2015 AB & BB starters

I don't believe burning a RS is nearly as costly for non-QB skill positions as it is for linemen.

kind of odd, always thought we'd have RBs running out of our ears given we take the little ones but now we have the O-Line and QB we have been looking for all this time and no other returning skill position starters

I bet it works out though, if we can just find a few that don't fumble, line ought to make them look good.

I don't believe burning a RS is nearly as costly for non-QB skill positions as it is for linemen.

kind of odd, always thought we'd have RBs running out of our ears given we take the little ones but now we have the O-Line and QB we have been looking for all this time and no other returning skill position starters

I bet it works out though, if we can just find a few that don't fumble, line ought to make them look good.

Lol, I feel the same way, surprised we're looking short here.

Disagree about your last point though. WR and AB blocking is absolutely critical. All blocking facets have to be executed at a high level for the offense to work. When we don't block outside well, it makes us more one dimensional. We have a lot of senior guys leaving with blocking experience and we will noticeably miss them.

Disagree about your last point though. WR and AB blocking is absolutely critical. All blocking facets have to be executed at a high level for the offense to work. When we don't block outside well, it makes us more one dimensional. We have a lot of senior guys leaving with blocking experience and we will noticeably miss them.

quite true, overlooked that

I'm worried about this problem a lot too. If only JJ Green could start, it'd make me feel a bit better knowing we have some experience.

Everyone says this offense thrives when we have a good QB. But look at 70% of our plays- Dives. It's going to hurt without Laskey & Days (BOTH 6'2+ I might add). I think next year will be a dominant defensive performance, while 2016 will be another ACCCG appearance/OB.

I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but the B-Back got the ball on 43% of plays this year and the highest previous year was 37%.

And on maybe the majority of those plays, the QB is who makes the decision on the B-Back getting the ball. Clearly the offense lives and breathes through the QB. So I'm arguing against myself w/r/t Byerly.

I haven't attended any scrimmages or practices this year so I don't actually know what the QB depth situation is for next season but I'm guessing it can't be as bad as the B-Back situation.

One big reason I suggested Byerly is not just for GT, but for him. He is a rising senior and he'll never start or play significant minutes unless JT gets hurt, but if he moved to B-Back and did well it would give him a shot at a special senior season.

Agree that Leggett is probable BB starter.

Snoddy and Andrews will be your AB starters.

#2 BB is key because it's hard to stay healthy all year and that's some tough sledding when we have back to back death marches. I think it will come down to two things: ball security and blocking. Running ability virtually never determines who gets the nod. QW definitely has an advantage getting to go through spring, but MLD has SO much talent and looks very developed physically. Kirvonte Benson is another that will get a look at BB - very physical, good balance, and runs behind his pads (also is Snoddy fast) but might be a bit small, has a legit shot at one of the AB spots. Just have to see where he fits the best.

#3-4 ABs are also a big deal. Even though it seems like we have way too many ABs, you need a lot of capable guys as Bostic really struggled blocking FSU. KB may get a look at AB, very similar to Snoddy physically (that speed would be sweet at BB though). Nathan Cottrell is possible, AJ Gray could get a look at AB, Omari Jaharett is an AB, just have to see who picks up the blocking in space the best. Other options are some of the QB/WR/DBs who might switch to AB if they won't get on the field at their recruited positions.

AJ Gray is coming in as a safety. Which is why Searcy is on offense. We have 3 WR commits coming in plus Campbell who will play QB or WR depending on how Ratliffe recovers. As far as current WR depth goes. We only rotate 3 receivers so A back is a more pressing need. Summers and Jeune will probably start. Messick is there but is still raw. Searcy can play there as well but will probably depend on what freshmen do what and how Messick develops. We also may take a 4th WR commit.

Willis is going to play.... looked very good on the opps he got. Will be a RS Junior.... 5' 9" 200. Maybe shot at B Back if he puts on another 10 or so...

Do not, do not, do not underestimate the importance of good A-backs in this O. A big difference maker for us this year has been excellent perimeter blocking and very few fumbles on the pitch.

Do not, do not, do not underestimate the importance of good A-backs in this O. A big difference maker for us this year has been excellent perimeter blocking and very few fumbles on the pitch.

Bingo. You saw B.J.'s garbage blocking in the ACCCG and that hurt us considerably.

I'
And on maybe the majority of those plays, the QB is who makes the decision on the B-Back getting the ball. Clearly the offense lives and breathes through the QB.

This is it. Not to take away anything from Laskey and/or Days, but If the QB makes the right read then they get the ball only when there's an opening.

Looking to the future, the press our offense is getting lately could/should really help us to recruit running backs. Imagine a Gurley-type runner in the BB slot.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if somebody moves to A-back in the offseason. Searcy and one of the Austin twins would probably be candidates, and I'd even consider moving Jamal Golden. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands but has really struggled tackling at times.

I want to see Byerly get a shot at B back. I realize his value as a backup to JT5 but the kid is to talented to sit on the sidelines all game until garbage time. Develop someone else to be the backup and get Tim in the game.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if somebody moves to A-back in the offseason. Searcy and one of the Austin twins would probably be candidates, and I'd even consider moving Jamal Golden. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands but has really struggled tackling at times.

lol no way he move a senior starting safety to AB

Just keep an eye on Cottrell, not only can he fly and has good hands, he's built solidly and has never shied away from contact. He knows how to set his blocks so I think he's going to have little problem getting his blocking assignments down. He and Benson are probably the most physically ready freshmen A backs Tech had come in. Don't fall asleep on Clinton Lynch either.

CJ at B back, Quaide will get a jump on MLD but as someone else pointed out MLKD is a helluva talented back.

Qb coming back which is most important. Most of o line back which is second most important(but shaq will be a big loss). Just need a b back that will hold onto the ball and A backs that can block cause snoddy and Andrews are both explosive. We'll be alright in the passing game even without smelter and Waller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back