2018 Offensive Unit Projections

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
The offense will be better next year.

If I had time, I would plot (# returning starters on offense) vs (points per possession on offense), show how strongly that's correlated for CPJ-GT offenses, and give a prediction based on that. But I have a real job. One of you guys can do it. I expect this year's offense to be somewhere in the top 4 of all GT offenses under CPJ, intuitively speaking.

The question is what the defense does. And I don't think there's any real applicable data for that - it's going to come down to coaching.
Comon beej, you call posting articles on the interweb a real job?

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Any chance we get a waiver for DeFoor?

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Still no word on this. Get it together, NCAA.
They got more on their plate making sure UNC never faces any punishment for one of the largest cheating scandals in college sports

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Can’t dispute this but I do think Marshall’s passing numbers will improve. Would be hard to improve on his rushing numbers though.
I think if his passing #s improve, the rushing will decrease almost linearly in conjunction.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I see why they call you the blind jacket.
Barring an injury I dont believe CPJ will replace Taquan. But if by the second or third game we're having offensive production issues he will sub someone else in to see if they can make a difference. And if whoever goes in can make a difference they will earn the starter spot for the next game. But this is all very low probability, unless we have a super star in the waiting. Chances are whoever is subbing in for Taquan will be plagued by the same offensive line issues that Taquan can't overcome, plus having close to 0 game experience, they wont be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
It will if someone blocks.
There were more than a few obvious pitching opportunities that he wasted. We can hope that with more practice he will get better. I'm willing to eat crow and watch him become a great player.

Van hayes

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
There were more than a few obvious pitching opportunities that he wasted. We can hope that with more practice he will get better. I'm willing to eat crow and watch him become a great player.
He didn't pitch because in was in shock that someone blocked in those few opportunities.

Van hayes

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I think if his passing #s improve, the rushing will decrease almost linearly in conjunction.
All this talk about TM's passing game. The passing game wouldn't improve if Tom Brady was the QB. The reason for this is simple. The type of passes we throw is the whole problem. The passes or pass I should say, is called the bomb! There problem is solved. Takes longer for play to develop and we have to hold blocks longer to give receiver time to run down the field. If our stubborn coach would work on a short to median range passing game, it would be much more effective.

ee8384

Affable Curmudgeon
Barring an injury I dont believe CPJ will replace Taquan. But if by the second or third game we're having offensive production issues he will sub someone else in to see if they can make a difference. And if whoever goes in can make a difference they will earn the starter spot for the next game. But this is all very low probability, unless we have a super star in the waiting. Chances are whoever is subbing in for Taquan will be plagued by the same offensive line issues that Taquan can't overcome, plus having close to 0 game experience, they wont be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat.
You just ain't thinking this through. CPJ gets paid no matter what. If you were his age and had made as much per year as he has, would you really care? Not knocking CPJ but it is going on every day in corporate America. And it is an established fact that college football is Corporate America.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
All this talk about TM's passing game. The passing game wouldn't improve if Tom Brady was the QB. The reason for this is simple. The type of passes we throw is the whole problem. The passes or pass I should say, is called the bomb! There problem is solved. Takes longer for play to develop and we have to hold blocks longer to give receiver time to run down the field. If our stubborn coach would work on a short to median range passing game, it would be much more effective.
No room for improvement but literally every CPJ QB at tech has done better.

Something don't add up.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
You just ain't thinking this through. CPJ gets paid no matter what. If you were his age and had made as much per year as he has, would you really care? Not knocking CPJ but it is going on every day in corporate America. And it is an established fact that college football is Corporate America.
I disagree. Yes I'm sure having a $3 million plus income softens the pain of every loss but saying he doesn't care is biased. If he didnt care he wouldn't be getting in their players' faces, yelling at his coaches or making frustrated decisions when he's losing. You might call him stubborn and I would agree with you to a certain point. But he cares. Cares enough to talk öööö about his previous boss not delivering on his promises to help him succeed. That's not something that someone just looking to collect a paycheck does.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
All this talk about TM's passing game. The passing game wouldn't improve if Tom Brady was the QB. The reason for this is simple. The type of passes we throw is the whole problem. The passes or pass I should say, is called the bomb!
If we change that aspect of the offense, it will be something else entirely, and we might as well start from scratch. With CPJ's offense, "When we pass it, we mean it." The passing play is used to catch the defense cheating to stop the run and make them pay a big price for disrespecting that threat. Our QB only needs to complete about one third of the bombs, and be able to recognize and complete most of the passes in which an A or Bback sneaks out of the backfield without getting covered. If the QB isn't able to accomplish those two things, defenses will just aggressively attack our running game all day. Last season, defenses learned to focus on TM and dare him to pass and pitch effectively, and he struggled to make that adjustment. CPJ believes that TM is a hard worker and wants to get better, which together with his game experience, gives him a good chance of being a better starter than a younger guy.

beej67

new around here
Thoughts:

The whole point of this offense is to suck people in tight and throw over the top. If they have to commit 11 to the run, then every pass is for a TD. It takes the Nebraska run offense, and dials it up a notch because it prevents people from playing us like they played Nebraska - a 5-3 with tight safeties.

That said, we have to be able to execute the pass over the top. If we can't execute the pass over the top, and all we're ever going to do is run the ball, then we'd technically be better off just lining up in the for-real-actual-wishbone.

When we can complete 50% of our passes, our passing efficiency is off the charts deadly disgusting mindblowing. This is a true thing, and you cannot argue that it's not true. And we have achieved those sorts of numbers in the past.

Reeling it all back in .... there is definitely a short passing element that I feel we don't use enough - the screen. Quick short passes for us are complete garbage because we're throwing right into the teeth of a stacked area - there's no room to do it. But when our opponents are flowing heavily towards the motion, which is quite often, back side screens are really nasty. They're not only effective in scoring, they're also deadly psychologically, because it makes the defense second guess their read keys. In my opinion, we should have two unique screen plays installed for every game plan.

If we were really good at executing the triple option towards the motion side of the field, and making our blocks, the only way to stop it is to flow to that motion with safety support. And if we can force our opponents to flow to motion with safety support regularly, on like two thirds or more of our plays, then the first screen we pop against that motion is going to go for 80 yards and a touchdown. We've seen this before. It works a lot. If I were King of GT Football, I would replace all those play calls where we run the counter off motion with a screen instead. The upside is just higher.