You know youre spoiled when...

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
... we line up in punt formation and you're saying WTF is wrong with us today?!? I pretty much get pissed if a possession does not end in a score.

When you can get 3 yards or more on every play, punting on 4th and a foot is pretty disappointing any day. Of course we screwed ourself with the motion penalty the one time we did go.

Burning a timeout for the draw-em-offsides play still pisses me off. Just punch em in the mouth

"Dammit, go for it" - JJacket anytime we have the ball on about our own 40 yard line with 4 and 2 or less.

Burning a timeout for the draw-em-offsides play still pisses me off. Just punch em in the mouth
I can’t believe Pitt fell for it yesterday. It’s not like it was one guy, their entire line jumped into the backfield.

I doubt he burned the TO just to run the draw-em-offsides. He would've had to burn another if they didn't jump. I think it was going to be the try to draw em offsides with motion, then run a play with the A-back set behind the B-back if they dont jump. I'm pretty sure we would have run a play.

Turning the ball over on downs is very similar to punting, game-strategy wise. At best, we gain about 40 yards by punting.
And if the opposition scores, I'd prefer they did it on a short field instead of dragging us down a longer one, ultimately saving our guys' energy on D.

Remember that 2009 defense that gave us the confidence to go for it on 4th and short yardage situations? Yeah, we may be getting back to that.

I can’t believe Pitt fell for it yesterday. It’s not like it was one guy, their entire line jumped into the backfield.

It seems like it been a long while since that play has been run. A few years ago it was automatic the play would be run on 4th and short, then it sort of disappeared. Not sure if it was because we were never in 4th and short or if it stopped working. Certainly, teams got very disciplined about it after a while and rarely jumped offsides. Either way, it worked yesterday quite well!

They fell for it a second time too, but our RT didn't react to the DE in the neutral zone. Think we picked it up anyway on the play.

They knew they couldn't stop us so I guess they were just hoping that we would run a standard play.

Remember that 2009 defense that gave us the confidence to go for it on 4th and short yardage situations? Yeah, we may be getting back to that.

Paul Johnson logic. If the defense is good, we should go for it on 4th because the defense can hold them. If the defense is bad, we better go for it on 4th because the defense won't stop them.

CPJ has talked about the offsides play before. Typically he'll either do it to see how they line up before going for it, or he'll say to only hike it if they line up in a particular manner.

I was pissed because if we had snapped the ball, it would have been encroachment. The OLB jumped into the neutral zone. None of the OL could reach out and touch hom, so it would have to had been a snap.

It seems like it been a long while since that play has been run. A few years ago it was automatic the play would be run on 4th and short, then it sort of disappeared. Not sure if it was because we were never in 4th and short or if it stopped working. Certainly, teams got very disciplined about it after a while and rarely jumped offsides. Either way, it worked yesterday quite well!
They used it A LOT for a while. Then we had snap count issues in '10 or '11. We swapped up the snap count and it worked something like 3 times in a single game... NC State I think. If the D line has practiced and listened for the snap count all game, or there's a freshman on the line, they may jump. When it works, it's genius. Otherwise, it's a punt.

When you can get 3 yards or more on every play, punting on 4th and a foot is pretty disappointing any day. Of course we screwed ourself with the motion penalty the one time we did go.
In the Tennessee game, I was in the lower corner of the endzone. I couldn't tell if the plays were going for much, but I'd look up after the first play and it would be second and three or less... QB question answered

IT'S

ON

POP-TART

Harkens back to the day of Joe Ham and averaging 13 yards on first down....

Back