Why Does 1998 Get So Overlooked?

The Jacket

The Coat
We broke a 7 game skid to Ugag, had one of the best quarterbacks in the nation , won a share of the ACC title, went to the Gator Bowl and beat Notre Dame, yet it still gets overlooked.

Some people say that 2000 was the best season we've had in recent history, and don't get me wrong, it was an outstanding season, but 1998 is hardly mentioned among Tech fans.

Anyone else notice this, or am I imagining things?

The '98 team was a pleasure to watch. We can only imagine what might have been had we not dropped the opening game vs. BC. I'd say it was the last team we've had which had a good balance between O and D.

CG is talking more about D so far this year, so hopefully we'll see some semblance of balance return, so the winner is not necessarily the last team to score.

I yearn for a D like the old Black Watch of the 80s. Only one team score more than 18 points on us in '85. If we'd have a Hamiltonian offense in those years, we'd have been dangerous.

I agree with both GT JT and G'timer. The 2001 team just seemed to be so unfocused at times, other than the UNC game. The team showed a lack of discipline (football discipline) in the Clemson & Maryland games, and then just looked uninspired at times in the UGA & FSU games.

I don't think anyone is overlooking the 1998 squad however. It set the bar much higher over the past few years. The 2000 team was much closer to being undefeated than the '98 team (close losses to NCSU & FSU in '00) headed into the bowl games.

I am truly hoping that we will finally see some real defense played. Anything resembling the 1985 or 1990 teams would be great.

Hey Goldtimer, did you ever post what year you graduated from Tech? Curious what years you were in school.

What did we go in 98. 10-2 or 10-3 don't remember but that was a fine hour in Tech sports. Even the hated ND fell to the Yellow Jackets. Sow hat do you say BeeWare.

Oldfoggy

bigthumbup.gif

Hey mate, Tech went 10-2 in '98. Double-digit win seasons are special. And I think Tech will get one this fall. Of course having that 13th game will help. However, the only other 2 times in Tech history we have played 13 games, we have gone 8-5 both times ('91 and '01). Ironically, both included bowl wins out west over Stanford. Let's just hope the '02 season doesn't turn out the same way the '92 year did - both had/will have debut coaches at the NATS.

FWIW, I have always considered 1998 O'Leary's finest moment at the NATS. 2000 was fun because it was so unexpected. Remember Braine making a complete idiotic move and even more idiotic statement to the media claiming we wouldn't reschedule the Va Tech at the end of the season because "we might be 6-5 and qualified for a bowl and a loss at Va Tech could keep us out" or words to that effect. Point being that is just how low the expectations were. 1999 and 2001 were disappointments vs. the high expectations. I can cut the 1999 bunch some slack because we lost a TON of senior leadership from the '98 team as well as our D-Coord. AND many senior defensive leaders. But the 2001 bunch can only be blamed on O'Leary. He had his eyes set on Notur Dumb the moment the Irish started so poorly last season. He was lost without Fridge. I agree with you. The '98 bunch was the best in recent memory. We are on a pattern where the even numbered years are fun and the odd numbered years don't meet expectations. What year is it?
wink.gif

Back