“Big Announcement in the Near Future”

Screenshot_20221027-105215_Gmail.jpg
Meh. Need to add another zero to that number.

Also, if donor's show out, they could possible increase that cap. This is probably a feeler more than anything by the Foundation to see how serious donors are.
They wouldn't announce this publicly unless they already had 60%-75% secured. That's how fund raising works.

I was disappointed at first, b/c it looked like just another fundraiser. I guess the GT Foundation part is the big news.

The elephant in the room is that it is the school presidents that will vote to decide if we get in. A move to the B1G could very well be for academic reasons right now. We are a top research university and already have research partnerships with Illinois, Rutgers and Michigan. Committing to pull other B1G schools into those partnerships would easily offset any current athletic deficiencies. And the athletics can easily be addressed with the infusion of cash the B1G's media contracts.
The B10 talk is lunacy. Like the posters took too much adderall growing up.

The B10 talk is lunacy. Like the posters took too much adderall growing up.
Actually they didn’t take enough Adderall growing up. They can’t control the impulse to talk about the Big 10 no matter what the real subject that is being discussed.

Just note the matching gift and double points only applies to “new” gifts, i.e. gifts in excess of any donations made last giving year.

To be eligible to receive the Accelerate GT match credit, donors must make “new” gifts to the Athletic Scholarship Fund prior to December 31, 2022. “New gifts” are defined as any dollar amount greater than the amount given to the Athletic Scholarship Fund in the 2022 Giving Year (July 1, 2021-June 30, 2022).

• Donors who made gifts to the Athletic Scholarship Fund during the 2022 Giving Year will be eligible to receive a match on any amount* above their renewal amount

So this was the big news? Lmao
I don't understand... you don't think this is big news? The first time (to my knowledge) that the school is backing the athletic program? No one is falling over themselves about the number, but the program itself shows a big shift.

We can talk about all the symptoms of our problems, but our core problem itself is money to compete at the level we want to compete. That causes everything we're seeing, and it always has.

There's a few of us that have been shouting about this the last several years (hell, Wes Durham was saying this in early 2000s) - there is only one path to success here: the school has to back the athletic program financially, and not just implicitly to get decent bond ratings. Frankly, I think it has to be partnered with an escape, somehow to the B1G or SEC (which won't happen, so it's the B1G). The financial gulf between us and the B1G and SEC schools is simply too wide to bridge even with school support.

Anyone disagree? Fine - give out any other possible long-term solution.

The solution is NOT "hire the guy I want for our next football coach and he'll win and we'll be ok again" because your guy (and my guy, though I'm not sure who my guy is yet) are unlikely to be the next Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, you don't understand what's happened at Tech the last 25 years (including with two coaches who won), and you don't understand what's happened in the last 10 with college football generally. I'm talking a real, sustainable, strategic long-term business plan.

There's a few of us that have been shouting about this the last several years (hell, Wes Durham was saying this in early 2000s) - there is only one path to success here: the school has to back the athletic program financially, and not just implicitly to get decent bond ratings.

Related - is Wes still on TOS? And has he posted in the last few years? I'd love to hear his thoughts on where we are at right now and what he would do if he were AD or GT president.

Related - is Wes still on TOS? And has he posted in the last few years? I'd love to hear his thoughts on where we are at right now and what he would do if he were AD or GT president.
What is TOS

Yeah, the fact that in his first 3 days on the job, our new AD got a $2.5M pledge from the academic side of the school which has never been done before, but it's not big news. GTFO.
getting money from GT foundation is a huge step in the right direction.hope it continues. Could the AD have influenced that in 3 days or is it more likely that Cabrera had already made that decision?

getting money from GT foundation is a huge step in the right direction.hope it continues. Could the AD have influenced that in 3 days or is it more likely that Cabrera had already made that decision?
Cabrera had absolutely made the decision that we were headed in that direction, and he had said as much publicly. About the details, who knows when/how it was finalized. They both deserve credit for the direction IMO, though it's clear there is no other direction but backward.

I don't understand... you don't think this is big news? The first time (to my knowledge) that the school is backing the athletic program? No one is falling over themselves about the number, but the program itself shows a big shift.

I think when the school makes an announcement to expect an announcement that will excite and energize Yellow Jacket Nation, it's a little underwhelming when the news effectively amounts to "We want you to donate more money".

It is definitely big news and a good sign. Just feels like a weird one to tease like that.

Back