Yesterday was Tech football at it's worst....

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
Yesterday was Tech football at it\'s worst....

Losing to a 6-5 Utah team with their backup QB was as bad as getting spanked by Dook.

First, I'll address motivation: Braine didn't want this bowl. Gailey didn't want it. The fans (including me) didn't want it. And neither did the players. I could get mad at Gailey for not having the team ready. But in the face of the public outcry over this bowl bid, I'm not sure if Knute Rockne could've gotten our team ready...which brings me to my next point. In the future, if these are the bowl bids we get, let's just reject the bid and stay home. We had no motivation for this and there was no point to this game. Utah was fired up. Let them schedule a scrimmage in SF if they want to play there so bad. This is the 2nd time we've been stomped by a team in California that probably had no business being on the same field with us from a talent standpoint (you're not gonna ever convince me that UTAH is 28 points better than us). I wish we'd just stayed at home and accepted our 7-4 record with big wins over Miami, Clemson and AU.

Next, the defense: Tenuta is very good DC. But he's not good because of adjustments. He's good because of scheme. If his scheme works, as is often the case, it bottles other teams up. If it doesn't work, he doesn't have much else he seems to be able to do. That white WR that torched us for 4 wide-open TD's (and the wide-open 2-pointer) should have had 10 guys hanging on his jersey after the first quarter. So, in summary, Tenuta can scheme, but he's not an adjuster. Even so, I won't blame the game entirely on him. I think our boys ran out of gas in that 4th quarter. With our mule and wagon offense, sometimes our D just finally runs out of gas. It happens...which brings me to my next point...

The offense: There's no point in re-hashing all of our problems and the need for a true OC. I'll just make the blatantly obvious point that playing for 14-10 and 17-14 type games every week will probably keep us always in 7-5 or 6-6 type territory. And no, I don't think benching Ball would help. We have a horrible offense, period. And as long as Chan is running it hands on, that's what we'll continue to have. I HATE seeing CJ's talent go to waste. But that's the hand we've been dealt with this coach.

Back