youngsters who stood out Saturday

DaltonGold

Varsity Lurker
These young players made an impression on me at Saturday's scrimmage. Keep in mind that this was only the second Fall scrimmage in full pads.

My observations:

#5 - Stephen Hill - WR (FR, 6-4, 196) -has all the tools; capable of big plays; would be a real threat opposite BEBE.

#17 - Orwin Smith - RB (FR, 6-0, 206) - the real deal; ran with quickness and power.

#23 - Quentin Sims - WR (RS FR, 6-3, 195 - smooth route runner; has deceptive speed.

#30 - Daniel Drummond - B-Back (FR, 6-3, 253) - pure power with explosion; an 18 yr old man; one defender cannot bring him down.

#34 - Stephen Sylvester - LB (SO, 6-2, 233) - seemed much quicker and stronger; accurate on his reads.

#37 - Jerrard Tarrent - DB (RS SO, 6-0, 202) - good coverage guy with cat-like reaction time; strong on run support.

#38 - Jemea Thomas -DB (FR, 5-10, 178) - fast; was all over the field; plays much bigger than he is; looks like he just loves to hit.

#40 - Julian Bennett - LB (FR, 5-10, 221) - plays fast and smart; great hitter in the mold of Sed Griffin.

#44 - Albert Rocker - DL (RS SO, 6-1, 241) - very quick; was impressive with his penetration and pursuit.

#58 - B.J. Machen - LB (RS FR, 6-1, 233) - great at filling the gap; strong and immovable.

#62 - Omoregie Uzzi - OG (RS FR, 6-3, 308) -quick off the ball; punishing blocker.

#94 - Izaan Cross - DE (FR, 6-4, 272) - a real presence at defensive end; plays with strength, quickness and maturity.

I probably left some youngsters out. Look forward to other observations from those who attended Saturday's scrimmage. Man, is it a great time to be in the Yellow Jacket family, or what? GO JACKETS!!

DG :bowdown:

http://www.daltonjackitup.com

How many of these can we expect to see on game day this year? I am excited to see Uzzi. I have heard the kid is an absolute BEAST.

The next 3 weeks will reveal who among the true freshmen will likely play this year. I'm thinking four to six, at this point, could have a good shot.

Look for Hill, J. Thomas, Cross, Burnett, and possibly Drummond to play.

DG :fingersx:

Preferred walk on Robbie Godhigh has received praise from Coach Johnson as well. He may find himself on the field this year.

- Stephen Hill has amazing athletic ability. He's fighting for time with Thomas, Sims, Cone, and Melton. We actually have good depth at WR. Also Moore has impressed some with his hands.

- Orwin Smith is fighting for the 5th or 6th A back spot. With Allen, Peeples, Cox, Wright, and Jones when he gets back. For the last spot it appears to be between Orwin Smith, Jamal Paige and Godhigh. Orwin is ahead of where peeples and Wright were this time last year. He's a great all around runner. He will be a star one day. Paige has looked good for a walk on. Godhigh is a GREAT blocker. My hope is that Godhigh and Orwin redshirt.

- Luallen and Sims look lost right now. They will be fine with a redshirt. Sims needs to drop a few pounds. He is well built though.

- Drummond is just a tough runner and always punishes who tries to tackle him. He is HUGE. Surprising speed.

- Izaan Cross did surprise me a lot. He didn't look lost at all. Cross and Dieke may be fighting to play this year.

- Jemea Thomas will be GREAT down the road. He's always around the ball ala a Morgan Burnett. He tackles like Sed Griffin. He does seem to enjoy tackling.

- Julian Burnett is a young Sed Griffin.

- Stephen Hill has amazing athletic ability. He's fighting for time with Thomas, Sims, Cone, and Melton. We actually have good depth at WR. Also Moore has impressed some with his hands.

- Orwin Smith is fighting for the 5th or 6th A back spot. With Allen, Peeples, Cox, Wright, and Jones when he gets back. For the last spot it appears to be between Orwin Smith, Jamal Paige and Godhigh. Orwin is ahead of where peeples and Wright were this time last year. He's a great all around runner. He will be a star one day. Paige has looked good for a walk on. Godhigh is a GREAT blocker. My hope is that Godhigh and Orwin redshirt.

- Luallen and Sims look lost right now. They will be fine with a redshirt. Sims needs to drop a few pounds. He is well built though.

- Drummond is just a tough runner and always punishes who tries to tackle him. He is HUGE. Surprising speed.

- Izaan Cross did surprise me a lot. He didn't look lost at all. Cross and Dieke may be fighting to play this year.

- Jemea Thomas will be GREAT down the road. He's always around the ball ala a Morgan Burnett. He tackles like Sed Griffin. He does seem to enjoy tackling.

- Julian Burnett is a young Sed Griffin.

It is win-win for Georgia Tech at this point. If any of these half dozen EARN playing time, it means that they are better than the other older players at their position and our team is therefore improved. If they red-shirt, then they will be in the mix next year, possibly better, and with a full four years
eligibility left. :fingersx::fingersx:

How much do you guys think Luallen could gain weight wise by next year, given that he's most likely going to be redshirted?

We are at the point now where FR only play if they earn it instead of need. Last year we had to force Wright and Peeples into action very early. Same with Tyler Melton and Steven Sylvester.

Looking ahead to next year we may redshirt all the FR.

Ryan Ayers and Barry Bostic will play DB. They will have to beat out Mario Butler, Rashad Reid, Jerrad Tarrant, Rod Sweeting and Carl Miles.

Isaiah Johnson and Fred Holton play S. It depends who is playing Rover and if anyone goes pro. If everyone stays we have Dominque Reese, Morgan Burnett, Jemea Thomas, Lance Richardson, Jon Lockhart and Brandon Leslie

DE Anthony Williams. At DE (assuming Derrick stays) we have Derrick Morgan, Robert Hall, Anthony Egunwibe, Izzan Cross, Emmanuel Dieke, Euclid Cummings, Chris Crenshaw and Antonio Wilson.

DT Shawn Green and Denzel Mccoy. We have Ben Anderson, Jason Peters, J.C. Lanier, and T.J. Barnes.

OL Morgan Bailey and Alford. Have to beat out Sean Bedford, Nick Claytor, Austin Barrick, Joseph Gilbert, Omoreggie Uzzi, Mike Johnson, Nick Mccrae, Phil Smith, Will Jackson, Antonio Foster, Phil Smith and Jay finch.

A back or B back Charles Perkins. At A back we have Roddy Jones, Anthony Allen, Marcus Wright, Embry Peeples, Lucas Cox, Orwin Smith, Jamal Paige and Robbie Godhigh.
B back (assuming JD stays) Jonathan Dwyer, Preston Lyons, Richard Watson and Daniel drummond.

Depth is a wonderful thing. CPJ seems to have much deeper recruiting classes than we are accustomed to.

Back