Why Brent Key should not be the HC

Yeah, the OL comes down to the OL coach. If it ain't working you have to eat the fallout. 2 things stick out to me though. 1) CBK has to know it's on him. Hes not stupid or inexperienced and 2) He's generally well regarded in the college football coaching world. (see Nick Saban) My gut feeling is he's out the door with pretty much everybody else, most likely a clean house, he knows it intuitively and he's just trying to do a good job for his alma mater afore the hammer falls. May even have resumes in the wind. I'll personally never denigrate an actual TECH man. He may not be the answer but he deserves some respect. I appreciate what he's trying to do and whatever happens I wish him all the best in the world.

The Georgia Tech Offensive Line
This is where Georgia Tech has struggled the every season under CGC. Everyone knew it would take awhile for the Yellow Jacket offensive line to transition away from the Paul Johnson scheme into a regular offensive system. It requires a completely different type of personnel, and it’s been a very difficult process for Georgia Tech. However none of the current below players have ever played for Coach Paul Johnson. So the issue is who the heck is the OL Coach and why his that person not developing his players.

Not a single Jacket offensive lineman has graded out at the PFF baseline of 60 this season. Here is the starting lineup with the respective grades…

LT Corey Robinson II (6-5, 294, r-Fr.): 51.5
LG Pierce Quick (6-5, 291, r-So.): 56.2
C Weston Franklin (6-4, 316, So.): 47.3
RG Joe Fusile (6-6, 316, r-Fr.): 57.5
RT Jordan Williams (6-6, 312, So.): 54.6

All have had major pass protection issues, and they aren’t much better at run blocking. As a team, Georgia Tech’s pass blocking grade on PFF is a 38.3, which ranks No. 123 out of 131 Power 5 teams. Only UVA (No. 127) ranks worse in the ACC.

Brent Key is not a very good OL Coach and should be sent packing with CGC!

I don't disagree that our OL has been sub-par, but I'm not really sure what those PFF numbers are. They are not averages for each player and we certainly have had games where OL graded higher than 60, but probably not average 60 over all the games. As expected, all OL that played against WCU scored over 60 and we had 6 OL grade out over 60 against Ole Miss ironically. Funny enough though that the Pitt game our OL had the lowest scores across the board for the season.

I feel kind of bad for ripping on our left tackle since he’s only a R-Fr. He was getting absolutely destroyed out there on Saturday (being tossed to the ground seemingly on every play). If you don’t believe me go back and watch if you dare.

I don’t really subscribe to the idea that a great HC must have also been a great position coach. The two roles are quite different, requiring their own unique set of skills. Deep knowledge vs broad. Ownership vs delegation. Leadership vs management. I think it’s easier if they have been wildly successful, but not a must.

I feel kind of bad for ripping on our left tackle since he’s only a R-Fr. He was getting absolutely destroyed out there on Saturday (being tossed to the ground seemingly on every play). If you don’t believe me go back and watch if you dare.
Robinson only played 13 snaps against FSU. True freshman Tyler Gibson saw his first college game action of his career Saturday and played 52 snaps at LT. He had a lower PFF score than Robinson but played a majority of the snaps. Not sure what was going on there, maybe Robinson is playing through an injury or something. We didn't see Leftwich at all but he's mostly been playing RT for Williams or either moving Williams to LT when he comes in... not sure why we never saw him either but maybe he's dinged up too.

And let's talk injuries as well while we are at it.

I LOL at anyone that says a former Bama OL coach doesn't know how to coach OL.

lol at anyone who sees “Bama” on a résumé and ignores 3.5 seasons of donkey.

lol harder at anyone (OP) who thinks a HC is judged by a position group he used to coach.

I'm curious how much of the OL planning was mandated by CGC. If we assume 2019 had no useful OL recruits, then starting with the 2020 class, we could have redshirted a whole OL in 2020, played them as r-Fr in 2021, then played them again as r-So in 2022. I'd argue we would not have been any worse than we are now, and we would have been in a better position for 2022 than we are now. I think the decision to plug and play bench riders from other programs for 1-2 years on the OL really hurt us.

A better thread title would be “Why Brent Key Deserves To Be HC”
-The only legit answer to the question is “because he’s a Tech man.” There is literally no other positive.

Back