#12 for ‘21 - 3* TE - Ben Postma (TX)

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
Welcome to GT. Mr. Postma will be delivering first downs and TDs via air mail on a regular basis in a couple of years.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
Why? High school stats for any position other than QB and RB don’t mean much and even those aren’t reliable due to different levels of competition and coaching philosophies. All that matters is what he does on our campus as a student-athlete. He and Gibbs have the same college stats - zeros across the board.
Over-inflated HS stats mean nothing. We’re talking 5 catches over the course of a season in a receiving position.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
I can't really consider him a diamond in the rough as he has a decent list of P5 offers. Nowadays, with private coaching, 7 on 7's and the like, looking at HS stats and films isn't enough in scouting. Not a can't miss, blue chip prospect by any means, but not a big reach, either.
With all of the social distancing, how much of that has been going on though? That’s one of the reasons for my confusion. How much time has the staff actually had to scout him over the past year.

Again, I’m trusting the staff on it so this isn’t a dig on the kid. They clearly see something in him.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
With all of the social distancing, how much of that has been going on though? That’s one of the reasons for my confusion. How much time has the staff actually had to scout him over the past year.

Again, I’m trusting the staff on it so this isn’t a dig on the kid. They clearly see something in him.
Well, with Coach Dixon being from Houston, my guess is that one of his connections reached out and said you gotta look at this kid and it took off from there. I think your first instinct of trusting the staff is the right one. It's a position of need, but with so many guys on the board and so much time left, there wasn't really a need to just take any old body.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
The offer list indicates other major programs also saw the potential. The Air Force offer is a confirmation of his character. Our staff is doing a great job.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Over-inflated HS stats mean nothing. We’re talking 5 catches over the course of a season in a receiving position.
Depends on how he was used in the offense. We had wide receivers with fewer catches than that in their entire 4 year career.

If he’s doing his job as assigned, not his fault he only got 5 catches.