Who's Running the Show?

75Jacket

Varsity Lurker
Who\'s Running the Show?

Having considered what the media has put before us, I am sickened by recent events with revelations in recent coaching hires.

GT has always held itself to a higher standard academically and otherwise. After having graduated, I learned long ago that these standards extend beyond graduation to honesty and ethics professionally and personally.

The O'Leary matter behind us, I believe all of us looked toward a new beginning...a fresh start, with a new regime and most importantly, a new attitude. This new attitude would affect (as it should) the players initially. With their renewed enthusiasm, it would quickly spread to the alumni and fan base. (You can forget the AJC! Even if we played 12 games and won the Rose Bowl, they would find fault.)

Am I missing something here, though? Aren't the chances to correct one's resume just before it is submitted to the prospective employer? It does not matter how many times you attempt to make a resume correction. If it is not corrected, you continue your efforts until it IS corrected.

Intentionally leaving a supposed fact ON a resume is the same as an outright lie. It is the end-result that should matter most to an individual's sense of ethics and pride in his/her profession.

Explanations thus far by both newly-hired coaches are lame at best.

Whom to blame is irrelevant now. Rid GT of the falsifiers and return the Tech program to one of integrity.

Re: Who\'s Running the Show?

WOW, that is a hulluva first post 75. What can you say? I agree with you.

I feel that something has to be done. Hopefully it is something short of firing them but if that is what the school decides I will support the decision.

I have already faced the snickers in my office. I am always touting GT as a cut above. Sometimes if you are a cut above you have to be the heavy.

Welcome to the fight 75, hope to hear from you again real soon.

Amen 75! You echo my sentiments of the past 7 days

"Aren't the chances to correct one's resume just before it is submitted to the prospective employer?"

We're not talking about resumes, 75. We are talking about puffery from some PR flak.

I think this horse is dead.

Law, 75, and Mac... I disagree with you... I dont know enough here to call anyone a liar... and, obviously neither does Clough... are we saying that both DB and CG have these lower standards as well since they didnt accept the resignations... or could it be that they have a much better perspective than has been presented in the AJC... if these guys sat down and penned this crap, then I am with you... if it was manufactured by someone else, ex SID, then I am not...

If I take your lead here... I am saying that I have full confidence in Hollis... I have full confidence in the perspectives presented by the AJC....etc... I dont... in fact... I am going to cancel my subscription to the paper ... 3 straight days on the front page is a little ridiculous... I am over those guys...

I'm with Jacket Guy on this. I say that we need to let DB and CG handle this. Put procedures in place to stop this nonsense. As someone said above, it's not a resume that is being falsified...it's mistakes on a PR BIO authored by an SID guy.
Man, am I ready for some other news.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jacketguy:
Law, 75, and Mac... I disagree with you... I dont know enough here to call anyone a liar... and, obviously neither does Clough... are we saying that both DB and CG have these lower standards as well since they didnt accept the resignations... or could it be that they have a much better perspective than has been presented in the AJC... if these guys sat down and penned this crap, then I am with you... if it was manufactured by someone else, ex SID, then I am not...

If I take your lead here... I am saying that I have full confidence in Hollis... I have full confidence in the perspectives presented by the AJC....etc... I dont... in fact... I am going to cancel my subscription to the paper ... 3 straight days on the front page is a little ridiculous... I am over those guys...
<hr></blockquote>

Maybe I am jaded by my occupation, but if something is misrepresented and you knew about it then YOU will pay the price.

I am trying to understand people's feeling of "this is no big deal." But I just dont feel that way. If I saw something printed that I knew was inaccurate (my understanding is they both knew there was inaccurate info out there). The first thing I do is send a letter to people documenting the inaccuracy and asking them to retract it.

This may seem harsh, but what else can you say. When I hear stuff like "I tried to change it." What does that mean?

Did Auther Andersen try to change there inaccurate financial reportings? You may say that is an idiotic anology, but is it? Should you mislead people? Is it ok to mislead people a little bit? Is it ok to let other people mislead people on your behalf?

I want everyone who reads this to ask yourself this question. If this was an instructor how would you feel or if this was a student how would you feel.

I believe that if you have certain standards they should apply accross the board. I believe it is hypocritical for a school to have an "honor code" and not have it apply to the faculty.

Do I think these coaches should be "fired?" NO, but if the school thinks they should I will support it and understand it.

Dr. C is running an institute of higher learning not a hot dog stand.

A remedy could be a public reprimand and give back a very small portion of their salary.

Similar to what happened to Dubose at Alabama and No I am not comparing the two incidents, but at the same time I do not compare GT to Alabama

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bugboy:
I'm with Jacket Guy on this. I say that we need to let DB and CG handle this. Put procedures in place to stop this nonsense. As someone said above, it's not a resume that is being falsified...it's mistakes on a PR BIO authored by an SID guy.
Man, am I ready for some other news.
<hr></blockquote>

bugboy,

So typical of society today to blame it on somebody else. Do you have info we do not? "Mistakes on a PR bio authored by an SID guy...?"

If you were submitting personal info to an administrative assistant, would you not want to proof-read it prior to sending?

Keep in mind the coaches do not submit this info nor do they usually have any input on its content. See earlier articles concerning the process.

What I'm saying is, there's more to it than a coach sending a resume to be directly published. The coach provides some info and the SID folks put it together and try to make it coherent and produce a completely different document. Sometimes, schools just take what a previous school's Bio says. And remember, new coaches are often on the road recruiting and probably don't even read these things for a while. In the past, Smith corrected errant info and I believe he would have if given time here.

In the Smith case, I think the SID blew it. In the other case, I'm not sure what happened.

Whatever is decided by the powers that be, I'll stand by it.

Now, next topic.

The same press guide lists Kelly Rhino at 179 too. I doubt I will renew my season tickets for the 7th year becuase I am sure I am not worthy. DB said nothing false was submitted and I believe Smith has been done wrong, to out detriment. And byt he way, Robinson's error is like GOL, lying about a degree. If anybody should go its Robinson.

Robinson never lied about anything. Get your facts straight before you insult our coach.

Now that the whole mess is in the open, we see that it was Smith who went along with the false info. We'll never know for sure if he really submitted the false info, but it's looking like he did. For that reason, he deserved to go.

Robinson had nothing to do with his bio mess. He told them to correct it, they refused. Tech didn't bother checking to see if it was accurate. Robinson stays. I really want to stop talking about this subject, but people keep bringing up words like "lying" and "resume". I really do wish we could let it go.
frown.gif

Excuse me, somebody lied since its not true. The point is now that GT thinks they are ND political correctness is more important than winning football. UGAG or FSU go to far greater lenghts to protect rapists and shoplifters. So my point remains, its February, with no DC so I guess there is a reason why we are not being picked in the top 25 isn't there? I am voting with my dollars and there will not be season 7.

DaveTech, why are you bragging that you're not going to renew your season tickets repeatedly? If you don't agree with the decision then so be it. Don't come on the forum and try to compel others to follow suit. Live with the decision or leave. Maybe my seats will be a couple better. Kinda like a marriage here, stick with us through thick or thin. BYE!
thefinger.gif

Is there anyone else ready to move on? These are serious problems with the bio's etc. and I feel they have been addressed. IMHO, we are flogging a dead equine for most members on this board don't have the power to make the necessary personnel decisions. We do have the right to express ourselves in which ever manner we choose but since the decisions have been made let's turn out the lights on this show, please.

THWG

bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif

My two cents... I will admit, that I think this whole bio gate thing was sad... it seemed to be more of a witch hunt than anything .... Hollis trying to get a story, blah, blah, blah ... but, it happened, decisions were made, and whether I like the circumstances or not, somewhere along the line I have to ask myself, did the people making the decisions have more information than myself, ... they did... then either I trust their ability to make the decision or not... and in this case, I do... I still dont like that it happened, nor do I like the publicity that it has caused Tech... but, the program will move forward, we will get past all of this, and to tell you the truth, I believe our program and school will be stronger because of it... I am not concerned where our recruiting class is ranked, and I am not concerned at this point where we are ranked for next season.... I believe we will bring quality kids into the program again, and I believe that we are going to field a team next year that will surprise some people... and this time next year... people are going to be talking about the great job that Chan did... what a fine OC BOB is... and that GT is getting ready to rake in another fine crop of athletes... I have been a supporter of Tech for a long time, and have not always agreed with the decisions that have been made by the administration, but, when I look back just 20 years ago... we have come along way... we will be fine, and I will continue to support my Yellowjackets.....

Originally posted by 1TechFan:
DaveTech, why are you bragging that you're not going to renew your season tickets repeatedly? If you don't agree with the decision then so be it. Don't come on the forum and try to compel others to follow suit. Live with the decision or leave. Maybe my seats will be a couple better. Kinda like a marriage here, stick with us through thick or thin. BYE!
thefinger.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think that is the first finger gremlin directed at another poster.

First the JacketGuy post and now this. This has been a momentous day on stingtalk.

Oh, so its agree with you or get lost. I see. Look, CG went to KY and asked Smith to come to Tech. Smith submitted nothing to Tech with any misinformation or lies. He was fired. It is wrong. And if he gets fired, so should Robinson. Lying about a degree is more serious than lying about being a player. all I am saying is if this petty stuff is more important than good football coaches good luck. I don't think that the way to win football games is to canabolize your own.

That's right Dave...either agree with us or get out of here. We have no room for disagreement here. Screw you and your own thoughts...

Just kidding. I think Law is right. That was the first "finger" post directed at another font.
grin.gif

At this point and time, what does it really matter. No one on this board knows what actually happened or was discussed behind closed doors and probably never will, so basically everyone is arguing over something that they know nothing about. It's over, drop it and lets move on. It was a terrible thing, it has hurt our recruiting, feelings, pride, and no telling what else, so why dwell on it anymore. Just my .02 worth

Back