Who Replaces Chan??

GTg8r

Varsity Lurker
I'm ashamed/befuddled by Yesterday's performance.
Our guys were in shock from UGa's first offensive series. It's time for a new strength coach--football isn't about endurance, it's about physical punishing your opponent.

That said. If/when Chan leaves, the next coach must by young and able to sell ATLANTA.

Gordon Clinkscales mentioned that he didn't want to spend time in the middle of nowhere for college. I would guess that he is not alone in his sentiment.

So if you were making out a short list of names who fits that criteria.

Right now I have no idea...Chris Hatcher Charlie Strong

There are scores of hungry, young coaches who would love the opportunity. Friedgen and Richt were right under our noses. So was Spurrier, a few years back.
We need someone who understands Southern football, understands our UGA monkee, and has the personality to recruit like hell. He has to be smart enough to hire matured assistants who know their job and can also recruit.
If Wake Forist can hire a good coach, I know Tech could too if the right people are in charge of the process.
BOO

I wouldn't sweat over this issue for a few years. Chan will probably be the man for the forseeable future.

However, we might want to start tossing out names for a new Offensive Coordinator. I have a feeling that some of the assistants will take the fall for the Georgia loss, as Nebraska's assistants are going to for their 7-6 season, and Auburn's assistants did for their 2001 performance.

Hey, maybe we can get that Texas A&M OC after Slocum gets canned!

Listen, you may not know but Chan was the most winningest first year coach in Tech history. I have heard that O'brian has had no sasy so whatever with a lot of the offensive plays, it was all Gailey.

If and When....

speakers_bowden.jpg

Yikes! Not Tatertot?! There's only ever been one football coach in that family and he's past his prime. Tater's right where he belongs.

DustJacket,
I would have had little problem with Baby Bowden.
He'd still be at AU if Lowder wasn't always nosing around.
(To those who think nosy alums are necessary, see how AU is being ruined from top to bottom)

My gut tells me he's waiting for Daddy to leave FSU or for his own network show.

My money is on the former.
He should be getting the itch again

lil jacket,

Not sure where you see that Gailey had the best 1st of a Tech head coach. I believe he ranks 3rd or 4th.

Originally posted by lil'jacket:
i was told that by a huge member of the alumni
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">in this case size doesn't matter

laugh.gif

That's true. GAiley's 7-5 mark is the best ever for a 1st year Tech coach. Of course, no Tech coach ever got beat 51-7 by his archrival either.

It was an abysmal season with very good players... even if you look at the replacements they were better than most ACC teams sans F$U....
I've been a CG apologist but the UGAg game needs an explanation... unpreparedness is not one... I'm very disappointed in the way the team came out and the adjustments to the game from the very first series... intense or not... the head coach did not "put the fear of GOD" into the SA's ..... with apologies to CG... BUT... I think I could've lost to UGAg by 45 points.... I've tried to be open minded about this season... but after the DUKE game I was without emotion... now I know why... our coach has no 'killer instinct and it is a direct influence on the team...
...this is the first time that I will say this but I do believe that Coach Gailey should offer his resignation and that GT Football should reopen its search for a new Head Football Coach immediately... Monday I will open a new topic with my reasons why... the 1st being that there has been little or no discernable improvement in the overall performance of the team...i.e. this is the same team that played Wake Forest, many months ago... we were manhandled on Saturday and there should have been some changes and preperation since the WF game... what I saw on Saturday was a poorly prepared coaching staff... and that is not fair to the players that represent GT....

It is not true. John Heisman was 8-1-1, Bill Alexander was 8-1, and Bill Fulcher was 7-4-1. What concerns me was it sounds like a big alumni was defending his record this year.

Wrecked, I stand corrected. I was just about to post something about Fulcher being 7-4-1.

How about the Dawgs DC Brian Van Gorder. I've been impressed with him. He's young (30's), motivates is players and makes terrific 2nd half adjustments (and we all know we have been severly crippled in that dept.), and word is he's a very good recruiter. The fact he is a Mutt(for the moment) should have no bearing on him on him as a candidate. If we don't act now we may lose the opportunity just as we did with Fridge. I don't believe he will be with the Dawgs as a DC very long before he will get his chance somewhere. Better here than somewhere.

Some of our posters believe Tech was created 1 year before they entered.

Goldtimer did an analysis way back to the beginning. Here is his report from the Hive:

GT has had 11 full-time, paid coaches. CG is tied with GO'L was the 4th best record in the first 12 games.

Analyze/spin it as you like. These are just the cold hard facts (assuming no errors - possible as it's hand calculated using a slide rule).

0.917 11-1-0 William Alexander ('20) - ret. aft. '44 - 134-95-15 (.580) 25 yrs
0.875 10-1-1 John Heisman ('04) - left after '19 - 102-29-7 (.779) in 16 years
0.625 7-4-1 Bill Fulcher ('72) - resigned after 2nd yr - 12-10-1 (0.543) rec.
0.583 7-5-0 Chan Gailey ('02) - future TBD
0.583 7-5-0 George O'Leary ('95) - .612 for 7 years - left for ND (not) in '01
0.500 6-6-0 Bobby Dodd ('45) - resigned as HC after '66 - 165-64-8 (.713) 22 yrs
0.500 6-6-0 Pepper Rodgers ('74) - left after '79 - 34-31-2 (.522) over 6 yrs
0.500 6-6-0 Bill Lewis ('92) - resigned after loss to FSU in '94 - 11-19 (.367)
0.417 5-7-0 Bud Carson ('67) - terminated after '71 - 27-27-0 (.500) over 5 yrs
0.250 3-9-0 Bobby Ross('87) - went pro after '91 - 31-26-1 (.543) over 5 yrs
0.208 2-9-1 Bill Curry ('80)- left for AL after '86 - 31-43-4 (.423) over 7 yrs

Pls. reply with any corrections, and I'll edit the post with thanks in advance (to save a reply).

The people who know are far more knowledgeable than us about Georgia Tech and football worked hard to get Jimmy Robinson hired. I respect their judgment and think we erred when we failed to support their decision.

They know far more about this matter than the pseudo keyboard analysts posting on this board.

Why not take the word of the experts who love Georgia Tech?

Is there anyone here that knows more about Georgia Tech and football than Kim King?

Goldbuzz, I guess it is a possibility. There are some good ones around, especially Larry Morris, but there would be few with Kim Kings faithfulness and savy of tech football.

l'iljacket, whoever made O calls should not be proud of it. This was one of the most boring O's we have had in quite some time. It resembled CG's O at Miami - predictable and BORING!!

Back