You guys better start loving on the Big 10

Screw the Big 10. Just leave our freaking conference alone!

leave-britney-alone.jpg

Screw the Big 10. Just leave our freaking conference alone!
If the Big 10 expands then the ACC will be raided without a doubt. If the Big 10 doesn't offer an ACC school first than the SEC will certainly offer one or more and we can not be left on the outside looking in. The SEC or Big 10 is better than the ACC regardless.

I love Wes but he has been wrong before.
No way in Hell does GT enter the BIG10...IMHO it would upset too many Alums...the kind with multiple commas on the checking account balance.
I want no part of the BIG 10. They and the rest of you big 10 brown noses can kiss my big white and gold butt.

Totally agree with this sentiment
The Hell you say!

IMHO that those of us who have been a part of GT for more than 30 years will not stand for GT going into the big 10. We will speak with our voices and with our wallets.

big 10....STFO of my school and my town.

The Hell you say!

IMHO that those of us who have been a part of GT for more than 30 years will not stand for GT going into the big 10. We will speak with our voices and with our wallets.

So you would rather stay in a decimated ACC out of pride?

Do you (and those you speak for) contribute so much that it would compensate for $10M per year incremental revenue?

P.S.
I suspect most GT fans will stick with it regardless of SEC, B10, or ACC. There may be griping, but if you are a big contributor then you probably can afford to fly.

Don't Big10 regulations say you must border a current Big10 state?
Contrary to popular belief, a candidate doesn't need to be a member of the Association of American Universities or be located within the Big Ten footprint or in a bordering state. Though the schools must fit what the Big Ten looks for, "there’s no prescription that you have to have 30,000 undergrads or you have to be a major research institution," a source tells me.

http://espn.go.com/blog/BigTen/post/_/id/8261/time-is-right-to-explore-big-ten-expansion

The Hell you say!

Here is one with 50+ years and says you will be in the minority...
What person that understands business in the simpiliest of terms would hesitate one moment to not jump in the Big Ten if asked.
You would have to be an old idiot to want to stay in the ACC with the carolina schools, East Carolina, UCF and USF and other mid major schools...

Staying put in the ACCC would be suicide for GT football and the other sports would rot with very little money to support their existence. In fact, Drad will not have a job, if he let's this happen, after the dominoes start falling and we are left behind, how long you think before Drad is off to one of those Big Ten or Sec schools as a new AD ? How long before Paul Johnson is off to a school in one of those restructured super conferences ?

FOLLOW THE MONEY...or wither and die...

Just plain stupid arrogance to think the way you are thinking.
Any money lost by a few with that sentiment would be gained tenfold from the coffers of the Big Ten.

Last edited:
Wes would NOT have made that statement unless he had STRONG info to back it up.

I would say it is "even money" that we will leave ACC now.

IMO ncjacket is right no way SEC wants the Big Ten schools with a footprint in the south. Recruting is the plum.

What person that understands business in the simpiliest of terms would hesitate one moment to not jump in the Big Ten if asked.
You would have to be an old idiot to want to stay in the ACC with the carolina schools, East Carolina, UCF and USF and other mid major schools...

Staying put in the ACCC would be suicide for GT football and the other sports would rot with very little money to support their existence. In fact, Drad will not have a job, if he let's this happen, after the dominoes start falling and we are left behind, how long you think before Drad is off to one of those Big Ten or Sec schools as a new AD ? How long before Paul Johnson is off to a school in one of those restructured super conferences ?

Any money lost by a few with that sentiment would be gained tenfold from the coffers of the Big Ten.

This.

If you don't understand that Big 10 > Raided ACC, then you aren't smart enough to be a Tech fan. Please go to Kmart and buy your UGA t-shirt.

If the ACC were to stay in its current form, then staying in the ACC would be the best option. However, if the Big 10 and SEC expands, the ACC will not stay in its current form.

Just the opinion of a GT follower of 50 years, moving to the Big 10 would be GREAT for GT football, there are tons of Big 10 alums living in metro Atlanta and it would increase our attendance at least by 10 percent plus greater TV exposure.

As Wes said, we would DOUBLE our revenue, which would enable us to compete in many sports. Wes made it obvious he would JUMP at an offer to join the Big Ten, and hinted the admin would as well. The Hill would love it. He also said the SEC will NOT invite us even if they have to expand. We do not increase their revenue on a per-team basis. We are much more beneficial to the Big Ten.

Wes asked the Lunch Bunch to raise hands if you know one Big Ten alumnus and just about everybody did. He asked who knows three Big Ten alumni and the number was about the same. The ingredients for a watercooler rivalry in Atlanta are already in place.

If nothing changes, the ACC is fine, but if things do change, the ACC may not be a viable place for us anymore.

No way in Hell does GT enter the BIG10...IMHO it would upset too many Alums...the kind with multiple commas on the checking account balance.

If the Big 10 distributes 40 mil a year to 16 teams then those alums can cope.

If big dollar alums have the capability to DOUBLE OUR REVENUE, like the Big 10 jump would, then they shoulda broke out the checkbooks long ago.

I love Wes but he has been wrong before.
I want no part of the BIG 10. They and the rest of you big 10 brown noses can kiss my big white and gold butt.
If anything the big donors understand the benefit to Tech of DOUBLING revenue, that's $12 Million a year above the new ACC contract they don't have to back fill with their own donations. Seemed like the grizzled Gold Timer alumni at the Lunch Bunch were all in favor of it. They understand the business side.

There may have been a couple, but I didn't see or hear one negative reaction after Wes ticked off the numbers. I did see and hear a lot of supporters.

These are the current one-way fares from ATL to the midwest on AirTran:

Chicago $69
Detroit $69
Milwaukee $79
Columbus $54

Just saying.

The SEC can take Texas and Oklahoma, two teams that would benefit the SEC more than any other in the nation, and leave our conference alone. Add to that Texas A&M and Texas Tech (a possible package deal with Texas) and the SEC goes to 16 without touching the ACC.

I doubt GT is on the short list if the Big 10 goes only to 16. 20... maybe. But not 16.

The SEC can take Texas and Oklahoma, two teams that would benefit the SEC more than any other in the nation, and leave our conference alone. Add to that Texas A&M and Texas Tech (a possible package deal with Texas) and the SEC goes to 16 without touching the ACC.

I doubt GT is on the short list if the Big 10 goes only to 16. 20... maybe. But not 16.

You really think Oklahoma can go without Oklahoma State?

I don't think you're reading the posts about this.

Texas has no benefit going to the SEC. In fact, it would hurt their revenue, because the Big 12 pays out by number of TV appearances, and Texas dominates that. Plus, it is POLITICALLY IMPOSSIBLE IN THE STATE OF TEXAS for them to leave without bringing their brethren along. The only reason Baylor is in the Big 12 today is Ann Richards gave the ultimatum "No Baylor, No Texas". I don't believe Oklahoma can leave Oklahoma State behind in a damaged conference, either.

The SEC would take 1-3 ACC teams after realizing Texas is a non-starter. The SEC will not invite Tech this iteration of conference realignment. The ACC will be diminished. Dan has a choice.

The Big Ten has promised Murdock they will expand and only bring in teams from top 25 TV markets, and Atlanta is #8. Murdock cares not one whit about rivalries that have been dormant for 50 years, his stake holder power in the Big Ten network is about driving up both number of subscriptions and adding states so the rate per subscription they get paid from cable and satellite providers goes up significantly. Tech is a perfect candidate, plus a member of the AAU already, the only drawback may be geographical, but the additional $12 Million more than makes up for any additional inconvenience to the program. As noted above, fares to the Big Ten cities are often less than or comparable to fares to ACC locations. They're also direct flights, where Blacksburg and Morgantown (if they replace FSU/Clemson/Miami) are nightmares to get to.

Geography and long dormant rivalries are moot points. The revenue windfall of adding Tech, with not just Tech alums but thousands upon thousands of Big Ten alums locally, make inviting Tech very very attractive to them, and it's damned sure attractive to Tech.

Back