Why doesn't Jamie Newman have to sit out?

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
He's a talented kid and may do well with more talent around him at UGAg, but his stats are inflated because of the competition he played. Sure he had 2800+ passing yards, over 60% completions, good QBR, and led WF to an 8-5 season, but I did some more digging for evidence and it was even more damning than I thought. For starters, Newman did not play in the game against FSU, so he actually only accounts for 7 wins. We will take that game out completely when talking about Newman's stats.

The total combined record of all 13 teams WF played this season is 85-80 (79-73 excluding FSU), and that includes a 14-1 Clemson team that completely skews that stat. Excluding Clemson, the remainder of WF's schedule went 71-79 (65-72 again excluding FSU). Of those 13 teams, only 6 had winning records (14-1 Clemson, then two 8-5 teams and three 7-6 teams). One of those teams was G5 Utah State. So other than Clemson, they didn't play anybody else with more than 8 wins, and only ended up playing 3 teams total with 8+ wins. For reference we played 6 teams with 8+ wins. Against the 6 teams WF played with winning records, their record was 2-4. They did not beat a team with 8 or more wins, and only beat one team out of three with 7 or more wins. Below are Newman's stats separated by playing teams with a winning record vs teams with a losing record. His QBR averages are just straight 6 game averages, and that's not the way to do it because I think it's weighted by number of attempts, etc., but the average should still be pretty close. It's pretty obvious that his stats are where they are because of the competition played:

newmanstats.PNG

If we dive even further into that, when Newman played against teams with 8+ wins, he was 46/90 (49%) for 530 yards with 5 TD/6 INT. He had 33 rushes for 28 yards in those 3 games with 0 TD. Newman (and WF for that matter) had 2 wins over teams with winning records. None of this screams world beater to me.
I see a lot of picks in his future. May not play well for a fanbase accustomed to game managers.

GTRules

You’re Mamma
Had a patient tell me this morning that “we’re really excited to get that great QB from Wake”. I gave him a knee slap, giggled, and responded “You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear a uga fan say he’s excised to get a qb transfer from Wake”. There was an awkward silence and he basically said “damn...”
I bet the ööööer went a little light on the novacane too.