Will Playing True Freshmen Be A Trend at Tech?

**DONOTDELETE**

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Thoughts on playing freshmen at Tech... If the new academic changes are going to cause more kids in the future to flunk out... Will it be better to play them as true freshman if some will only be here 2-3 years... why waste a year in street clothes waiting for a 3rd, 4th or 5th year that will never come?..

If not an across the board trend, do you feel more freshman will be playing in the future than in the past?

no .. this is hopefully a one time occurence. we will play lots of freshmen this year but that only means that they will be sophomores and ready to go next year .. therefore most of next year's class should be redshirted.

hopefully the col. will run a tight ship along with our coaching staff and ensure that student athletes take care of both those words .. student and athletes.

I'm pretty sure that problem has been handled. CCG is now in complete charge of the football team. I see things turning around for the program and getting back on track.

You are so right Ylojk8!

Hopefully, this year is a one-time
abomination.

The future for any football program
is the ability to red-shirt the bulk
of your Freshman class.

History has proven that the best football
teams are the teams with red-shirt Juniors
and Seniors.

I'm not sure that this is some new trend. O'Leary played a lot of true freshmen. He thought it helped recruiting.

Originally posted by jacketup:
I'm not sure that this is some new trend. O'Leary played a lot of true freshmen. He thought it helped recruiting.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Correct, but that isn't the whole story...

O'Leary was a fan of red shirting people their sophmore year. Playing them their freshman year gave him a chance to see how they looked on the field in game situaitons. He could then red shirt them and focus on the things they really needed to do in order to make them better football players.

Of course, if person was good enough to play then they didn't redshirted.

Beeserk,

O'Leary always talked about redshirting Sophomores. I can't remember him ever redshirting a sophomore that was healthy enough to play. Can you think of one?

Originally posted by Axe:
Beeserk,

O'Leary always talked about redshirting Sophomores. I can't remember him ever redshirting a sophomore that was healthy enough to play. Can you think of one?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good question, and I admit my memory isn't that good to remember something like that. Like you, I do remember O'Leary talking about that philosophy quite often.

Then again, O'Leary talked a lot about being happy at Tech and finshing his career here.

I'm pretty sure O'Leary never redshirted a healthy and eligible sophomore. He was kind of strange that way. He would always talk about doing stuff he never did. Oops, that wasn't meant to be funny;-)

Still, MsTA brought up George talking about playing more people, but he never did. After the 2000 NCSU he played lots of folks against UNC in Chapel Hill, but that was the only time I can remember. Personally, I was never bothered by the numbers we played. If we weren't playing them there was usually a good reason.

Personally, I believe more freshmen will be seeing the field earlier across the whole country if stricter academic guidelines are applied.

I don't know that I would call it a trend, but maybe a necessity at some schools. I do think the percentages of freshmen playing earlier will increase.

I also realize a coach prefers to redshirt freshmen, but it sometimes it just does not work out.

I see us playing more of this coming years recruiting class than normal. Since we are already short on numbers due to academic failures, medical cases, and the seniors who will graduate, we will still be short next year of able bodies.

There seems to be little doubt certain postions will be recruited with the chance to play early next year. Everyone knows we need more offensive backs, some more DTs, DEs, and WRs just to name a few positions.

I see us offering a good chance to this coming year's recruits a good chance to play early. After this year's recruits, it may settle back down to the normal red-shirting procedures.

Father Time

Originally posted by Axe:
I'm pretty sure O'Leary never redshirted a healthy and eligible sophomore. He was kind of strange that way. He would always talk about doing stuff he never did. Oops, that wasn't meant to be funny;-)

Still, MsTA brought up George talking about playing more people, but he never did. After the 2000 NCSU he played lots of folks against UNC in Chapel Hill, but that was the only time I can remember. Personally, I was never bothered by the numbers we played. If we weren't playing them there was usually a good reason.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Axe: I remember him saying on his show the Sunday after the NCState game that they played 48 players the entire game and it changed to about 60 from then on. Don't know if it varied from game to game after that but he did comment on it again and that it was making a difference.

Playing freshmen ultimately has to have one scenario - can they play on this level and compete against those other teams who may not have to use as many because academic standards are not as tough?

Whatever class they are in - talent is the key to it all.

MsTA,

We did play more against UNC that day. We rotated Hollings and took Jamara Clark out of the dog house to get some CB PT. We also played more of the freshmen LBs like Fox and Holiday.

We blew out Wake, Duke, UVA, and Maryland and played a bunch of kids but we did not play a lot of kids against Clemson, UGA, or LSU. I remember at the time fans wanted more OLs to play, but we only really had 6 OLs that could help you.

The UNC game was the only game where in crunch spots we played kids that we weren't sure about, Hollings is the one that comes to mind most for me. He was all athlete and not much else at CB that day in Chapel Hill. That was the only game he got snaps in crunch time at CB.

Axe, that wasnt funny but a true statement. Oleary to my knowledge never redshirted a Soph. and your right it was strange how he often talked about what was a right way to do something and he never backed it up by action. Dont get me wrong, i was a big fan of his for awhile and loved calling him big bee, but facts are facts..

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Axe:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Axe: I remember him saying on his show the Sunday after the NCState game that they played 48 players the entire game and it changed to about 60 from then on. Don't know if it varied from game to game after that but he did comment on it again and that it was making a difference.

Playing freshmen ultimately has to have one scenario - can they play on this level and compete against those other teams who may not have to use as many because academic standards are not as tough?

Whatever class they are in - talent is the key to it all.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It was not 60 a game it was 50. I think the most he ever played was close to 60. He always shot for 50 players to play each game, which was pretty extraordinary. It means he always played the 2 deep and then some 3 deep players at the end of the games.

Back