Why recruit kids that are weak academically?

Buzzed

Varsity Lurker
I was reading on the Auburn Board about a kid we're recruiting that has me perplexed. I hear all the time that we don't recruit the kids that are lousy students, but why are we involved with the Gooden WR in Americus? His brother was a top recruit that didn't come close to qualifying, finally got his GED, and now is trying to get into a Kansas junior college. This younger Gooden's academics look to be quite similar as even though he's remarkably talented, no school's have yet offered him because apparently his chances of qualifying look so slim. That said, he says he's hearing from Ga Tech. If our academic standards are as high as we like to say, why are we involved with kids like this?

I wouldn't be too concerned with that this early. Just because we might have contacted doesn't mean that we are anywhere close to offering. FWIW, we have less than 15 offers out now.

Trust the Force Luke!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Why? Because sometimes you don't just judge a book by its cover. Sometimes there is more to a person than what some standardized test score says. Sometimes you have to make a judgement on a person's character and desire. Sometimes, especially with young people, they mature later not only athletically but academically. Sometimes people will surprise you if you have a little faith in them. That is why.

something else to consider...

some great GT student/athletes were marginal at admission. You are going to have to trust your coaches to make the right decisions.

But I will tell you there is no greater reward then admitting a marginal student and seeing that young man apply himself and obtain a college degree.

it's funny that when chan got here people were complaining that he wasn't persuing kids from georgia and the surrounding states. now that he is establishing relationships with the coaches of these schools we hear the complaint that we shouldn't be persuing these type of kids. it makes one wonder what some of our fan base really wants.

ATLpanther, It just depends on the people doing the complaining, that's all.

I agree with Texstinger and Law_bee.

I have always had HORRIBLE standardized test scores. For some reason I just don't do well on them. But in the classroom I've done very well. I've been an A-B student, and my test scores would suggest otherwise.

The older I get, the better I do. It means more to me now at 30 than it did at 19. So there is a lot to be said for maturity, and little to be said for comparing two siblings. Me and my sister are opposites in this regard.

Now I WANT to make an A in Cal, not just pass.

I think you have to look at the big pic, not just test scores. Put him in a different environment and he could thrive.

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading on the Auburn Board about a kid we're recruiting that has me perplexed. I hear all the time that we don't recruit the kids that are lousy students, but why are we involved with the Gooden WR in Americus? His brother was a top recruit that didn't come close to qualifying, finally got his GED, and now is trying to get into a Kansas junior college. This younger Gooden's academics look to be quite similar as even though he's remarkably talented, no school's have yet offered him because apparently his chances of qualifying look so slim. That said, he says he's hearing from Ga Tech. If our academic standards are as high as we like to say, why are we involved with kids like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

couple of things:
1) Gooden stated on Rivals.com that he was receiving most of his attention from FSU, Auburn, and Florida...and he likes Florida best. He also said that he wished UGA and GT would send him more stuff.
2) We blanket the southeast with letters to almost all kids in the late winter/early spring...our board starts with hundreds of kids. We advertise our camp, etc. Plus...we have the added notoriety of hosting the Nike Camp this year.
3) You never know about an individual kid... he has not published his GPA...and has not taken the SAT/ACT yet.
4) We have not offered him...yet we have offered several other kids at this point who are all solid academically and athletically (i.e. Michael Harness...OL from Columbus).
5) One things we know for a fact....we will not offer any kid that does not have at least a 3.0 GPA and 900 SAT score...preferably 950. Last years recruiting class averaged about 1100...and only 2 kids out of the full slate scored below 1000...one at 950 and one in the low 900's.

Back