Why do so many GT fans leave the game early?

GoldenTornado

Flats Noob
Not everyone that comes to our games is a die-hard GT fan the way we are.

My brother (who likes both GT and UGA, but is not die-hard) and my close friend Noles91 (from Seminole Territory) and his newphew were here this weekend. The three of them left the GT game at halftime so they could go back and watch other games. They'd seen all they needed or wanted to see about GT, and watching our third-teamers develop is not exciting to them.

Personally I'm just glad that GT football is interesting enough now that such people want to come to our games when they have a LOT of other entertainment options available. Heck, the folks visiting me actually drove 3 hours each way, just to visit a friend and watch Tech-Vandy, and they're not really even Tech fans.

If we were playing Auburn at 7:30 on ESPN, and Georgia was blowing out Duke at 6 PM, I believe you might see some folks leaving their game to watch our game and others at the tailgates and sports bars, or just going down to Lumpkin Street to tie another one on.

I think some of you read too much into CDE's post.

drinking.gif

Hey ahso, I'm not really "worried about another person's problems or actions", but I can't help but think that our 2nd and 3rd team would perform a little better if the fans would stick around and see what they had....

Kind of like showing up to a wedding and leaving before the vows, going to a Buffett show and leaving before "Fins". Why bother showing up at all? After spending the money on tickets, its a waste of time and money not to get the maximum enjoyment out of it. If you can't afford to pay the babysitter for those last 45 minutes, maybe you need to listen to the game on the radio.

I'm sure there are just as many good reasons for leaving the game early as there are for getting up and slipping out of church early on Sunday morning, it just strikes me as rude, thats all.

...And to all the hard workers on the 3rd team, I'll be cheering just as loud when you guys play in the 4th quarter as I do when the Reck takes the field!

Go Jackets!

One thing asho didn't mention is that some of the fans may have to leave early to go to the bank on the way home. They may choose to not direct deposit their paychecks, due to their fears of that it will cause a one world government, so they may need to get by the bank and get them deposited in person.

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

I for one during day games stay for the entire game but in a "blow out" situation and a night game to boot and with a 4 &1/2 to 5 hour drive home beating the crowd that always walks down the middle of Techwood. That few minutes does not cost me the 1/2 to an hour if I wait(I do listen on the radio) and it gets me home before dawn and YES I am a die hard Tech fan.

Oldfoggy, if you're driving 9-10 hours round trip for every home Tech game, noone is going to deny that you're a die hard Tech fan no matter what time you leave! :-)

Well I am DIE HARD TECH FAN and have been so since I was 7 back in 47. So if I leave a few mins early at leat it beats adding an hour to the trip.

Agree with Cropduster!! I know not everyone can stay but almost everyone can. That whole stadium emptied out by the middle of the 3rd quarter. And, this was Chan's first game and 1st win for GTech. I was disappointed as well. We stay until the end, home season is short and I like to be there at the end to cheer the coaches and team as the head back to lockeroom.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
Agree with Cropduster!! I know not everyone can stay but almost everyone can. That whole stadium emptied out by the middle of the 3rd quarter.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That ain't so! I was there till the end with littlewise and Browise just soaking it up. Ladywise and Punkinwise did leave early to reopen tailgating. There's been nuff said about this OK.

I was impressed that the team visited the band and the swarm after the game. That was special...

Seems like GT fans have a bad habit of packing up and heading home early on blowout games. Whats the big hurry? Getting a jump on the club crowd in Buckhead or something? If the fans can't stay for the whole game, can we really complain about a team that gives up in the 3rd quarter (ie, GT vs UGA 2001)?

My Saturday plans revolve around the game...period. I'm there to see the game and soak in as much game day atmosphere as I can. The season is too short to urinate part of it away by "hurrying back to the car to beat the traffic". On game day I get up early, tailgate like crazy, stay the whole time, tailgate after the game, and then go home and sleep like a baby. Am I in the minority here if I don't leave at halftime to "go out".....?

If I simply wanted to know who beat who, I would turn on ESPN that night and find out......

Opinions?

Go Jackets!

I stay the entired game. Enjoy watching guys that doen't get a lot of playing time getting in the game. To me it's just enjoyable being there. Last year I got to the games as they were starting because that's what the group I was with was doing. Changed back this year to getting to stadium early to watch warm ups. Do this for the same reason I stay late. This year we have 6 home games in 12 months. BDS is just a great place to be for me. Want to get as much of it as I can. No comparison if getting a great feel for the atmosphere when you get to the stadium early and watch it all unfold. Same with the team staying late. You get a feel for players that could be starters down the road. I want to be in on all that. Some people have diff priorities on game day.

Can understand people with kids and out of towners leaving during a blow out on a Sat. night.

I want to be there early and stay late regardless. That doesn't mean it's the best for everyone.

One thing I do wish....the students to get there eary and stay late. That would be great support for the team.

You can not live every one else's life for them. The game is probably your top priority, or, maybe your only priority. Each person has their priorities. Many may simply want to get out of the stadium and get back home to the wife and kids, and would like to be ahead of the traffic. You might not have any other responsibilities for that day and would prefer to hang around after the game.

If you will observe the games on TV, all blowout games will show a certain number of fans leaving the stadium early. You do not see many leaving in tight games. The other fan may be a bigger fan than you, but attends to other priorities that you don't have. The other person may be a regular fan of fifty years while you might be a newbie of ten years.

One couple may have a baby sitter at home making $6.50 an hour. Another may have taken a short respite from taking care of sick wife or husband and has to get back as soon as possible. Another may have a second appointment and faces a tight schedule.

Enjoy the game and don't worry about the other person's problems or actions. You will enjoy life more and live longer.

wink.gif

ahso,
It doesn't happen often, but I agree with your post.
cool.gif
cool.gif

Hope your move went well.

Back