Will we score 30 points this week?

chilidogking

Damn Good Rat
As long as we win I don't really care. I do think we need to put up some big points this week though, to get some momentum rolling into the final 2 games.

UNC has only held ONE team under 30, and that was Eastern Carolina, quite possibly the worst team in college footall.

This has got to be the week. I expect 300 yds from Reggie and another 100 yds from PJ. UNC is ranked DEAD LAST in the conference in EVERY defensive category.

This has got to be the week.

Click here for UNC stats

It is unlikely that we will score 30 points unless we go to OT or we score or set up scores with our defense and special teams. We have only scored over 20 points twice this year in regulation and have yet to score 30.

There are only five teams in Division IA football that have not scored 30 points (E. Michigan, SMU, Buffalo, Notre Dame, and Us). We are the only team amongst the five to have more than 3 wins.

We are the only team with a winning record to be outscored by our opponents.

Only 12 of our 27 scoring drives this year have been longer than 50 yards.

Our offense is very bad. We are very fortunate our defense is overacheiving otherwise we would not be 5-4.

the objective of the offense is not to score points.

Edit: the objective of the offense is not to score an "x" amount of points.

all i care about is if we win the game.

Originally posted by ylojk8:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Really? Now that's a quote for the ages. I can hear the pregame speach: "Let's go out and win this one for the Gipper, but hey, you four guys, what ever you do, don't score any points." That must be one of the finer points of football that I am ignorant of. Or maybe, if football is your religion, you need to spend more time studying your bible (try the book of bowden the elder) in silence.

I see that you edited your statement. Still, the original had great humor value. Thanks for the laugh.

yes really.

lot of mouth for a guy who claims that we scored all the points we could against Maryland and then stands by the claim even when reminded that Tech was on Maryland's 9 yard line and ran 4 plays to run out clock.

the objective of the offense is not to score points, and definitely not to score an "x" amount of points. the objective of the offense is to put the team in the best position to win the game.

there is no need to get distressed if we don't score 30 vs UNC if we win the game like we did versus WFU.

Edit: yes JacketIM, you are ignorant about the finer points of football.

2nd Edit: if you want to understand the finer points of football .. like figuring out what the objective of the offense really is .. follow this link...

LINK: What is the objective of the offense?

the objective of the offense is not to score points, and definitely not to score an "x" amount of points. the objective of the offense is to put the team in the best position to win the game.

Edit: yes JacketIM, you are ignorant about the finer points of football.
[/URL]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Help me out here, but other than running out the clock at the end of the game, WHY IN THE HELL WOULD THE OFFENSE NOT WANT TO SCORE???? Isn't scoring more points than the opposition "the best position to win the game"?

why would an offense take an intentional safety?

there are rare instances when the objective of the offense is not to score points.

the object of the offense is simply to put the team in the best position to win the game.

is that enough help?

running out the clock in the end is a great example and you've pointed that out yourself. there are other rare instances.

for instance, an intentional safety. might have been a good idea to go for a safety versus Auburn instead of punting as some people alluded to.

if you saw the Broncos Patriots game, an intentional safety changed the outcome. why would the offense give the opponent points if the objective of the offense was to score points?

the objective of the offense is dynamic. it is definitely not scoring an "x" number of points, say 30 points. it depends completely on the game situation.

remember Joe Burns vs Maryland? Joe Burns might have thought that the objective of the offense at that point was to gain 2 extra yards, which he achieved by fighting to get out of bounds. that was not the objective of the offense at that point of time though. it cost us the game.

remember our last game vs Maryland? we did not kick a field goal from the 9 yard line. why not if the objective of the offense is to score points? because we didn't need to attain that particular objective. not scoring points in that instance put the football team in the best positions to win the game (according to the coaching staff at least), which is why we deliberately threw the ball away on 4th down.

but you're right, in most instances, it's simple enough to say that the objective of the offense is to score points. why? because in most instances it puts the team in the best position to win the game.

hell, i can give you an example of a game when the objective of the offense was not just to score points, rather it was to score points in a certain manner. it cost the football team the game, the manner in which the points were scored.

anyways .. returning to your original post cdk, it is NOT the objective of the offense to score 30 points. what good would that do if the opponent scored 40?

returning to your original post cdk, it is NOT the objective of the offense to score 30 points. what good would that do if the opponent scored 40?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No good at all. But if the defense does their job, and the offense scores 30, I gaurantee you we will win.

And since you are referencing my original post, go back and read the very first sentence again. I don't care if we win 2-0, as long as we win.

At the same time, getting this offense clicking is going to be absolutely imperative if we want to have any chance of winning our last 2 games. I don't think we should have to count on our D to win both of those for us (though nothing would surprise me at this point).

Holtz once said "if we win by one point then the defense did a good job." Should that not apply to the offense as well?

We have only won the time of possession battle in two of our games (WF and FSU). In the FSU game, we lost the TOP battle in the second half something like 5 minutes to 25 minutes. We won the TOP battle in the first half primarily because the defense held them to 25 yards of total offense and only one first down which came as the result of a penalty.

The reason we are not scoring points is not because we are not running off enough clock between plays either. We usually do not get to the line of scrimmage until there are 10 seconds on the play clock. The reason we are not able to sustain drives because the offensive has been very ineffective.

Edit: the objective of the offense is not to score an "x" amount of points.

all i care about is if we win the game.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're are showing your ignorance.....nanob.

Originally posted by JTS:
It is unlikely that we will score 30 points unless we go to OT or we score or set up scores with our defense and special teams. We have only scored over 20 points twice this year in regulation and have yet to score 30.

There are only five teams in Division IA football that have not scored 30 points (E. Michigan, SMU, Buffalo, Notre Dame, and Us). We are the only team amongst the five to have more than 3 wins.

We are the only team with a winning record to be outscored by our opponents.

Only 12 of our 27 scoring drives this year have been longer than 50 yards.

Our offense is very bad. We are very fortunate our defense is overacheiving otherwise we would not be 5-4.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thank you for the research. I agree that it is unlikely. Coaching is first and foremost the reason.

Back