2020 Recruiting

ChadWins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
This has been discussed numerous times, there will be a lot of attrition in the off season.
may have missed this somewhere else but how are we making room for 23 with very small senior class, a few of which coming back next year after injury?

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Who has the scoop on who all is on campus for Pitt? I get the impression it’s a pretty big Visit weekend... Have seen several 2020 targets, commits and even possibly some 2021 guys saying they’ll be here.

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
Who has the scoop on who all is on campus for Pitt? I get the impression it’s a pretty big Visit weekend... Have seen several 2020 targets, commits and even possibly some 2021 guys saying they’ll be here.
Per Ken, here is a partial list: Cornerback Miles Brooks (Jacksonville Fla.), running back Jahmyr Gibbs (Dalton High), offensive lineman Trent Howard (Birmingham, Ala.), cornerback Jalen Huff (Buford High), wide receiver Ryan King (Grayson High), wide receiver Nate McCollum (Dutchtown High), linebacker Tyson Meiguez (Creekside High), defensive lineman Akelo Stone (Jenkins High in Savannah), tight end Billy Ward (Locust Grove High) and defensive tackle JaQuari Wiggles (Mays High).

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Thanks...I found the article. Seems you missed a few. Those above are all of our current commits visiting.

Here are OVs:
The first is cornerback Jalen Harrell of Hialeah, Fla. Harrell is a senior and a four-star prospect with reported scholarship offers from Clemson, Florida State, Penn State, Miami. Harrell had committed to Florida State in April but withdrew his commitment on Oct. 15.

Another is Jared Ivey, a three-star defensive end from powerhouse North Gwinnett High. Ivey, who has Tech in his top five (along with Colorado, Duke, Nebraska and Stanford), would be the highest-rated defensive lineman in the class (No. 630 nationally and No. 61 in the state of Georgia, per 247Sports Composite) were he to join. Coach Geoff Collins made a recruiting visit by helicopter to watch Ivey and others in a North Gwinnett-Walton game in September.

The last is defensive end Akheem Mesidor from Clearwater, Fla. Mesidor is a three-star prospect and likewise is rated higher than any defensive lineman already committed to Tech. Mesidor is from Ottawa, Ontario, and reportedly enrolled at Clearwater Academy before his senior year. He also made an official visit to UCLA last week and West Virginia in June. He also has offers from Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech Ole Miss and others.
Here are some on unofficial:
• Junior linebacker Chief Borders, McEachern High. Not rated, but holds offers from Georgia, Ohio State, Florida, LSU and others. Borders has visited Tech previously.

• Junior wide receiver Joshua Burrell, Blythewood, S.C. Three stars. Other offers: Penn State, South Carolina, Louisville.

• Senior linebacker Khatavian Franks, Creekside High. Three stars. Committed to Louisville. Teammate of Tech commit Tyson Meiguez.

• Junior defensive tackle Tim Keenan, Birmingham, Ala. Four stars. Holds offers from Alabama, Auburn, Georgia.

• Junior offensive tackle Jakiah Leftwich, Westlake High. Unrated. Holds offers from Minnesota, Maryland, Kansas. Has made previous visits to Tech.

• Senior defensive end Jalen Mayala, Archer High. Other offers: UCLA, Virginia, Mississippi State. Mayala reported his offer from Tech on Oct. 25.

• Junior quarterback Walter Simmons III, Orange Park, Fla. Three stars. Other offers: LSU, Virginia Tech, Illinois. Simmons made two unofficial visits to Tech earlier in the year.
Ive heard rumors of some others as well. Based on the players receiving the most buzz, it sounds like we want to take at least one more CB/S and probably a couple more DL.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Other than a PWO, do we have a kicker in this class...or are we even gonna spend a scholarship on one? Pretty obvious/glaring need of this football team.

ramblin57

Varsity Lurker
Other than a PWO, do we have a kicker in this class...or are we even gonna spend a scholarship on one? Pretty obvious/glaring need of this football team.
It would surprise me if we spend scholly on kicker this class.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
We have a pwo coming in. Not a ton of kickers worth a scholarship straight out of high school and we have 2 on scholarship already (we won't next year, IMO). King was probably a reach.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Collins needs to land his helicopter on some soccer fields this spring and give out some PWO offers. I wouldn’t give a kicker a scholarship until they show they aren’t a head case.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Hopefully Wesley Wells heals up quick. There’s no way he’s not hampered by some type of injury because he produced the worst kickoff my eyes have ever seen yesterday. I don’t believe there’s an adjective in the dictionary to describe how truly awful that kickoff attempt was.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Making kickers earn the scholarship on campus is the way to go, especially if you're signing around 25/year. There may be the rare exception, but in general kickers are such wild cards that it's hard to justify scholarships for them unless you're not signing to capacity.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
We have 2 PWOs coming in. Seems about right. Both Wells and King have talent but they need to get mind right and perform under pressure. Competition will be good for all. Having 4 kickers is about all you can do from a recruiting and coaching POV

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Making kickers earn the scholarship on campus is the way to go, especially if you're signing around 25/year. There may be the rare exception, but in general kickers are such wild cards that it's hard to justify scholarships for them unless you're not signing to capacity.
In general I agree with this. Of course we would not have had Butker with this approach. We had Bulovas committed, then we went to a plan B when he switched. Hard to have 2 schollies tied to kickers and neither is good. That must change prior to 2020.

G776T

Not pastor material.
Hopefully Wesley Wells heals up quick. There’s no way he’s not hampered by some type of injury because he produced the worst kickoff my eyes have ever seen yesterday. I don’t believe there’s an adjective in the dictionary to describe how truly awful that kickoff attempt was.
I assumed we were going for some sort of chip shot onside kick with that one

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Butker was an exception as was Harvin at punter. Both were considered pretty sure things coming out of high school. But there are only a small handful of those every year, so you wont always get one.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Shoulde we be interested in Joey Gatewood, the 4 star QB from Auburn, who just entered the transfer portal?