You can blame...

G

Geetee

..Ball and Gailey for the UGA loss, but for the Wake loss, the blame falls mostly to coaching and the decisions made by Gailey. Ball wasn't steller, but played ok, acutally. Coaching lost that game. no surprise, there.

Geetee said:
..Ball and Gailey for the UGA loss, but for the Wake loss, the blame falls mostly to coaching and the decisions made by Gailey. Ball wasn't steller, but played ok, acutally. Coaching lost that game. no surprise, there.

Yeah Chan dropped all those passes to Calvin and JJ as well as called all those bad plays as well as put in the bend but don't break defense at the end of the game. Sure the buck stops with him but he had many who did not do the job he gave them to do. Which would have brought victory if executed as he expected.

My understanding is that the OC decides who to play on O. Am I incorrect?

Do you know for a fact that Nix tried to change QBs and Gailey overruled him? Or are you saying that Chan should have forced Nix to change QBs?

I'm not getting your point. Exactly what decisin did Chan make during the Wake game lost the game?

GTCrew said:
Exactly what decisin did Chan make during the Wake game lost the game?
I know this isn't for me but I did not like the decisions to throw it on first down and the one to go for it on 4th and 8 in the first half. They way we were running the ball we should have pounded it more on first and we should have taken the points on 4th and short like we did on the second half of the game knowing very well that Wake's offense was 90% play action WR sweep (the "orbit sweep" I think Gorbe calls it) which isn't the most vertical play in the playbook. Anyways those were decisions that in hindsight could have at least tied the game 9-9.

Last edited:
As far as the fourth down calls, hindsight is always 20/20. We were hoping to gain a big lead in the first half and we just wanted the lead, period, in the second half.

What I really take issue with is Nix's playcalling on first down in the second half. Maybe the first option was really a short comeback route and Reggie decided to keep throwing it long, but there were way too many 2nd and 10s in the second half.

That 2nd half shows without a doubt that Nix is fully autonomous in calling plays. I can only guess we got stopped on the run a couple of times in a row and Nix gave up on it too early.

I know that Nix was very successful where he coached at the lower levels of football, but this cute crap doesn't work against disciplined Division I-A offenses. Hopefully he'll do well next year with a very experienced line, Choice, Taylor at QB and hopefully Calvin back in WR corps.

We gave up on the run way too early...again. When Wake tied the game and we had the ball with something like 8:00 left, we immediately started throwing. We should have given them a diet of Choice and made them stop it. Just like we should have done at ugag. But when we go long on first down and don't connect. Then throw again on second and miss...we're dead on third. Reggie just isn't going to complete an 11 yard pass under pressure.

I have to agree. Coaching cost us this game and not just because Chan didn't take out Reggie.

This was a field position game and at least to me seemed that way by the start of the second quarter. I just didn't agree with all the block punt attempts when we were winning field position. We gave away field position every set of downs in the second half. This was incredibly stupid, particularly when wet footing makes it tougher to block a punt anyway. Add in the going for it on 4th and 8 and to me it all showed complete desperation by Chan.

If we are that desperate then we should just make the damn QB change like everyone is calling for.

I still don't think the HC normally decides when to pull the QB. Of course as the Boss he always has the option, but it normally is not done.

I don't think he calls the block vs the return. We were very close on the blocks, and the punts were so high returns were VERY unlikely. You say we were 'losing' 10-15 yards, but I don't recall Wake having any good punt returns. Did I miss any?

I do believe that he makes the 4th down decisions. I as a fan subscribe to the ALWAYS TAKE THE POINTS philosophy. I liked the calls to go for it at the edge of FG range because the punt probably only nets ten-fifteen yards, your D looked good, and success should mean three points minimum. I will say that the third down calls in that area of the field seemed to be poor. If you are in that four down territory at the edge of the FG range, you can run on third.

I thought CCG was in charge of ST's? That would put him in the spot to call the block or the return. He better make the QB change when needed. His A$$ is the one on the line.

In the end, the decision to start Reggie Ball for all the wins and losses is Chan Gailey's. He can shut him up from yapping... he never did. He can bench him for his poor performances...he never did. He could recruit qb's to beat him out... he never did. ANd if he did and they are sitting on bench, never gave them a chance...He can hand the ball off to Choice 40 times and take the 30 passes out of Ball's hands...he never did... In the end, the Head Coach in NCAA football is getting paid a ton of money these days. They signed up for the job to coach 18-22 yearolds and get paid a ton to do it. There are fans, announcers, coaches from all levels-high school to Pros to who knows, 9-10 year olds, who have wondered aloud (from the NotreDame Game to the Clemson game, to the Georgia game, and now to this game-all games on National TV), "Coach Chan Gailey, GET CALVIN THE BALL NO MATTER WHAT AND SCORE." AS Bill Curry said on the radio Friday, "It is indefensible that Calvin Johnson only got 3 touches in the Georgia game..." when asked whos fault it was. "Its probably a combination of everyone's fault but in the end its the Head Coach's responsibility." We won this year because the ACC stunk and John Tenuta's Defense-another year of poor decisions by a simpleton Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator.

#1. It is ignorant to not know the staff yet criticize the HC. We have a ST Coach.

Do you not follow GT football at all? You obviously didn't like Chan as an OC, yet when he FINALLY hands the reigns over to Nix (after four frustrating years) you want CHAN to pull the QB and call the plays?

If anyone has proof that Nix wanted to pull Reggie and Chan said no, please let me know. As it is, we have a HC who saw several MAJOR problems with a 7-6 team (IIRC the record). He appears to have nearly fixed the horrible special teams. He has obviously fixed recruiting. He made the probably difficult decision (and probably correct) to give up playcalling. Everyone knows to fix a 1-10 team, but several tough decisions on a team that was not unsuccessful and only the playcalling decision didn't result in a massive improvement. Just put last years STs out there and we probably end up 7-5 again.

Are you happy with Nix? What was your opinion of him last year? I thought he stunk this year. Last year I couldn't tell because Chan had his fingers all up in his business. I am thankful that Chan is letting Nix sink or swim. I DO NOT want a HC telling the OC or the DC for that matter when to pull a player. If Nix cannot make that decision properly, Chan will find someone who can. Mark my words.

LASTLY, Tenuta is a genius. He has bounced around from HC to HC because, IIUC, he is headstrong. Chan deserves major, major kudos for keeping Tenuta happy and on the Flats. But I don't expect you to EVER, EVER give Chan any credit for anything.

Anyone who thinks that we can start from scratch and be in a better position than we are today is delusional. Our O could move way up obviously, but the odds of our D and recruiting remaining at current historical highs is very, very slim. It would be much, much simpler to fix the O than to start from scratch!!!!!

The Head Coach cost us the game for his boneheaded decisions on 4th down.

The OC cost us the game for his boneheaded playcalling on 4th down and the entire 2nd half. On 4th down, Reggie's # was called all three times, TWICE with 1 yard to go. Where was our Runningback, who leads the league in yardage?
How come we came out swinging for the fences on almost every 1st down in the game by hauling the ball deep to a receiver? Nix's playcalling was 100% horrendous. The fact that Choice got one carry in the 2nd half says it all. Nix deserves to lose his job.

BOR, Choice got more than 1 carry in the second half, but most of what you say is spot on. I have no problem with a QB sneak on 4th and less than one, but someone should have called time on the last one. We simply didn't have time to get set.

I do have a problem with the reverse on 3rd and short and I have a serious problem with our possession with about 8 minutes left...tie game, and we start throwing the damn ball all over the place. Maybe we need to let Chan call the plays again? At least he would run the ball.

On 4th down, Reggie's # was called all three times, TWICE with 1 yard to go.
We actually only went for it on one 4th and 1. We had another 4th and 1 later in the game where Chan called a timeout and decided to kick the field goal.

That QB sneak play has worked for us all year. We should have called a timeout on the first one because it was in the first half and we had to rush the play way too much.

Back