Why bash the play calling?

GT4Life

Varsity Lurker
Did you not see the 4 fumbles? Without those we would have won the game. Not CCG fault that the players couldn't hold onto the ball. I saw a offense that was able to move the ball. It was the fumbles that killed us, not the playcall.

We had a blocked punt. Was that a bad call to go after it?

Not CCG fault for the fumbles???????

Mmmmmmmmmm, I have always been led to
beelieve that if a team is coached on
fundamentals that fumbles, and stupid
penalties are not a common occurrence.

The first time I ever saw a CCG practice
the first statement out of my mouth was
that there was no discipline on the team,
and I still beelieve that today.

GT4Life said
Not CCG fault that the players couldn't hold onto the ball
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Baloney. A real coach that teaches and disiplines players will make you sleep with a ball if you drop it at practice. @$ hours a day, to class, to eat, to sleep. The embarrasment alone will make you hang on.

Same thing with receivers. No drops in practice.

Sloppy play is a reflection of the coach.

If you think you can be coached out of fumbling, you've never carried the ball and you've never been tackled.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
If you think you can be coached out of fumbling, you've never carried the ball and you've never been tackled.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">duh-huh. they were *supposed* to take a knee if they thought they were going to be hit.

Fumbles happen all the time. The world is an imperfect place.

That being said...WRAP UP IN TRAFFIC. That would be my message to the guys that had the ball stripped last night. We had too many guys that didn't wrap up, causing said fumbles.

I felt that BYU had worked very hard on knocking the ball loose from our wide outs and fullback. IMHO, they spotted something on film which gave them a clue to tackling GT receivers. Fred and Curry have not had a history of fumbling.

CCG advised one and all he would be pure vanilla in play calling. Also, there were some missed chances because of overthrows. All in all RB showed character and poise. Isn't this what we want in a QB?

IMHO, there were positives in the game, ie the Ball factor and the D-line's all out effort. There are things which need various shades of improvement: secondary play, O-line, and formations which disguise plays.

My feelings regarding season comparsions is the UNC season of 2001 and its progressions into a Peach Bowl invite and victory.

GO Jackets.
drinking.gif

Originally posted by bellyseries:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oh yes you can Belly. You can be coached to carry the ball properly so that, when you do get hit you have the ball trapped properly.

I watched the slo mo replay of Dixon's fumble. His arm was parallel to the ground, leaving the underside of the ball with no support. I am out of town, so i can't watch it on my Tivo right now, but I remember the replay distinctively. I started screaming as soon as I saw how he was carrying the ball a second before he got hit.

Coaching and proper technique would have prevented that fumble. Either his coach has failed him, or Dixon simply should not be allowed to caryy the football. I suppose the latter given his reputation for dropping the ball so much in practice.

Belly iit is POOR coaching of fundamentals and basic technique. If you don't think you be taught to protect the ball you need to study up a little more.

ATLANTA -- Tony Hollings might look like a geek walking across campus, but he's beginning to look better and better in the Georgia Tech backfield.

Plagued by fumble problems the first two weeks of spring practice, Hollings started carrying a football everywhere he went -- to class, the cafeteria, and back to his dorm room. Hollings' fumbles have gone down, but his stock keeps rising.

The converted safety had his finest moment of the spring Saturday, dominating the Yellow Jackets' second scrimmage with 13 carries for 103 yards and three touchdowns. Hollings did lose a fumble during a goalline situation, but came back with two scores on the next series of short-yardage plays.

With results like that, Hollings can handle some of the strange looks he's received walking around campus with his backpack slung over his shoulder and a football tucked in his right arm.

"I'm not embarrassed," he said. "Most of (the Tech players) understand. Most of them are like, "You're crazy for toting that football around.""

pjjacket, I don't think BYU did anything special for us, they just hit the ball as they made contact. You're supposed to do that if you get a chance. Dixon's fumble IMO was caused by the same concern many have always had about him, namely that he runs straight up. It leaves him open to hits like the one he got, directly on the arm holding the ball. He needs to learn to lower his shoulder into a tackler. It will help him protect the ball and will deliver a blow to the tackler as well.

Oh, I forgot. Football is all about coaches. Football players never catch on in 8th grade that they might fumble unless Ralph Friedgen tells them to protect the ball.

I repeat, if you think coaching causes fumbles, you've never been hit by somebody mean enough.

That's right Belly,

You would do well to study John Elway at Denver. When Mike Shannahan left to coach the Raiders Elway fell apart, continually fighting with Reeves. When Shannahan came back, Elway was again a star.

Mental is a big part of the game, its not just about weight lifting.

Did you read what I put up about Hollings???????-

Originally posted by DaveTech:
That's right Belly,

You would do well to study John Elway at Denver. When Mike Shannahan left to coach the Raiders Elway fell apart, continually fighting with Reeves. When Shannahan came back, Elway was again a star.

Mental is a big part of the game, its not just about weight lifting.

Did you read what I put up about Hollings???????-
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Elway fell apart?
laugh.gif

I don't think so. He was great at Stanford and in a class by himself with or without Shanahan "coaching" him.

Fumbles are part of the game. I'm sure if some of you guys were slammed around by 255 pound linebackers and 320 pound D linemen, you might fumble every so often too. I hate it when it happens, but if you think we're going to make it through the season without them, you must not watch much football.

I'm sorry but anybody who believes the turnovers cost us the game is living in a dream world. Here's the reality:

1.) Our top running back running behind our vaunted offensive line did not average 4 yards per carry. BYU had 100 more yards of total offense and nearly as many rushing yards even with their best running back out.

2.) While Tech did have 4 turnovers BYU also had 2 turnovers and a punt blocked.

3.) Tech did not score an offensive touchdown against a BYU defense that is not nearly as good as Auburn, FSU and Clemson.

4.) Most of Tech's yards came in the 4th quarter when Gailey abandoned the high school offense.

5.) Defensively Tech's secondary play was shaky at best. I thought the D-line actually hung pretty tough. We got 3 or 4 sacks.

6.) Special Teams outside the one kickoff were quite good.

7.) Realistically, we will be lucky to win 4 games.

the reason it is STUPID to bash the play calling is you would have CONFUSED our young qb.

By limiting the plays CG has built confidence in Reggie and the playbook will increase every week.

The guy is 18 y/o!

He was not even allowed to check off at the line.

When is the last time GT had 4 t/o's and won on the road?

DaveTech, you are absolutely right, mental is a HUGE part of the game. And it's the player's mind that is of interest. If a guy is so much of a football dipstick that he doesn't learn in 8th grade that he has to protect the ball and avoid fumbling, then Socrates himself couldn't teach him in college.

Back