You might not like this

I think some of the problem with Athens is that is that you go there expecting this charming little southern town with a great nightlife. The place is crowded and full of drunk kids on the weekend.

I think some of the problem with Athens is that is that you go there expecting this charming little southern town with a great nightlife. The place is crowded and full of drunk kids on the weekend.

Agreed. Athens is where you go if you want hippies, hoopties with 1 chrome rim on them, dollar beers and to get stoned out of your mind on weekends. I guess that does make it a good "college town".

Atlanta has been rated the nation's top city for single people several times. The nightlife and slew of fun things to do has no comparison.

But if you never venture beyond getting sloshed at Gator Hater's, you would never see the truth in that. You'd beat your chest and lie on the internet about how much you got laid in college.

Agreed. Athens is where you go if you want hippies, hoopties with 1 chrome rim on them, dollar beers and to get stoned out of your mind on weekends. I guess that does make it a good "college town".

Atlanta has been rated the nation's top city for single people several times. The nightlife and slew of fun things to do has no comparison.

But if you never venture beyond getting sloshed at Gator Hater's, you would never see the truth in that. You'd beat your chest and lie on the internet about how much you got laid in college.

When I was. In my early 20's, I always found Buckhead Beach, The Limelight, Moonshadow, and various other places in Atlanta to be more to my liking. If you had to travel to Athens to find a drunk girl to get you some, you obviously didn't get out much (BTW, that is a general you, not you in particular)..

Name one Tech guy who didn't go to Athens to hit the bars and the UGA chicks. The recruiting was so much better there. Cute SEC girls, kind of dumb, and attracted to a guy with a little cash in his pocket. I always did well there.

On second thought, there were probably a lot of ya'll Tech guys who didn't do that, but really, it was your loss.

Only went to that hell hole to play. I found what I was looking for on the Tech campus. Together since 84.

I've been to Athens for a club soccer tournament. Was not really impressed with it.

hehehehehe

My sister went there and felt the same way. Said normally she would go all day without seeing a guy that looked dateable.

When I was. In my early 20's, I always found Buckhead Beach, The Limelight, Moonshadow, and various other places in Atlanta to be more to my liking. If you had to travel to Athens to find a drunk girl to get you some, you obviously didn't get out much (BTW, that is a general you, not you in particular)..

Moonshadow wasn't around when I was in Atlanta, and I didn't go to the Limelight, because, well, I'm straight. But 688 was a great club, and the Metroplex brought in some decent bands. But Athens in the 80's had some great bands. Still, is it a coincidence that B-52's, Pylon, REM all came out of Athens right before and right after the last time U[sic]GA had a decent football team?

But the first time I saw REM live was GT homecoming 1982 in the Student Center. Michael Stipe came to the microphone and the first words from his mouth in a rapid spoken shout were, "I'm a ramblin wreck from Georgia Tech and a hellava engineer, a hellava hellava hellava hellava hellava engineer. Like all the fine good fellows I drink my whiskey clear. I'm a ramblin wreck from Georgia Tech and a hellava engineer." And then the band jumped right into "Chronic Town." Great concert, easily worth my 5bucks.

I've been to Athens twice on non-football trips, and there really isn't much to it. You can definitely tell where campus ends and trash-society begins...

I didn't go to the Limelight, because, well, I'm straight. ?

But the first time I saw REM live was GT homecoming 1982 in the Student Center. Michael Stipe came to the microphone and the first words from his mouth in a rapid spoken shout were, "I'm a ramblin wreck from Georgia Tech and a hellava engineer, a hellava hellava hellava hellava hellava engineer. Like all the fine good fellows I drink my whiskey clear. I'm a ramblin wreck from Georgia Tech and a hellava engineer." And then the band jumped right into "Chronic Town." Great concert, easily worth my 5bucks.

So dancing with chicks at the Limelight is gay, but watching Michael Stipe prance around (and thinking he is great) and REM isn't gay? Do you fill out a job application with "conflicted" on the SEX line?

Okay, the fact that Columbia Missouri is not on the list makes the list invalid for me. Booches automatically makes Columbia Missouri a top college football town, especially over Lawrence. Booches is a pool hall that has one of the best burgers in the nation -- that immediately trumps the "coffee houses" of Lawrence.

so dancing with chicks at the limelight is gay, but watching michael stipe prance around (and thinking he is great) and rem isn't gay? Do you fill out a job application with "conflicted" on the sex line?

<snerk> :biggthumpup:

Back