You know what I would like to know...

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
If Reis is moving back to safety, what does that mean? I assume it means that Tenuta thinks that the best 11 players include three DBs three linebackers and Reis. But it may say more about the scheme he wants to use this year than talent. Or maybe he is considering what is best for Reis and Chris' chance in the NFL is at safety.

But having said that, we seem to be recruiting a lot of LBs this year for a team moving a football player like Reis to safety.

I trust Tenuta, but the Reis move is throwing me a curve right now.

I think it might mean that Coach T acknowledges the fact that we have a glut at LB. Moving Reis back to the secondary is absolutely the best move. Having a stud, like Reis, at safety bolsters our defense. Guyton, Chambers, Wheeler, the incoming class..we're set at LB. Actually set at safety but move Reis back to his natural position and promote through the ranks with our linebackers and Tenuta's defense becomes that much more awesome. A strong safety is not that much different from a LB with a better view of the field. Reis is the kind of athlete that can play LB from the safety position. A rareity. Either way Reis is tip top.

And to think:
Coming in to this last season, we were really concerned about our LB status. :)

it's all about finding a way to get either wheeler or guyton on the fied. having a hard hitting and ball hawk safety like chris doesn't hurt either.

Safety is Reis' natural position anyway...he played that for his first two years before moving to LB last year out of necessity. This is a smart move for GT and for Reis.

[ QUOTE ]
If Reis is moving back to safety, what does that mean? I assume it means that Tenuta thinks that the best 11 players include three DBs three linebackers and Reis. But it may say more about the scheme he wants to use this year than talent. Or maybe he is considering what is best for Reis and Chris' chance in the NFL is at safety.

But having said that, we seem to be recruiting a lot of LBs this year for a team moving a football player like Reis to safety.

I trust Tenuta, but the Reis move is throwing me a curve right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all fine and good, but where do you put Landry? At FS? No way, he's too slow.

When he was signed Landry supposedly had 4.4 speed. Reis was listed at 4.57.

Re: Reis doesn\'t have FS speed, does he?

perhaps not but they also said he wasn't big enough to play linebacker. he has a nose for the ball and is always int he right position. his football smarts will outweigh the perceived lack of speed.

I\'m not sure

this idea is that positive.
First it takes him from a position where he became very adept and puts him in a new "learning" situation.He may or may not have the speed to cover deep while at LB he was exceptional.
Next-it closes a position for a young guy to step in and get experience .In '06 we lose a lot of def talent at DB,3 if Reis plays there.Even more critical if (name?) comes back for 6th yr to play nickel-back.

agreed....Reis' "football speed" is probably no slower...maybe faster....than Jeremy Muyres, Ken Swilling, James Butler, Cory Collins. Jay Martin was a great safety with 4.75 speed. Safety's are the QB of the defense...typically larger...not close to as fast as the CB's.

I would liken Reis to John Lynch...6-2, 220 NFL monster that knocks people into next week.

I agree with your post but I can't agree that Reis has the speed of Collins or Butler. However, Reis has a nose for the football, that is apparent and that makes up a lot for speed.

I also think this is a good idea and believe strongly that Reis will play safety on "running" downs and go back to linebacker on passing downs.

Regarding pure nickel back situations (long yardage), if healthy, then I'd think Davis comes in (if he isn't starting anyway).

I love it. John Tenuta, the same man that most Tech fans think is the greatest DC in the country, is reportedly considering moving Reis back to his original position and we, the football geniuses we are question his plan. Yeah, it's fun to wonder what might be, but sometimes we're just plain beyond belief.

IF they try the move and IF it looks good then we might do it. But IF it doesn't work in the spring I'd be willing to bet Reis will still be at LB next year. And to think many of us (me included) thought he was too small to handle a full year at LB. My how things change.

FWIW, if Reis can handle the safety position, and we can get a bigger LB who can give us the same intensity we win all the way around. We're still small in the front seven IMO and this would help that out.

davis will be in for the nickel packages and one of the safetys, most likely jones, for the other package. last year we moved landry up and burton into his slot in passing situations.

Not to detract from Reis' ability to play, but there is no way he is as fast as Muyres. I think it was decieving because of Jeremy's height and long stride, but that kid could absolutely glide and he almost never made mental errors. Reis is a lot more intense than Muyres and brings a much harder hat to opposing RB's and WR's.

Reis is one of the best \'football players\' I have

ever seen. He plays 20+ pounds heavier and .2 sec/40 faster than he is. I would only think Tenuta had lost it if he moved him to DT or CB.

The reason I asked as much as anything is because I was hoping someone would know why we are recruiting so many LBs if we have enough good LBs on the roster to free Reis to move back to DB?

I can only imagine that opposing QBs and OCs will be constantly asking themselves if Reis is going to blitz or not. We could run the nickle package all the time and they would have no idea if it is the nickle or if Reis will be playing LB that play. In a dime they will not know if it is dime or nickle.

Lots of teams try this, but few have a guy who has proven beyond any doubt that he can carry the mail at both positions.

Re: Reis is one of the best \'football players\' I have

GT Crew, you asked a good question, it's just where people go with stuff that's interesting around here. To your point though, to me LBs are a lot like QBs in recruiting. A lot of them don't end up as LBs. If they grow they may end up DEs, and if they're on the small, but fast size they could end up as safeties. But primarily, good HS LBs are typically athletes. So they're valuable commodities.

Ummmm, unless I was drunk at every game (which is a possibility) Jeremy did make occasional errors in judgement.

I am excited about our depth on D....I think our playing so many gys keeps our starters fresher, and more productive later in the games/season. I liked the earlier comment about us armchair QB's questioning Tenuta....does seem kinda silly when you think about it.

Re: Reis is one of the best \'football players\' I have

Linebackers can do a lot on special teams too and we were light last year in this department.

But generally we are not as deep as people think at LB particularly if Reis goes back to safety.

Back