Worst performance of the whole game

No, the student body eventually showed up. It's been happening all year, nothing different with the UGA game.

No, the student body eventually showed up. It's been happening all year, nothing different with the UGA game.

Student section wasn't full the entire game. There were hundreds of empty seats, more than can be accounted for by students "scrunching together."

the student section was pretty damn pathetic. Also it didn't help that half of them came in 5 minutes after the game started

Student section wasn't full the entire game. There were hundreds of empty seats, more than can be accounted for by students "scrunching together."

There is no doubt that many student season ticket holders missed this game. I know of a few myself that had to miss it because they went home (out of the state) for Thanksgiving. And because student season ticket holders can't transfer their tickets in any way, we end up with holes in the student section. I'm not trying to defend them for missing the game, but this should be considered a flaw in our student season ticket system.

. And because student season ticket holders can't transfer their tickets in any way, we end up with holes in the student section.

This. I've been saying they need to go back to paper tickets because this crap isn't working.

+100

Back in the day, (old man cough), we had no problem filling up half of the lower east for big games. But we got in for the price of student athletic fee and could bring a date for free. Maybe Ma Tech shouldn't try to screw the students on Saturday too.
I remember having to pay to get a different color background on your student ID so you could bring a date...

There is no doubt that many student season ticket holders missed this game. I know of a few myself that had to miss it because they went home (out of the state) for Thanksgiving. And because student season ticket holders can't transfer their tickets in any way, we end up with holes in the student section. I'm not trying to defend them for missing the game, but this should be considered a flaw in our student season ticket system.

That is a BIG ass flaw. At the school in Athens, they have a lottery before the season begins to allocate tickets to each game. If you get a ticket for the game assigned to your ID, you can "give" (or sell) your ticket to someone else. If that ticket is not used you get a strike. Two strikes and you can't get in the next years lottery!

And because student season ticket holders can't transfer their tickets in any way, we end up with holes in the student section.

Exactly. I know a lot of people who were out of town for Thanksgiving and wanted to give their tickets to friends/etc. but couldn't because the school doesn't allow a way to transfer. For the UGA game especially, you have to assume that at least 10-15% (probably even a low estimate) of your student body is going to not be back in town for the game, so with the current system that's hundreds of guaranteed empty seats right there.

I remember having to pay to get a different color background on your student ID so you could bring a date...

I thought we just had to pay the athletic fee but I could be mistaken. Hell it was 35 years ago. Check my avatar, it did have a color line on it to get in. Could get in any sporting event just by showing ID.

While the paper tickets may help at times, part of me likes the current system. Being from Georgia, I know a lot of UGA undergrads so I'd assume there'd be people in our fanbase who'd give their tickets to their UGA friends. Hell, even our alumni do that as evidenced by the attendance Saturday. At least with the buzzcard system, they can check your ID photo to your face and deny you entry if you don't belong.

System is a catch 22 because it equally catches fans with good intentions. While we don't need paper tickets, we do need a way of transferring tickets to other students. I wouldn't mind allowing a buzzcard to have more than one ticket on it (which is what they do for guests anyway), but allow other students to transfer a ticket off of their buzzcard onto another one.

Edit: It wouldn't prevent opposing fans from entering, but it would at least require a Tech student sponsor to get in. There would still be accountability as that student would have to enter the stadium with their guests.

If the student body eventually showed up it was sometime after the game, not during it, maybe they are there now... I do agree it has been happening all year and it is really sad. It has nothing to do with win loss, it didn't matter any more when we were 6-0 than it does now. Two things need to happen next year, first make the student section first come first served; and second, shrink the student section so a couple of hundred get turned away or pushed to upper north when it's available. If the students start filling the sections up then they can get more seats in '13.

I think there were more empty seats in the lower north than in the south end zone fwiw. IF we have some sort of numb skull student ticket policy that prevents students from filling the empty seats that would be fixed by first come first served.

I think you guys are interpreting my statement of "student body eventually showed up" as in 100% of the seats filled in, which is not what I meant. Sorry for being vague.

While the paper tickets may help at times, part of me likes the current system. Being from Georgia, I know a lot of UGA undergrads so I'd assume there'd be people in our fanbase who'd give their tickets to their UGA friends. Hell, even our alumni do that as evidenced by the attendance Saturday. At least with the buzzcard system, they can check your ID photo to your face and deny you entry if you don't belong.

I did see one person in our section that is a season ticket holder who has showed up all season and showed up in Red on Saturday, a tech fan all season until the UGA game. I think there are more UGA fans buying season tickets than even I realized, couple that with this year being a great year to sell tickets at a premium to UGA fans dreaming of a MNC and you end up with lots of red sprinkled in the stadium.

I thought we just had to pay the athletic fee but I could be mistaken. Hell it was 35 years ago. Check my avatar, it did have a color line on it to get in. Could get in any sporting event just by showing ID.

I don't remember the color line, seems we paid like $5 as an activity fee, and could bring in someone of "contemporary age and opposite sex" for free.:wink:

Love that you have yours! I was 81 - 86, so I missed you. Could have been "no charge" 35 years ago... i just know it wasn't when I was there. The charge was only $15 - $40 for the season if I remember correctly.

Love that you have yours! I was 81 - 86, so I missed you. Could have been "no charge" 35 years ago... i just know it wasn't when I was there. The charge was only $15 - $40 for the season if I remember correctly.

I think the color line during that time frame was for the 'date pass' so you could bring a date to the game. I don't remember how much the date pass cost though.

I think the color line during that time frame was for the 'date pass' so you could bring a date to the game. I don't remember how much the date pass cost though.

In '99 it was something like $30 (for all season) and it was a sticker on the back of the Buzz Card.

the athletic fee was 120 (iirc) when i was in (07-11). If you wanted guaranteed tickets to every game it was an additional 20.

Love that you have yours! I was 81 - 86, so I missed you. Could have been "no charge" 35 years ago...
No, there was a charge. I used to get one of the other fraternity brothers who had a steady girlfriend to pay me to get the stripe so I could bring in one of her friends.

Back