You might not like this

Rednecks?

Bicycles?

REM??!

THE ****ING B52'S HOLY ****ING ****

Name one Tech guy who didn't go to Athens to hit the bars and the UGA chicks. The recruiting was so much better there. Cute SEC girls, kind of dumb, and attracted to a guy with a little cash in his pocket. I always did well there.

On second thought, there were probably a lot of ya'll Tech guys who didn't do that, but really, it was your loss.

Famous for its music scene, R.E.M. and the B-52s have Athens roots

REM? B-52's? That's old folks music now. The 1980's were a long time ago.

Athens is nothing more than Drunk Frat Boy U.

Although uga is voted #6 and Madison, WI #1 --- the photos are not in rank order

Name one Tech guy who didn't go to Athens to hit the bars and the UGA chicks. The recruiting was so much better there. Cute SEC girls, kind of dumb, and attracted to a guy with a little cash in his pocket. I always did well there.

On second thought, there were probably a lot of ya'll Tech guys who didn't do that, but really, it was your loss.

Name a college town near a major state university that you can't do that exact same thing. Athens is hardly unique.

I got mine there, they have a good selection and the price isn't very high either.

Name a college town near a major state university that you can't do that exact same thing. Athens is hardly unique.

True, but name a college town like that closer to Atlanta. I loved going to school in Atlanta, but I definitely had more than a few good times in Athens.

Really I don't get the big deal about Athens. Don't get me wrong, I was drunk there more than a few times, I married a mutt, and its amazing what buying a round of $1 shots for everyone within earshot will do for the rest of the night, but really it nothing special.

The talents pretty good. The local music sucks, maybe it was better at some point, but all I ever heard was nothing fancy and they've got a ****load of wierd/craptastic music that might do something for somebody but nothing for me.

Partied it up in a lot of towns during and after college, and they're all pretty much the same, watered down drinks, 18 year olds scared ****less and trying to poke their chests out (girls and guys), and some greasy burger/pizza place open until 3am. *shrugs* I was born old.

I knew more UGA people who came to Atlanta than Tech folk who partied in Athens. *shrug*

I spent the weekend at FSU the year Joe Ham and the boys almost pulled the upset & I have never seen so many hotties in my life. Screw Athens!

Nothing like hooking up with an education major in Athens. Good times.

I mean I like to party in Athens. You can go there with $15 in your pocket and get absolutely trashed with the bars having $1 beer specials...it's even better if you go on your birthday and go to the sandbar and get a barf bucket (which is a bucket full of all kinds of alcohol sure to make you puke and pass out drunk).

Don't get me wrong, I hate UGA, but Athens is fun to go drink...at least it was in college. Probably won't go back now that I am just about out and can afford to drink $4 domestics and $5 imports in Atlanta.

I have a niece over there. Sophomore 4.0. Great kid. Studying education to help disabled people.

(for those of you that don't get it. she's majoring in Education.)

Pfft.

the only thing in athens different from other southern college only towns is that it is closer to Atlanta. And Atlanta has had to expand in all directions and some of that enterprise overflow (lucky for them) landed there.

Ever been to Laramie? College town.

never been to Athens but I have been on Tech's campus and nothing beats that. Baton Rouge is nice also...

I can't claim to have partied in Athens. To my memory I've only been there three times:

1. In sixth grade for honors chorus. Like a boss.
2. 2004 for the "How do I counted to 4" game.
3. 2008 for the greatest game in history.

The first two times I really couldn't form much of an opinion other than about nightmarish parking. But when we went in 2008, I honestly and truly tried to be objective about Athens so that I wasn't just "That guy who hates anything semi-related to UGAg, just because." The smell was awful, the people were assholes, the restaurant service is horrendous and the town just felt and looked like an uncomfortable ****hole, not a cozy town.

Of course, I'll be making the trip again this year and I suppose I'll give it one more chance but I really dread the idea of going there and I certainly wouldn't go if we weren't playing there.

Back