Hawkins out at Boise State. He's built a nice program out there. I don't know that he has any Southern connections though. But, if you can convince kids from California to come play in the snow in Boise, I think you'll get by.

Has anyone heard any talk of Tenuta as a coaching candidate? I guess we're just lucky that Tech is a fairly low profile place. I really don't know the first thing about him except that he can coach some defense.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
That is one coach that would never fit at Clemson...Clemson will never go for that Northeastern accent.....I look for an sec assistant like Van Gorder or maybe an Nfl guy which is becoming more and more of a trend..i think Oleary gets a chance somewhere as HC in a couple of years but not a Southern school like Clemson...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good news....klimpsum is probably too stupid to hire Coach O'leary.

Bad news....it is a possibility that they might hire Coach O'leary.

Mark it down....if klimpsum were to hire Coach O'leary....we would live to regret it.
shocked.gif

I seriously doubt that any ACC school would hire O'Liar.

If he does come back to the college level, I would imagine that it would be somewhere like Syracuse, Rutgers, or UConn.

That being said, with his success in Minnesota, I don't think he'll be leaving any time soon.

BBR

George O'Leary WAS and IS an outstanding recruiter. I remember reading an article in the
Atlanta Journal Constitution that stated that George recruited 14 of one of Bobby Ross' class
and when you consider that a staff has 9 assistants and one coach signs 14 you have to know what you are doing. Not only did the paper list the number of recruits but they named them.
There are a few negative things that can be said about George but being a weak recruiter is not one of them.

The problem with stoops IMHO is it appears that he has no staff. I think he would be reluctant to gut his brother's staff at OU. It might take years for him to hire/develop a complete staff capable of competing at the ACC level. VanGorter has a comparable defense without the O to carry them and should do better out of the gate recruiting around here.

I like the Boise State mention. Also, the Utah coach has some positives.

I have not heard Rodriguez thrown around, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some good Big East coaches bail out.

But unless they stumble on a Gailey (overqualified coach who just happens to be local and available) (maybe Spurrier?) if I was them I would hire the guy at Northern Illinois assuming he is capable of bringing nearly his entire staff.

One more name while throwing names out is Paul Johnson at Navy, but he seems a better candidate for Duke.

Quote:

Has anyone heard any talk of Tenuta as a coaching candidate? I guess we're just lucky that Tech is a fairly low profile place. I really don't know the first thing about him except that he can coach some defense

Not so fast, my friend.
A friend of mine pretty involved with IPTAY over the last several years tells me that Coach T's name has come up a few times.

Originally posted by GTCrew:

One more name while throwing names out is Paul Johnson at Navy, but he seems a better candidate for Duke.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Paul Johnson is doing a great job at Navy. Had a rough going last year, but they've turned it around and are having a pretty good year.

I was kind of hoping that GT would take a look at Johnson after O'Liar left but he was picked up by Navy pretty quickly.

Clemson would do well to get Johnson. Let's hope he stays at Navy.

BBR

The Tiger faithful will probably want Danny Ford to come back...again. They begged for him after Ken Hatfield left. They begged for him after Tommy West left. Maybe the third time's a charm.
wink.gif

Back