will Miami be in the ACC by next week (link)

O JA LA (pronounced oh haw la) in spanish lets hope so.
grin.gif

If expansion is killed by the schools in North Carolina, the rest of the ACC schools wanting expansion should form another conference and invite enough schools for a twelve league conference.

Anyone know the schools sitting on the fence? What schools would be interested in forming another conference?

There seems to be some pretty good schools outside the major conferences that might be interested in joining another super conference.

Let's see each person's list of a possible twelve team league with Georgia Tech.

I will come back and form my list after I find out the teams in the ACC sitting on the fence.

smile.gif

I wonder if we could develop the first Super Conference: The "Super SEC." The current 12 SEC teams would form one division and the new 12 being discussed in this thread forming the other division. The division names would be the NERDS and the TER... However, Vanderbilt may have to go over into the new division.
blue.gif

Sure hope it happens. If it does, Im not sure how the league closes the disparity geographically of aligning fairly. Tech, Miami, FSU and Clemson are the southernmost. How do you avoid having Duke, Wake, UNC and State all in the same division while FSU, Miami and Tech have to slug it out in the other?

On the other topic - seems ludicrous that VA Tech would not be highly sought after. True, western Va doesnt sit in a high tv market, but they have the best football program aside from Miami and geographically have a whole lot more to offer the ACC than travelling to Syracuse.

Tony Barnhart talked about this at the Macon Touchdown Club last year...VT has a great program and is a good school...but it basically comes down to TV...Syracuse gives us the NY market, and that is what it is all about...Barnhart even mentioned that Rutgers' name was thrown around due to TV...I'm just thankful we could get the NY market without Rutgers (via Syracuse). Same goes with BC - Boston market, plus the BC contingency in NY (ie alums and Catholic)...I remember Barnhart specifically mentioning that the Big East would be out of the football business if they lost Syracuse.

Outstanding news!

Boy oh boy, the Big East really does become the Big Least if this happens. If Miami, 'Cuse, and BC leave, the leaves their conference with just Va Tech, Pitt, West Virginia, and the football powerhouses that are Temple and Rutgers.

There's no way a five team league could survive. My guess is they'd offer the bank to Notre Dame, then try to get some teams from C-USA like Louisville or Cincy, or even go after a team like Marshall. No wonder Mike Tranghese(sp?) is so P'Oed. He knows Miami is their meal ticket. If they hit the road, it could be all over for the Big East.

According to two sources, Duke and North Carolina are against expansion...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No wonder. Ol' Roy and Rat Face know that the balance of power could shift if the 'Urnge joins the ACC. They're only looking out for themselves - not what's best for the league as a whole.

Yes, and we better start signing kids who get drafted or it's gonna get ugly. THWG

I hope it happens..

I truly believe that the increased competition helps.. not only that, but in recruiting, you can then say to kids, "you will have a chance to play in the ACC Championship Game" etc... In years to come, the scenario may be that the ACC Champs will play the SEC Champs to determine who goes to the National Championship game.. who knows..

I think our program became more competitive after joining the ACC as opposed to remaining independent, and I think that as the ACC becomes more competitive it will help us as well.. we will just have to work harder !!

Originally posted by jacketguy:
I hope it happens..

I truly believe that the increased competition helps.. not only that, but in recruiting, you can then say to kids, "you will have a chance to play in the ACC Championship Game" etc... In years to come, the scenario may be that the ACC Champs will play the SEC Champs to determine who goes to the National Championship game.. who knows..

I think our program became more competitive after joining the ACC as opposed to remaining independent, and I think that as the ACC becomes more competitive it will help us as well.. we will just have to work harder !!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">JG: Agree 100% and also agree with your previous posts about the internal workings of GT enhancing their ability to make things happen with better personnel!!

I kinda feel sorry for VT as it seems obvious they are sucking the back tit in this deal. At this time it seems that the Hokies are behind
Pittsburg in this beauty contest. Of course that would make sense since TV audiences seem to be the driving force as it is obvious that we already have the Virginia audience with the Cavs and Pitt would bring in a lots of new fannies to the stadiums and the TV sets. I used to hear that money talks but in these expansion deals money don't just talk it SCREAMS. Some will get hurt in this deal.

The best bet, irrespective of the BIG DOLLAR SIGNS, is to pursue the regional teams such as WV, VT, Miami and EC. Just my opine but it has nothing to do with Syracuse or BC or whatever expanding the market. The ACC's market is just fine. Syracuse & BC 'belong' in a natural BIG EAST (along with Penn St). The regional integrity of the conferences should be protected.
TECH doesn't belong in the same conference with Penn St. or SoCal anymore than any other conflagration. The conferences should be regionally based and the ACC is naturally the Southern (sub Mason Dixon) Atlantic Coast. Change that and you bust up the whole US of A like a box of p'nut brittle. You're begging for chaos when you abandon order as an outmoded ideal. Having said that, if we gain Syracuse (after Miami and VT) it could make our ACC bball incredible. Can you imagine adding them to UNC, Duke, NCST, Weak, us and anybody else that shows up? Miami and VT in football? It would make for a great conference but how does that fit in with the rest of the NCAA?

Okay, what if Duke and North Carolina nixes expansion and one of the other two North Carolina schools join with them. It means expansion is dead.

What do the rest of the schools do at this time. I believe most of the remaining schools would be willing to withdraw from the ACC and form a new super conference.

Who would be the twelve teams in the new conference consisting of teams on the Eastern Seaboard?

I have compiled a short list of teams who might possibly be interested with a few statistics. Make up your own twelve teams. Have fun!

POSSIBLE SELECTIONS

East Carolina
18,000 Students, Greenville, Stadium Capacity 43,000

Southern Mississippi
14,300 Students, Hattiesburg, Stadium Capacity 33,000

Tulane
12,300 Students, New Orleans, Stadium Capacity 72,200

Central Florida
38,700 Students, Orlando, Stadium Capacity 70,000

Miami
15,000 Students, Miami, Stadium Capacity 72,300

FSU
30,000 Students, Tallahassee, Stadium Capacity 83,000

Georgia Tech
15,000 Students, Atlanta, Stadium Capacity 55,000

Virginia Tech
25,000 Students, Blacksburg, Stadium Capacity 64,000

Syracuse
14,421 Students, Syracuse, Stadium Capacity 52,000

Boston College
13,500 Students, Boston, Stadium Capacity 44,500

West Virginia
23,500 Students, Morgantown, Stadium Capacity 63,500

Pittsburgh
32,000 Students, Pittsburgh, Stadium Capacity 65,000

Rutgers
48,000 Students, Camden, Stadium Capacity 42,000

Connecticutt
25,800 Students, Hartford, Stadium Capacity 40,000

Clemson
16,000 Students, Clemson, Stadium Capacity 81,500

Maryland
34,800 Students, College Park, Stadium Capacity 48,000

Virginia
18,000 Students, Charlottesville, Stadium Capacity 61,500

Wake Forest
Duke
North Carolina
NCSU

Presuming Duke and North Carolina nix expansion and Wake Forest or NCSU joins them, the other team would probably remain with the other three. I will leave them out for sake of this argument.

I am not going to be logical and include Miami, because I do not care to go to Miami and have lost nothing down there. Anyway, we would most likely still be playing one Florida team (FSU).

Southern Division:

Georgia Tech (GA)
Clemson (SC)
FSU (FL) or Central Florida (FL)
East Carolina (NC)
Tulane (LA)
Southern Mississippi (MS)

Northern Division:

Maryland (MD)
Virginia (VA)
Boston College (BS)
Syracuse (NY)
West Virginia (WV)
Pittsburgh (PH)

That would represent 12 States in the East. It should help all twelve teams recruit across the whole Eastern part of the U.S., and would give us good media and TV exposure. There would be no two teams from the same State.

By the way, although Southern Miss only has a stadium capacity of 33,000, I would be willing to bet they would increase the size if placed in conference such as the above. They have always had a pretty good team and coach.

Also, the division playoffs could be in Boston and Atlanta Stadium on alterate years.

drinking.gif

if the acc does not expand GT, cu, fsu, umd, uva need to drop out and form something with um, vt, su, bc, wvu, pitt, I think ncsu would go to. let the whine & cheese nc schools add elon, ecu, charlotte to their own conference.

I'm not sure about Miami, but F$U definitely does not belong. They look more and more like an SEC team every year that goes by.

For those more informed than I, how do the academic standards of the various schools match up to ours? Does Miami have a basket weaving major for its football players?

IIRC, Maryland is education lite, with a good coach and no recruiting standards; they might not fit with some of the teams being mentioned here.

VT is supposed to be a fine engineering school; do their football recruits match well with ours?

It appears that some of us are projecting how well teams fit by how our current football program matches theirs, not how compatable our recruiting and academic philosophies and standards are.

71, in my setup, we could remove FSU and add Central Florida. That would still give us presence in Florida.

Central Florida has the enrollment of 38,700 students and the stadium capacity is 70,000. That is a good base for drawing fans. I did not look up the offering of degrees in my search, so I don't know the comparison of each schools curriculum.

smile.gif

Bringing this back to the top. I read on another post where the expansion could be in jeopardy. One post rumored some of the existing schools might pull out of the conference and form another conference or merge with another.

Thinking about the prosects of a new conference, I have another thought. Miami, Tallahassee, Atlanta, Syracuse, Boston, College Park (?), and Pittsburg have been mentioned. These are all teams from big cities.

What other teams from big cities could be added to make up a conference of Big City teams that are not now cemented to another conference.

If we list the above and add New Orleans, Orlando, and Nashville to the list, we need only two more. Which teams would we go after or would we let some schools in that are not Big City.

Atlanta (Georgia Tech)
Miami (Miami)
Tallahassee (FSU)
New Orleans (Tulane)
Nashville (Vanderbilt)
Syracuse (Syracuse)
Boston College (Boston)
College Park (Maryland)
Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh)
Central Florida (Orlando)
Others

What is the positive and negatives of such an arrangement. Since there is not much else to post at this time, curious as to which teams might be interested in forming a new league and what it would look like.

wink.gif

Back