Why ACC revenues trail others

Rookie move? Should be a disgrace that our AA screws us.

It's not our AA it's just the nature of the beast for visiting section tickets, and in a lot of cases, the allocations that the bowls give to the individual schools. You can in lots of instances do better going through other sources.

Ideally we wouldn't have been nerds and would have taken WVU instead of BC or Cuse. That would have made Pitt more worth it.

Miami and VPI were good additions. Louisville for Maryland is probably a wash.

I don't miss playing NCST and Wake enough to pine for the old ACC. Do miss FSU though.

Louisville is a much better get than Maryland was a loss.

Louisville is a much better get than Maryland was a loss.

I think Maryland was better for regional rivalries and geographic footprint. Obviously better for media market but that's very overrated metric imo. Louisville is stronger in hoops but Maryland wasn't exactly a slouch under Gary Williams. Louisville has probably more upside in football due to the fan base.

I think Maryland was better for regional rivalries and geographic footprint. Obviously better for media market but that's very overrated metric imo. Louisville is stronger in hoops but Maryland wasn't exactly a slouch under Gary Williams. Louisville has probably more upside in football due to the fan base.

Maryland's media market is over rated. I would bet Louisville draws a bigger market share than Maryland despite not being a population center. What regional rivalry are you referring to with regards to Maryland that anyone misses?

Maryland's media market is over rated. I would bet Louisville draws a bigger market share than Maryland despite not being a population center. What regional rivalry are you referring to with regards to Maryland that anyone misses?

Not rivalries that anyone are going to write home about... just games and fan bases that are closer to proximity with one another. UVA and VPI probably generated a lot more fanfare within that local area when they played UMd vs. Louisville. It's not a huge deal but it is something.

I wish we’d bite the bullet and do north and south divisions similar to the SEC (Missouri, wtf?). I don’t care if ours would have Miami Clemson and FSU. It be a tough division, but we’ve had some tough teams. And natural rivalries.

If gtflunkout thinks I hate the ACC & think Tech is no good, he's the one who doesn't "get it." I love Tech and accept that the ACC was our best option, when we joined. But I used to go to all the home and road games, even after we added FSU. I even went to them at VPI. But, the other new schools are too far away for the ACC to be a regional conf. And excuse me for not buying into everything that the conf does, but the league would have been better off, if it had to expand, if it had added FSU & VPI and skipped the others. There is no football atmosphere at Pitt, BC, or Syracuse football games, no matter where they're played. And Miami may have a good history of success and may put a talented team on the field, but they still have an empty stadium most of the time and no fan base that travels, so I wouldn't miss them, either. If we should ever get invited to the Big 10 or SEC, we should go in a heartbeat. The Big 10 for the stability & money & the SEC for everything. But, I don't think we'll get invited to join the SEC, & I think we missed our chance to join the Big 10. So, I want to make the ACC as attractive to Tech fans as possible.

By the way, UGA has enough attractive league opponents to sell enough season tickets to guarantee much better crowds for the SEC's less attractive teams than our schedule will ever bring in for the ACC's weak teams. I never said the SEC was perfect, but it's way ahead of the ACC. And people who can't see that are blind or in severe denial.

Our conf schedule next year;

Clemson
UVA
Duke
Miami
@ Louisville
@ VPI
@ UNC
@ Pitt

You used to go to all the home and road games until they got too far... so which ones on the schedule are you not going to next year? Since Pitt is the same distance as Maryland used to be, shouldn't be an issue right? Did you enjoy the game day atmosphere in College Park all those years?

Unfortunately for us, there is usually is a healthy contingent of Miami fans at our games.

Saying we have attendance problems because we play Syracuse and BC on our schedule once every five or six years...

Last edited:
It is not just us, college football in general is starting to have attendance problems. I think part of the problem is that due to greed, it is harder to be a fan than it was 20 years ago. We locked down the radio feed so that you had to pay a fee to hear it in many areas. Thanks, but I'll find something else to do before I pay to listen to the radio feed. Our marquee game is the UGA game each year; but if you want to watch it you may have to buy the SEC Network, and again some sidewalk fans are just finding other things to do instead. If you don't have the right cable network you aren't watching GT play certain games during the season, sorry, go find something else to do. I even see it on here every season where loyal posters (fans) are scrambling to find a way to watch the game through some pirate link [@Pitt may be the hidden game this year]; the average would be fan just finds something else to do.

Accessibility drives up interest, which drives up fan base. I'm not a marketing guy; but I'm surprised they didn't see how that $10 profit for internet feed wasn't killing the franchise long term. There have been some changes recently to improve things through various apps; but it may be too little too late. The newspapers used to keep college football in everyone's purview; but that avenue is dead now.

Again, it isn't just a GT thing; I see this same problem across college football with the exceptions being the top tier programs that get lots of network primetime. If GT has any unique problem I don't think it is the schedule, it is probably that the school brings in extremely high quality students that have little and sometimes no interest in spectator sports; there is not an easy solution for that.

I'm not going to Louisville or Pitt. To me, Louisville isn't worth the drive, and playing football against Pitt in a 75% empty stadium is more depressing than exciting. Yea, Maryland wasn't always a great atmosphere, but it was the State university there, and I got used to going to Tech games there, when I worked in D.C.

How do you rank the game day atmosphere of ACC teams? Here's mine:

Clemson - Great at home and on the road, regardless of their record.
FSU - Great, when they're playing great. Some empty seats, when they're not. Travel well.
VPI - Similar to FSU, but awfully dreary on many days I've been there.
GT - Recent problems on the field and in filling BDS. But think the AD is doing very well. At least Tech cares enough to have recognized our problems & undertaken steps to address them.
UNC - Good, when they're good. But pretty bad, when they're not. And their fans are dreaming about basketball season.
Louisville - Good crowds at home, but I keep thinking they're not really what we want in ACC b/c of academics & scandals.
NC State - Good when they're good. Pretty good when they're not.
UVA - OK, but the last time I thought they really cared about football was 1990.
Duke - Getting better on the field and in the stands, but only when compared to what Duke was before Cutcliff.
Miami - Unless they think they're headed to the BCS, their stadium looks empty & is an embarrassment. But, I know they have talent & think Richt will do a good job.
BC - They fill up their stadium pretty well & do the best they can w/football. If I'm ever in Canada during FB season, I will go if they're playing Tech.
WF - They do the best they can, but can't compete w/some Ga high schools for game day atmosphere.

I'm not going to Louisville or Pitt. To me, Louisville isn't worth the drive, and playing football against Pitt in a 75% empty stadium is more depressing than exciting. Yea, Maryland wasn't always a great atmosphere, but it was the State university there, and I got used to going to Tech games there, when I worked in D.C.

Maryland averaged 39,643 fans per home game versus Pitt's 36,295; neither are anything to shout about. GT averaged 46,885 for comparison. GT's attendance is about average for ACC (48,442), whereas Maryland's is way below the Big 10 average (66,227). It takes ~11 hours to drive to Maryland, ~6.5 to drive to Louisville, and ~11 hours to drive to Pitt; so I really don't understand saying it isn't worth the drive to Louisville (46,610) if you desire going to Maryland and game attendance is a substantial part of the decision matrix. I would rather drive to Louisville than the traffic congestion that is Maryland even if other factors were equal. If you prefer Maryland because you lived there for a while I get it; but that isn't the typical fan's situation.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2017.pdf

i went to UMD games when i lived in the area. their upper seating section for visitors is “a bit” steep. bring some rope and a sherpa

good point, aeromech. I guess my view of Md is tainted by the fact I lived up there & still know people there. By the way, just because there are places I wouldn't want to travel to doesn't mean I don't hope as many Tech fans as possible will go to them. I love to see Tech fans at away games that I watch on TV.

Stupid post. What does a college education have to do with supporting a team or buying apparel? Most donations come from graduates of the school. You would think that with all the "success" that our grad crow about, our donations would be higher.
Isn't that the damn truth! It's been pointed out many times how Tech grads have a high percentage of millionaires. If that's true many do not donate to Tech, otherwise we would not go begging for money.

Back