2020 Recruiting

We have 6 OL but no DTs. I pretty much look at this thread just for news on Jayson Jones now.
Hopefully we can find defensive tackles in the transfer portal. Does Lee come back next year as an offensive lineman or as a defensive tackle? He should be full speed by spring.

Why would Lewis not be a take? Grades, or we think we have better guys locked down?
Lewis has been sliding for awhile now. Not a hard worker from the sound of it, although I've heard he has had a decent senior season. Auburn dropped him awhile back.

If we get perry and one of Jones and Stackhouse, that's a really solid effort.

If we can find a serviceable OL or 2 in the portal this offseason, I can see Lee moving strictly to DL if he comes back healthy.

EDIT: And in person, D'Quan Douse and Mike Lockhart are huge. I could easily see both growing into DT.
Given it was a simple break, he should be back well before spring practice with no residual issues.

There are very, very few college ready DTs in high school.

The mental gymnastics has begun in earnest, I see.

> Be Stingtalk
> Complain about existing players being FCS talent at critical positions groups
> Hail our upgraded recruiting ability and strategy
> MFW upgraded talent at said position groups doesn't materialize
> Ask for FCS talent at critical position groups anyway
> "Cause Reasons"
> da faq?

Last edited:
The mental gymnastics has begun in earnest, I see.

> Be Stingtalk
> Complain about existing players being FCS talent at critical positions groups
> Hail our upgraded recruiting ability and strategy
> MFW upgraded talent at said position groups doesn't materialize
> Ask for FCS talent at critical position groups anyway
> "Cause Reasons"
> da faq?
Don't be silly. WTTE of my comment can be found on pretty much any college football message board. I would be curious how many Div 1 DTs entered college as a DT, and compare that to other positions.

Upgraded recruiting doesnt mean we get to pick our players first. There are a small number of ready DTs. The competition for them is insane. We have a better chance of making an all-ACC DT from a DE recruit with the right measurables than someone much below 50 or so on the DT recruit list. I trust the staff to make the right call here.

Don't be silly. WTTE of my comment can be found on pretty much any college football message board. I would be curious how many Div 1 DTs entered college as a DT, and compare that to other positions.

Upgraded recruiting doesnt mean we get to pick our players first.

There's your Day 1 starters at DT for GT. From the recruiting rumblings, we're a strong lean on Perry and fighting tooth and nail with Bama for Jones.

The question is, would we even be fighting tooth and nail for Jones with Bama, if the previous staff was still here?

No

Dividends paying off already with a top DT prospect listing GT in his final 5

No question Jones wouldn't even be on our radar nor we on his previous years.

All the more reason talking about taking FCS talent as a science experiment is ööööing retarded, even for Stingtalk.

There's your Day 1 starters at DT for GT. From the recruiting rumblings, we're a strong lean on Perry and fighting tooth and nail with Bama for Jones.

True. For GT. But thats largely because we have not recruited well. Jones is one of the few that could start quickly most places. But if he goes to a factory like Alabama he's not a day one starter.

You think Perry would be a day 1 starter at very many decent football schools? He should come here because of that, and so should Jones. The opportunity to be a four year starter on a resurging football school is a really special opportunity.

This is another example of the staff sticking to the book. We need DTs but they are holding to two slots. Also, they seem to be strongly weighting recruits' measurables. Those are among the tallest DTs on the board.

I think we were in the top 5 for Dalvin Tomlinson.

We were #2 for Tomlinson. #1 for Tuitt. Lorenzo Carter had a good relationship with us before going elsewhere. Jenkins was a guy who Tech thought we had a chance with before UGA started an engineering program and lured him away.

The narrative that being in the Top 5 for good DL is something new under CGC is a fabrication of people who just started following recruiting.

But if CGC lands Jones it will be noteworthy for sure.

Last edited:
The question is, would we even be fighting tooth and nail for Jones with Bama, if the previous staff was still here?

No

Dividends paying off already with a top DT prospect listing GT in his final 5

Dividends aren't paying off unless one of them signs here; but I agree we have better shot with current staff than we did with the previous one.

We were #2 for Tomlinson. #1 for Tuitt. Lorenzo Carter had a good relationship with us before going elsewhere. Jenkins was a guy who Tech thought we had a chance with before UGA started an engineering program and lured him away.

The narrative that being in the Top 5 for good DL is something new under CGC is a fabrication of people who just started following recruiting.

But if CGC lands Jones it will be noteworthy for sure.
No one said it’s something new exactly. But, I’ve been following GT recruiting for 15 years and can count on 1 hand the amount of top DL we’ve attracted to seriously consider us.

So seeing the possibility of it picking up is exciting. Just like listening to Derrick Morgan Saturday talk about CGC being instrumental in building those relationships within the class. Hopefully he can bring more players of that caliber here

Back