You asked for it...we are recruiting a tight end...

i like it. great move on the staff's part.

in most traditional offenses the te is not a primary focus in the passing game. cpj could argue that if he started he could be THE primary passing catching focus in our offense. so the numbers of passes thrown his way would not be much different than in any other offense.

plus he is big enough to be versital and play other positions.

i hope we get him too.

If we had a TE at WR, we should be able to bank on at least some decent blocking.

That's what I do on my NCAA dynasty. I recruit fast TE's and put them at WR. It works great! They typically block the CB pretty easily and when I do throw to them they have a height advantage and break tackles.

I wouldn't be surprised if CPJ used a traditional TE if we came across a freak athlete. Look what Urban did with Hernandez in his spread option offense. Imagine the TE blocking the OLB for 5 straight plays then BAM...fake the block and hit that big target on a seam route for 20 yards. It would be another way to keep the safeties back and inside the hash marks.

That's what I do on my NCAA dynasty. I recruit fast TE's and put them at WR. It works great! They typically block the CB pretty easily and when I do throw to them they have a height advantage and break tackles.

I wouldn't be surprised if CPJ used a traditional TE if we came across a freak athlete. Look what Urban did with Hernandez in his spread option offense. Imagine the TE blocking the OLB for 5 straight plays then BAM...fake the block and hit that big target on a seam route for 20 yards. It would be another way to keep the safeties back and inside the hash marks.

dude...put down the controller...put on the headset...you are destined for greatness! :bowdown:

NCAA Dynasties are making fans unrealistic and stupid!!

All I have to do is spend 15 points per week on some 5 stars and I can build Georgia Southern into a 6-star perennial top-5 program. It's easy, just convert some fast MLBs, to DE, and some strong WRs to TE, and some WRs that can tackle to CB and your team will be great!!!

Oh know, we don't have any 5-star recruits this year and on dynasty I normally get at least 10 4-stars, so Tech recruiting is awful and PJ is clueless and Tech will never compete with the greats like Texas and Florida, etc..!!

Real Life /= NCAA Dynasty

NCAA Dynasties are making fans unrealistic and stupid!!

All I have to do is spend 15 points per week on some 5 stars and I can build Georgia Southern into a 6-star perennial top-5 program. It's easy, just convert some fast MLBs, to DE, and some strong WRs to TE, and some WRs that can tackle to CB and your team will be great!!!

Oh know, we don't have any 5-star recruits this year and on dynasty I normally get at least 10 4-stars, so Tech recruiting is awful and PJ is clueless and Tech will never compete with the greats like Texas and Florida, etc..!!

Real Life /= NCAA Dynasty

Relax dude. Read my posts. I'm pretty conservative about as far away from unrealistic as it gets. I'm was just saying what I do on NCAA. In no way do I think my NCAA strategies are what CPJ should do.

Regarding my second paragraph. We use a TE in various formations about 10-15 snaps per game, we just use A-backs, WR's, or Tackles. If we had the opportunity to get a stud athlete that could play TE like Aaron Hernandez, why not take him?

Brings up a question I have had since the days of Kellen Winslow. What exactly is a TE?

In the days of Billy Joe DuPree, Dave Casper, Russ Francis there was a defined TE position that was played consistently and the players had a certain body type.

Then, players like Winslow arrived at the TE position but in games they lined up as wideouts as often as at TE*. They were really large WRs who lined up tight on certain plays, but were always primarily a weapon rather than a blocker. (And we already do that today with players who primarily play other positions.)

What is the dividing line between a large WR and a TE? It seems a blurry distinction to me.

But I think the days of an old school TE who was essentially a lineman who could catch are over. Most coaches simply choose to put in an extra lineman in those situations.

P.S.
*I always thought it unfair to compare TE's like Winslow's stats to tradtional TE stats because he did not collect most of those stats from a TE position. But that is beside the point.

FWIW, a smaller TE can usually play multiple positions on a college team. Remember Ken Whisenhunt? He was a TE. He played backup QB for Tech, and played H-back in the NFL.

Bebe could have played TE on many college teams.

I always liked having highschool TE's play WR in the flexbone, usually they can lay the lumber and have reasonable hands... the only problem is if you do this you need a speedster on the other side of the field for the deep threat IMO.

FWIW, a smaller TE can usually play multiple positions on a college team. Remember Ken Whisenhunt? He was a TE. He played backup QB for Tech, and played H-back in the NFL.

Bebe could have played TE on many college teams.

Well, H-backs were basically TE's in the backfield anyway. (Wonder how long before the old Redskins' single-back offense is back in vogue?)

Ed Wilder is the best GT example I remember. He played as a big FB, blocking or carrying, and also played TE, blocking or catching. And he often shifted from one position to the other on a given play.

Brings up a question I have had since the days of Kellen Winslow. What exactly is a TE?

In the days of Billy Joe DuPree, Dave Casper, Russ Francis there was a defined TE position that was played consistently and the players had a certain body type.

Then, players like Winslow arrived at the TE position but in games they lined up as wideouts as often as at TE*. They were really large WRs who lined up tight on certain plays, but were always primarily a weapon rather than a blocker. (And we already do that today with players who primarily play other positions.)

What is the dividing line between a large WR and a TE? It seems a blurry distinction to me.

But I think the days of an old school TE who was essentially a lineman who could catch are over. Most coaches simply choose to put in an extra lineman in those situations.

P.S.
*I always thought it unfair to compare TE's like Winslow's stats to tradtional TE stats because he did not collect most of those stats from a TE position. But that is beside the point.
They go in and out of fashion in a kind of cycle -- you may have noticed that the Patriots are using two rookies and one old fart to good effect this year.

They go in and out of fashion in a kind of cycle -- you may have noticed that the Patriots are using two rookies and one old fart to good effect this year.

Sorry, but I don't follow the Patriots.

What kind of TEs do they have?

Guys like Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow, are the ones I am talking about that are used as big WRs most often. Even Tony Gonzalez splits wide many times.

Sorry, but I don't follow the Patriots.

What kind of TEs do they have?

Guys like Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow, are the ones I am talking about that are used as big WRs most often. Even Tony Gonzalez splits wide many times.
Two rookies -- Hernandez and Gronkowski, and the old fart is Alge Crumpler. Crumpler is used primarily as a blocker, while Hernandez is more the deep threat type that you mean, with Gronkowski a little bit of both.

Back