Will our punting problems cost us a game???

I didn't hear anyone boo-ing Hal on Thurs., but if they were...that's shameful. I'm sure Hal is giving it 110% out there. If he's not getting it done, give someone else a try, but nothing more should be expressed by fans...I met him a couple years ago in classes - real nice guy. As Tech fans or alum, I feel we shouldn't boo any of our players. No matter how bad the situation.

Jacket IM,
Punter you referred to is from here. He was
going to walkon. Vanderbilt punter left for Texas. Vandy offered scholarship to him so he is at Vandy. However, have you noticed the kicking woes at Vandy. Walkons are doing their kicking.

I actually ate dinner with Hal's parents before the Maryland game. They are good people. Hal has not only fought back from cancer to make it as a starter, but he has already graduated and is working on his MBA. Booing Higgins is like booing Rudy or Brian Piccolo. Regardless of his performance, booing him is classless.

Originally posted by Batman:
I didn't hear anyone boo-ing Hal on Thurs., but if they were...that's shameful. I'm sure Hal is giving it 110% out there. If he's not getting it done, give someone else a try, but nothing more should be expressed by fans...I met him a couple years ago in classes - real nice guy. As Tech fans or alum, I feel we shouldn't boo any of our players. No matter how bad the situation.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oh Batman, how could you not have heard the booing after Hal's last two punts? It was pretty loud.

Of course I'm not suggesting that people were actually booing Hal, they could have been booing just the poor punt, or the decision to punt, or the coverage team, or the special teams coach (obviously I'm being sarcastic here). But it sure sounded like they were booing Hal. And many people will argue that it is their paid right to boo our players (like they did last year when the discussion of booing AJ was occurring).

It was pathetic, though, and it was pretty loud. I don't like booing of our players either.

I mentioned previously the question on why we don't pooch kick when kicking inside the 50.All you need is a guy who DOESN'T kick it long and doesn't TRY to kick it long.I have kicked and if you don't try to spiral the ball off the side of your foot you don't get those abysmal 16 yd kicks.You don't get the 45 yder either usually but you get a consistent 30+.
As long as we are on the kicking game,our first man down on punts did not make the initial tackle on any punt in the MD game and it has been close to that all year.Again,shows how good the def has been to give up that many yds on KOs,punts,and P returns.

Booing ANY of our guys, except clough, is classless. I have total faith in both of our punters. Watch them in pregame and you will see they can get the job done. They just need to tell that to themselves when it is live. Hopefully every day at practice they are going after them live, not just letting them kick the ball.

I was at the MD game and was sitting in the s endzone ( one of the student sections). I witnessed the booing of the punting and i myself did not partake in the booing and did not appreciate it but would have a guess that most of it came from the student section in the s endzone and n endzone. However i strongly suggest that something should be done about students throwing the football ( after fg's or extra pts) at the visiting fans/ cheerleaders. Security has done a better job since clemson when it first hit a cheerleader but unfortunately one ended upside the head of a female MD cheerleader in the last game. This has been going on all year. I realize it is hard to control but i am more against someone throwing a football at unsuspecting fans/ cheerleaders than us booing the punter. It makes me sick to see something like that happening. However i really wouldnt have minded that ball ending up hitting that ugag fan that was holding the 51-7 sign ofer in the visitor seating, it probably would not have hurt him and instead would have ended up hitting him in his 3+ years of beard growth or overwhelming beer gut.

Glad to see your attitude KJ. Any student exhibiting that kind of behavior should bee suspended from school the rest of the academic semester, or perhaps year, until they learn how to beehave at GT. There is such a thing as good sportsmanship and "attacking" a female cheerleader from a visiting school ain't it.

Originally posted by Kennesawkid:
Were I Superman, I would have punched everyone in the snoz who booed Higgins Thursday night. For one, punting is very much a matter of confidence. His is shaken and booing only makes it worse. Secondly, do you folks know he overcame cancer to fight back and fulfill his dream to be our punter? As for that dummy Beebad, the only way we were going to lose that game was to do something stupid like going for it and failing on fourth down. Chan did the absolute right thing on punting on fourth and short and by not attempting a field goal at the end. To Beebad, and anyone else mentally challanged, we could have lost the game by haing a needless field goal blocked and run back. We could have been tied had we made a field goal and had a kickoff run back. For anyone who thinks a midseason tryout is the answer, they so much as had that in Spring practice and Hal won the job. AS for the coaches going too long like they did last year with poor QB play, they had no one better to play QB last year, and they have no one better to punt this year. And don't boo our kickers if I am around, or I might "lose it" and at least verbally assault you even though I'm not Superman.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good post Kennesawkid, as I too heard the boos too and was ashamed of our people. But I will go one step further. Anybody booing a college kid playing a game for our entertainment should be kicked out of the game. It is absurd to think that these kids are not giving it their all to perform well. To all the boo birds, get a life and stay away from me!

Originally posted by texstinger:
Glad to see your attitude KJ. Any student exhibiting that kind of behavior should bee suspended from school the rest of the academic semester, or perhaps year, until they learn how to beehave at GT. There is such a thing as good sportsmanship and "attacking" a female cheerleader from a visiting school ain't it.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If the student threw the football at the mascot, like the guy dressed up like the turtle, or Hairy Dawg, that would be ok by me. It would remind me of Bull Durham. That would be awesome!

We are not the only team with major punting problems...have you guys seen Miami tonight?? Their punting is killing them against VT.....

Back