2 reports on Gailey's Newnan Club talk

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
2 reports on Gailey\'s Newnan Club talk

The 1st is by the AJC's Jeff Schultz & Coach G didn't want the paper to get ahold of anything juicy. Gailey thinks he can see where GT is 'going' to be.

Coach G can see where GT is going to be

The 2nd is from is from tc4gt who was there & stayed after Schultz left. He doesn't tell anything juicy, either, but does say that Gailey said "we are 3-5 yrs from getting to where we want to be". 1) 3-5 yrs from now is a looong time in college football. 2) 3-5 sure gives Coach a 3 yr window even after he gets to the 3 yr mark to begin being where we want to be. Talk about a slow boat to China. What are we fans supposed to do? Wait another 5 yrs from now to see if he actually gets to where we want to be? I dunno, I just dunno:

3-5 yrs to get to where we want to be

Re: 2 reports on Gailey\'s Newnan Club talk

Ace.. you've been asking some mighty tough questions lately.. and the truth can be blinding...

What's interesting in Schultz's article is the tough questions asked of gailey by those in attendance... I've read a bunch of recounts of people who have been to 1 of gailey's traveling circus events and there is never any mention of questions like in Schultz's column... Most of the time, reading accounts by posters of one of gailey's appearances is like reading a 1960's copy of Pravda.... censored for the public...

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Ace.. you've been asking some mighty tough questions lately.. and the truth can be blinding...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beebad let me ask you the toughest question of all and let's see if you can blind us with the freaking truth.

for someone who:
a) makes fun of engineers (lay off the autocad snides)
b) doesn't care for graduation rates
c) treats college football as pure selfish entertainment
d) didn't go to tech
e) doesn't have season tix
f) doesn't contribute to tech
g) doesn't even attend games

why does someone like that root for tech? why Tech? why not another team .. like an SEC team? they'd be a perfect match.

WHY TECH?

GT Ace, it makes little difference if he says one year or 3-5. I firmly believe this year will be a big indicator of how long he stays.

If he does fair, good, or great this year he will be back for at least another year and maybe more if he does good or great.

If he does poorly this year, I believe he will either resign or the big money donors will help him resign.

All of this is really irrelevant at this point. He "will" be here this year, and the performance this year will determine the rest.

Father Time
wink.gif

Ahso, I agree with part of what you say... But I think he's here for sure for 2 more years... Don't think they will cut him loose after this year unless there is an absolute catastrophe...

Looking at history, especially in context of expectations at Tech, I would offer an added line of thought to what Aho stated.

I think his tenure will not be decided on overall win-loss record but how we play down the stretch.

A college football season is an eternity. Witness what I just saw on ESPN Classic this weekend - a rerun of our 92 game vs. a loaded FSU team. Now true, Charlie Ward helped them pull one out. One would have thought with effort and prep that if Lewis could get that level of play surely we would run through most of the ACC - the opposite happened. I think that took the wind out of our sails and it went downhill from there.

Last year, similar things happened. NC State and UVa got completely overshawdowed by Nov. and Dec.

It's how you finish. If your team doesn't quit on you when you open 1-5 or 0-5, you can really rebound if you show improvement and are getting better going into the offseason.

On the other hand, if you start throwing in the towel and some blowouts occur, and I think this years Georgia game will by the lynchpin of Gailey's career since it marked him all through the offseason, things run downhill on you fast.

So, I say, watch not for overall record but how we perform in Nov. and Dec. We have Duke and Va on the road which could be a problem, a winnable game vs. UNC at home - and I think Gailey has to do better vs. Georgia, not win it necessarily, but it better be damn competitive or he will be outta here unless he goes into the game with some huge upsets somewhere else.

Depth and motivation are what win for teams late. As you say, we will have to wait and see.

Ace, couple of thoughts. First I don't think we were where we wanted to be when O'Leary was here. George always talked about closing the talent gap with FSU. We were still a couple of years away IMO (or a couple of recruiting classes). So to say we're 3-5 away from top 10 level makes sense. Not saying we haven't slipped some since Chan's been here but that it sounds about right to me.

That said, saying we're 3-5 years away may be Chan's way of saying he needs that much time, but it doesn't mean he'll get it. I agree with BeeBad on this one (horrors!). I think he will be here for at least 2 more years unless this season is just horrible. But I wouldn't count on more than 2 if I were him right now.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Ace, couple of thoughts. First I don't think we were where we wanted to be when O'Leary was here. George always talked about closing the talent gap with FSU. We were still a couple of years away IMO (or a couple of recruiting classes). So to say we're 3-5 away from top 10 level makes sense. Not saying we haven't slipped some since Chan's been here but that it sounds about right to me.

That said, saying we're 3-5 years away may be Chan's way of saying he needs that much time, but it doesn't mean he'll get it. I agree with BeeBad on this one (horrors!). I think he will be here for at least 2 more years unless this season is just horrible. But I wouldn't count on more than 2 if I were him right now.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NCjacket,

I agree. My definion of horrible may or may not be the same as yours. If we win 4 games or fewer and get blown out by UGA, Chan will be invited to leave. If we are 0-5 out of the shoot and get blown out by Auburn and FSU, Gailey won't finish the season. Just my opinion and I don't think this will happen.

Originally posted by 71Bee:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ncjacket:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NCjacket,

I agree. My definion of horrible may or may not be the same as yours. If we win 4 games or fewer and get blown out by UGA, Chan will be invited to leave. If we are 0-5 out of the shoot and get blown out by Auburn and FSU, Gailey won't finish the season. Just my opinion and I don't think this will happen.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71: Agree with your version of horrible and your assessment of Chan's status should the season fall as you stated. I also believe that those Big $$$ contributors will be feeling much the same and the rumbling will be heard by all.

Agree 71, I don't know that I have a vision of horrible. I guess I'll know it when I see it. Also MsTA, you hit it on the head, in the long run it's what the big $$ folks think about the effort, direction and future of the program.

If the bottom falls out - which could easily happen with questionable depth, he's gone. Tech community sort of sets the bar with the Bill Lewis thing. In other words, a one to three win season won't cut it. Ross and Curry started slow but they had some credibility that bought them some time. He will either have to play Georgia close or upset them to be on sure fire solid ground - because of last year he's marked that one out as pivotal.

Only game I can remember coming close was in '75. I was a freshman and we played Ugag on TV at night. 42-0 at the half! Talk about in shock! Stayed on campus for Thanksgiving instead of going home and all I got out of is was a roaring drunk. We scored 26 in the second half but take my word for it, none of them mattered. Ugag was coasting and playing out the clock. It could have been much worse.

I guess the only good thing I can say about last year is that we were shocked. I can remember far too many years when I knew we were going to get creamed and only watched out of duty.

BeeBad, as much as I would like to think that would happen, what makes you think Braine would take the fall for a football disaster?

I'd suggest he would lay it all on Gailey, start quoting overall academics and post-season playoff wins by including golf, swimming, etc. to present the "overall" state to Clough. Clough is his buddy.

I say he'd cut Gailey loose to save his own hide. In any event, I don't see Braine leaving and Gailey staying.

Condolensces about the party, MsTA.. Hopefully there was plenty of ouzo & metaxa to soothe the nerves..
smile.gif

Father.. I think the only way Braine would go out would be kicking & screaming... Have a hunch that Clough & Co. would sacrifice Braine to the "Money Dudes" & see if that would placate them... No empirical evidence here, purely conjecture... Hopefully we will hit the lottery & the broom will be wide & deep... Nothing more invigorating than seeing a university clean house when it is way over due...
behead.gif

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Only game I can remember coming close was in '75. I was a freshman and we played Ugag on TV at night. 42-0 at the half! Talk about in shock! Stayed on campus for Thanksgiving instead of going home and all I got out of is was a roaring drunk. We scored 26 in the second half but take my word for it, none of them mattered. Ugag was coasting and playing out the clock. It could have been much worse.

I guess the only good thing I can say about last year is that we were shocked. I can remember far too many years when I knew we were going to get creamed and only watched out of duty.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NCJ: I was at that '75 game at night! Became a fan in '74! Was just getting my feet wet with that rivalry ... didn't take long for me to hate what happened!

If i recall correctly, Pepper's halftime speech was televised live, by pre-arrangement. He was stunned.

Have to admit it's the only time I've ever left a Tech game early. At least my roommate tells me we left early, I just remember having a hard time finding my dorm. Vince could have named the score that night if he had wanted to.

Since Gailey will be calling the plays himself this year, the offensive production will rest squarely on his shoulders.

If the offense does not look good this year, I can't see Braine being the scapegoat for Gailey. If Gailey does not produce a decent team, we might well see both Braine and Gailey ousted.

However, as before, I will wait patiently to see how things turn out this year.

Father Time
drinking.gif

Ahso-agree about next season telling the tale, but I think Braine will oust G before he'll let his own job get pinned down on the guillotine. The question that jumps to my mind is 'what record will it take for Braine to muster up the rocks to severe 'his' man'?
Here's an Ace type guess:
1)below 6-6;-Too many Tech fans are real upset. Braine cuts G before the firing squad blindfold hits his own eyes.
2)6-6;-Tech fans split nearly 50-50. Braine & Gailey are in a bad situation. Braine sticks by 'his' man & begs us for 1 more yr.
3)7-5;-Slight majority of GT fans don't want Gailey fired. Braine says we're turning the corner. Gailey stays in hot chair 1 more yr.
4)8-4 or better;-Tech fans pretty much happy. Braine says 'I told u so'. Gailey is toast of the state.

NCJacket- good point on 'the 3-5 plan'. Did Coach G say this because of all the players he NOW has to replace & it really may take 3-5 yrs just to come back from it? Just teasing
wink.gif
Ahso-great pt about our OC & the offense being a key as to how he is judged as a coach. The O game plan will speak volumes & comparisons to Fridge, & even O'B, are inevitable.

Back