Who's on the Hot Seat

CGC Is as untouchable as any other coaches right now— even Saban. Stansberry put a huge ring on his finger. His contract would bankrupt the athletic department if we tried to fire him in the next 3 years.

CGC Is as untouchable as any other coaches right now— even Saban. Stansberry put a huge ring on his finger. His contract would bankrupt the athletic department if we tried to fire him in the next 3 years.

No reason to change CGC at this point. He is holding up his end of the bargain. But there are enough players on this team that fit the system to tell if the OC or DC are quality or not. Historic blowouts or shutouts should be a thing of the past.

You've got to consider new hires also. I would consider new hires every year as untouchable unless some past scandal involving them was brought to light.

Fair enough, though many of the guys listed as untouchable are not new hires. I'm also unclear on the functional distinction between "untouchable" and "safe and secure." If you're only untouchable until you have a bad season or two or three, that doesn't sound so untouchable, which is why I think that last category is being applied way too liberally.

And yeah, I totally get that at the end of the day this is all pointless and about generating clicks.

You've got to consider new hires also. I would consider new hires every year as untouchable unless some past scandal involving them was brought to light.

Auburn's first year coach, Harsin, got a 2 "all good...for now". Sounds about right for Auburn. We've seen new hires get the axe before, O'leary and Mike Price come to mind. One had a past scandal and the other created a new scandal right off the bus.

There's absolutely no reason a good coach would go to VPISU

Not a coach with a name, perhaps, but VPISU is good proving grounds for a guy who thinks he can croot. It's that simple to put them back in the spotlight, all you have to do is return their recruiting to the level it was at before Beamer got old and you're in the money. They might get a good coach, but I think keeping him will be the problem. After Beamer, I think their heads are going to spin at how fast their good coaches take other jobs.

No reason to change CGC at this point. He is holding up his end of the bargain. But there are enough players on this team that fit the system to tell if the OC or DC are quality or not. Historic blowouts or shutouts should be a thing of the past.
Agree. With the exception of Clemson and Georgia, we have enough players that the other games should be competitive.

I don't have any insider knowledge, but I've always felt like Thacker is basically an avatar for CGC. He knows enough to take care of a good chunk of the planning and whatnot, but he won't object whenever CGC wants to take a more active role in DC for a time. For that reason, I doubt CGC would fire Thacker pretty much ever unless we get 45+ put up on us for like 6 straight games.
Patenaude is probably different, and I could see us moving on from him more quickly (although I think he is actually a positive at the moment).

Good Grief. This year I see some individuals who pos,t that maybe the fan base will ask them to leave. I mean it's time for them to up their game...I could definitely see some of our so called fans moving on soon.

I don't have any insider knowledge, but I've always felt like Thacker is basically an avatar for CGC. He knows enough to take care of a good chunk of the planning and whatnot, but he won't object whenever CGC wants to take a more active role in DC for a time. For that reason, I doubt CGC would fire Thacker pretty much ever unless we get 45+ put up on us for like 6 straight games.
Patenaude is probably different, and I could see us moving on from him more quickly (although I think he is actually a positive at the moment).
We know nothing about Patenaude at this point. This will be the first year he has had anything resembling a P5 offensive line to work with. But this year we should be back scoring points against most defenses we see.

Back