Why Brent Key should not be the HC

GTFLETCH

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
The Georgia Tech Offensive Line
This is where Georgia Tech has struggled the every season under CGC. Everyone knew it would take awhile for the Yellow Jacket offensive line to transition away from the Paul Johnson scheme into a regular offensive system. It requires a completely different type of personnel, and it’s been a very difficult process for Georgia Tech. However none of the current below players have ever played for Coach Paul Johnson. So the issue is who the heck is the OL Coach and why his that person not developing his players.

Not a single Jacket offensive lineman has graded out at the PFF baseline of 60 this season. Here is the starting lineup with the respective grades…

LT Corey Robinson II (6-5, 294, r-Fr.): 51.5
LG Pierce Quick (6-5, 291, r-So.): 56.2
C Weston Franklin (6-4, 316, So.): 47.3
RG Joe Fusile (6-6, 316, r-Fr.): 57.5
RT Jordan Williams (6-6, 312, So.): 54.6

All have had major pass protection issues, and they aren’t much better at run blocking. As a team, Georgia Tech’s pass blocking grade on PFF is a 38.3, which ranks No. 123 out of 131 Power 5 teams. Only UVA (No. 127) ranks worse in the ACC.

Brent Key is not a very good OL Coach and should be sent packing with CGC!

I don't disagree with your assessment, and I can look it up but do you happen to know their star ranking when they were recruited? Are any of these guys 4 stars?

I don't disagree with your assessment, and I can look it up but do you happen to know their star ranking when they were recruited? Are any of these guys 4 stars?
Coming out of High School.....

Corey Robinson II was a ESPN 3 Star http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/244373/corey-robinson-ii
Pierce Quick was a ESPN 5 Star http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/227644/pierce-quick
Weston Franklin was a ESPN 4 Star http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/233111/weston-franklin
Joe Fusile was a walk on and was unranked
Jordan Williams was a ESPN 3 Star http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/238114/jordan-williams

so it's basically a line of r-Freshman, r-Junior, Junior, r-Freshman, Junior

Only if you are going to add the same year to every other team's players. Best to look at it as listed, since that is how teams with r-Jr and r-Sr laden lines are going to be.

Those who disagree with @GTFLETCH....have we looked better on the OL the last month?

Has anyone seen any real improvement whatsoever?
Problem with last game was I think we played ultra conservative in the first half, trying to mistake proof the game for our QB's.

Second half, the defense wilted

Only if you are going to add the same year to every other team's players. Best to look at it as listed, since that is how teams with r-Jr and r-Sr laden lines are going to be.
I'm ok with adding it to other teams as well. It definitely increases the expectations for coaches across all teams.

I'm not disagreeing either, but how many other teams are starting three sophomores and two freshmen?
Pierce Quick has played three season at Bama before coming to tech (his 4th) however with covid eligibility he is soph? I do not think we have any True Freshman starting. But to your point yes we are young, we have talent, just the boys aren't being coached up. I wonder why?

woah 2019! And still a sophomore.
Covid eligibilty. Jeff Sims is listed as a Sophmore... Speaking of Jeff Sims, he has made our OL look better, but the bottom line is that we need an OL coach who can develop talent, haven't seen that out of Coach Key here on the flats yet, I am not sure he has teh ability to do so, nothing during his time here suggest that he can develop an OL.

This is what needs to be focused on during the presser. Why has he, an OL coach, been unable to make a good OL? Why do we still have so many issues?

I'm not disagreeing either, but how many other teams are starting three sophomores and two freshmen?
Any Oline guys that are decent will transfer out anyway when juniors or seniors, so how many times will this excuse work? Boils fown to coaching.

It is easily the weakest position group on the team, though.

We haven't recruited it well. But then again, we really haven't recruited well at any position on the offensive side the ball in my opinion, aside from a couple of bright spots like Gibbs.

Back