Who Loses, Who Wins?

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
Personal Opinion.

The ACC was the big loser in their decision to add Virginia Tech and Miami to the ACC.

The BiG East was the winner by keeping Boston College, Syracuse, and losing Miami. The Big East can replace Miami easily.

If I was the Big East conference lackey, I would be agressively courting Maryland and Penn State to join my conference. If I was Maryland, I would rather be in that conference now, than have to travel to Miami.

The loss of Miami by the Big East is really a bonus for them. No longer does the other teams have to travel a great distance to play them.

The ACC sunk further into the hole with the admittance of a team from Blacksburg and a team from Miami, which is further remote than both Syracuse or Boston College.

Virginia Tech adds no revenue, it is a place hard to visit by air, it is in the remote mountainous area. it has no major media outlets to help promote the ACC, it has no influence. Its only fame at this time is Michael Vick, who is gone, and Beamer, who could be gone in a few years.

Miami is in a location far remote from the rest of the league. No team in the ACC gains from this addition, because it is too far for most to travel by automobile.

At one time, Miami was a great place to travel for vacation. It is no longer a desired place to visit. Miami and the keys are no longer places where a family likes to visit.

The ACC not only has the four North Carolina teams to contend with, but it now has two Virginia teams who must always side with each other on every move because of their legislature.

Today is a bad omen for Georgia Tech, Clemson, and FSU.

I doubt Tech will ever be back in the SEC, but it is now their best option if they are ever invited. The only other alternative is the formation of a new league should other teams become interested.

If Vanderbilt cannot overcome their attendance problems, and recruiting problems, it is possible there may be an opening in the SEC in a few years down the road. Personally, I do not like the SEC anymore because of their underhanded recruiting and other dealings, but we may be running out of options.

If ill health were to remove Frank Broyles, Arkansas might consider one of the conferences in the SouthWest and withdraw from the SEC. That would also leave an opening in the SEC.

If I were GT, FSU, and Clemson, I would get together informally and talk some strategy. It is possible over the long haul to slowly gain the confidence of more viable teams for a new league.

drinking.gif

Cant see UMd going to the Big East. But if they did maybe we could get the Fridge back.

GTFish, Fridge would not leave Maryland. I feel sure he had rather be in the Big East than with the four teams from North Carolina.

I also do not think he would ever come back to GT, because he is a close friend of O'Leary. It is a given, O'Leary could never come back, and Friegden knows all this, thus he would never consider it.

Anyway, we have a coach, and with a little luck on his part, he might be here for years. Even if Ralph called up Braine and said he was interested in the Tech job, Gailey would not be dismissed unless he has a disastrous year in 2003.

The chances are slim and none that Ralph will ever be back at GT.

wink.gif

The best thing ever just happened for the ACC, that is when they add enough teams to have a playoff.

Miami just brought national stature to the league. Prior to Miami, FSU occaisionally could hope to crack a shot at the big one. Miami is a consistent top 10. Miami is a football powerhouse and is located in the state of Florida, as opposed to a New York based school that is farther to travel to. Miami brings national tv ratings and outside of Notre Dame carries the most national media coverage of any college.

Virginia Tech will fit right into our league. They travel well, since they have a great following. The area is accessable for away games and has a great atmosphere for college football. VT offers a chance to develop great rivalries since they are situated in the south.

Both schools are committed to football, just what we needed until we can boot UNC and Duke out.

Welcome Hurricanes and Hokies.

The best thing ever just happened for the ACC
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">12th Team? What school would dare talk to the ACC after the way they chucked BC and Syracuse? Don't forget, now you have 2 VA votes, 4 bacos, and 2 FL votes to contend with.

Do you get the feeling that Tech is being left on an "island of impotentcy" with only Clemson and FSU (for gosh sakes) to cling to going forward in votes.

Back