Why we won and will again

bellyseries

Dodd-Like
Originally posted by mustard:
Belly, you did good in pointing out the inconsistency in BW's logic, who, by the way, has not responded.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It isn't his habit to respond, but he did indicate somewhere that there was more to his prediction than our record vs NCState. I'm not sure what that would have been, since he puts so much stock in coaching and at the same time despises our coaches.

I also think coaching is important, FOBD, even sometimes it is the difference between a win and a loss. But sports are played by players (I know everyone is sick of hearing me say this), not coaches. i think the reason we can beat FSU and did beat State is that our team has come together, AJ has stepped up (he's no longer throwing at receivers' feet), the D is playing much better than they did against WF, and we've had amazing play from RBs. But most of all it's the team playing hard and finishing; the best example of this, maybe, was the blocking on GC's TD run.

Some of this is superior coaching (and we have superior coaches), partly their teaching, but mostly their attitude; but mostly it is our team sucking it up. I'm proud as hell of them, players and coaches alike.

(The thread I typed this for was closed)

Believe that's well said Belly. I'm one that agrees with you!

GO JACKETS! Beat the noles!

We have "superior coaches"....what do you base that on? Certainly it didn't look that way early on and from what I see we still have some weaknesses. Two wins change a lot of attitudes but I don't think I would label Gailey and his staff "superior" just yet. Perhaps superior to UNC's staff but certainly not Md or Wake.

I hope they are going to be great and that they prove to be great recruiters but "superior"...not yet.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
Some of this is superior coaching (and we have superior coaches), partly their teaching, but mostly their attitude
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">These guys know how to win and they know how to lead. This is not a sophomore staff.

Hey Yellowjacket,

I don't know if CG & his staff will be successful here. The record over time will tell. That's why I'm not jumping on the "FOCer" bandwagon or the "Fire CG" bandwagon either (this wagon is missing a few wheels after last Saturday-Beeware is probably holding up one axle all by himself
rant.gif
). As I have stated in previous posts, I'll wait till the end of the season and decide then what I think is best for the program.

But, I have no problem at all in supporting Belly's comment that they are all "superior" coaches, judging from their past records. If I remember correctly Chan had the best record at Dallas in his two years since Jimmy Johnson, bet they wish he had stayed.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Just to clear up any misconceptions about my position on Chan Gailey:
I think he was a lousy hire....the wrong man, at the wrong time, for the wrong reasons. I don't blame him....I blame Dave Braine.
This season could have been a special season...if we had promoted Coach Mac and kept most of the staff we would have not missed a beat on recruiting and would have been ready at spring practice to make this an unbelievable year.
Instead we spent spring practice AND fall practice AND most of the season with Chan's (lack of) leadership virtually in a slow learning curve coma. Fortunately that is slowly changing.
But a couple of wins does not change the fact that he was a lousy hire and that this season is suffering because of it.
And with recruiting looking particularly bleak (even though it does look like we are going to beat Toledo out for some linebacker in Texas), we better win now while we have the talent (thank you Coach O'leary) to do it with.
What people missed in their resume worship, was that Chan had never coached division 1 college ball, and it is totally clear that he was taken COMPLETELY by surprise what it takes to win in division 1. He seems to be slowly coming along. Let us hope the oh so slow improvement continues. The players are putting out the effort....it is good to finally see the coaches doing the same.
I will be there Saturday (back in the good ole West stands) cheering on the jackets as they whip ole dadgummit...finally.

beeware post number 785:

Nobody can coach at Tech.
Nobody can recruit at Tech.
MacWhorter is God.
How dare Dave Braine not hire God.

Same story .. different words

old staff hit the ground running....etc..etc...
never miss a beat...etc..etc..
great thinking...same thinking clemson used when hiring tommy west..or when unc hired torbusch...or when alabamer hired dubose....newest on the list mich.st and bobby williams.....next on deck, nebraska and solich...

BW: "Just to clear up any misconceptions about my position on Chan Gailey:
I think he was a lousy hire....the wrong man, at the wrong time, for the wrong reasons. I don't blame him....I blame Dave Braine."

I do not think anyone is misconceiving your position.

BW: "This season could have been a special season..."

This season is going to be a special season!

This season is already a special season in light of the difficulties the coaches and players have faced even if they do not win either of the two big games left.

I'm sorry, I just thought that when you lost 5 (including Hall) great players and managed a current 6-3 season with a win over 8th ranked NC State and a heckuva chance at beating F$U, it was at worst special. Beeware, I know of a college in Athens that names people like you "Most Supportive Fan" - Heck, when Richt is at F$U next season they might want to hire you as head coach.
drinking.gif

Back