2021 Recruiting

The Jacket

The Coat
When did he say that? Also in your opinion do you think Collins has been doing a good job by evaluating his first class? I read an interesting stat the other day. Out of the top 40 ranked recruits Tech has landed out of high school all-time, (since the beginning of recruiting rankings), the 2020 class has 7 of them. I'd say that's pretty telling.
Holy damn x2. Did not know about this, thanks for sharing.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
When did he say that? Also in your opinion do you think Collins has been doing a good job by evaluating his first class? I read an interesting stat the other day. Out of the top 40 ranked recruits Tech has landed out of high school all-time, (since the beginning of recruiting rankings), the 2020 class has 7 of them. I'd say that's pretty telling.
5CE6014F-9288-4272-8032-2353BAA05DB6.jpeg

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Holy damn x2. Did not know about this, thanks for sharing.
According to 247's list, here are GT's all time top 40 (41 counting Bryce Gowdy - RIP) recruits (CGC's recruits bolded). That's 9 of the top 40 (10 of 41). The names with the asterisk were all in the 2007 recruiting class when he was the GT recruiting coordinator in 2006. That's 7 more. This recruiting cycle isn't over yet either, and I expect to see another name or two end up in this list via new recruits or some of our current commit's possibly getting a rating bump. So in less than 4 years total, he will have his name attached to nearly half (if not more than half) of our top 40 recruits.

Calvin Johnson
Hobie Holiday
Brandon Sumner
Derrick Morgan*
Jahmyr Gibbs
Morgan Burnett*
Jonathan Dwyer*
Justin Thomas
Kenny Scott
Rashaun Grant
Francis Kallon
Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Jeff Sims
Joshua Nesbitt*
Louis Young
Miles Brooks
Shamire DeVine
Ryan Ayers
James BlackStrain (2021)
George Cooper
David Jordan
Jaylon King
James Graham
Anthony Williams
Jared Ivey
J.C. Lanier
Omoregie Uzzi
Jamious Griffin
Myles Autry
Jason Peters*
Denzel McCoy
Nick Claytor*
Roderick Sweeting
Bryce Gowdy
D.J. Donley*
Nate McCollum
Shawn Green
Jordan Luallen
Vad Lee
Khatavian Franks
Ryan King

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Oh also on this list would be these transfers he got in:

Antonneous Clayton - would be #2 on the list
Derrik Allen - would be #8
Myles Sims - would be #11
Ryan Johnson - would be #18
Marquez Ezzard - would be #26

Adding all of these would bump 2 of his recruits out of the top 40, but would still be a net +3.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
The #404 branding was created for a kid like this. Coach Key in his introductory press conference said Tech's degree offerings would make things easy with today's tech focused kids.

To your question, yes but he can't continue to miss at such critical positions groups. That's the whole ballgame for Collins' success. We've not really had trouble, regardless of the coach, hitting on skill players on O or DBs really on D. Where Tech historically struggles to maintain is along the most important position groups - OL and the front 7 on D. Collins consistently exudes confidence he can change that.

Of that awesome list @GoGATech provided, I count: 7 DBs, 8DL, 1 LB, 21 O skill positions, and 4 OL.

I'd say from a meaningful contribution perspective that 8 DL number is misleading, and the LB count is a kick in the nuts.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
According to 247's list, here are GT's all time top 40 (41 counting Bryce Gowdy - RIP) recruits (CGC's recruits bolded). That's 9 of the top 40 (10 of 41). The names with the asterisk were all in the 2007 recruiting class when he was the GT recruiting coordinator in 2006. That's 7 more. This recruiting cycle isn't over yet either, and I expect to see another name or two end up in this list via new recruits or some of our current commit's possibly getting a rating bump. So in less than 4 years total, he will have his name attached to nearly half (if not more than half) of our top 40 recruits.

Calvin Johnson
Hobie Holiday
Brandon Sumner
Derrick Morgan*
Jahmyr Gibbs
Morgan Burnett*
Jonathan Dwyer*
Justin Thomas
Kenny Scott
Rashaun Grant
Francis Kallon
Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Jeff Sims
Joshua Nesbitt*
Louis Young
Miles Brooks
Shamire DeVine
Ryan Ayers
James BlackStrain (2021)
George Cooper
David Jordan
Jaylon King
James Graham
Anthony Williams
Jared Ivey
J.C. Lanier
Omoregie Uzzi
Jamious Griffin
Myles Autry
Jason Peters*
Denzel McCoy
Nick Claytor*
Roderick Sweeting
Bryce Gowdy
D.J. Donley*
Nate McCollum
Shawn Green
Jordan Luallen
Vad Lee
Khatavian Franks
Ryan King
Seeing as how almost half those names are CPJ recruits, I’m guessing “all-time” actually means “since we started rating guys in the early 2000s.” In which case I’d think it’s fairly obvious a lot of guys on this list would be CGC/Gailey or CPJ recruits.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
The #404 branding was created for a kid like this. Coach Key in his introductory press conference said Tech's degree offerings would make things easy with today's tech focused kids.

To your question, yes but he can't continue to miss at such critical positions groups. That's the whole ballgame for Collins' success. We've not really had trouble, regardless of the coach, hitting on skill players on O or DBs really on D. Where Tech historically struggles to maintain is along the most important position groups - OL and the front 7 on D. Collins consistently exudes confidence he can change that.

Of that awesome list @GoGATech provided, I count: 7 DBs, 8DL, 1 LB, 21 O skill positions, and 4 OL.

I'd say from a meaningful contribution perspective that 8 DL number is misleading, and the LB count is a kick in the nuts.
So, if you go top 100, you would add:

Weston Franklin - OL #63
Michael Rankins - OL #71
Jordan Williams - OL #76
River Helms - TE #78
Tyson Meiguez - LB #85
Kalani Norris - WR #86
Ahmarean Brown - WR #87
Leo Blackburn - WR #90
Sirad Bryant - DB #91
Kaleb Edwards - DB #92
Jalen Huff - DB #95
Malik Rutherford - WR #96
Joshua Robinson - DL #100

So that's 4 OL, 1 LB, 4 WR, 3 DB, 1DL
Add in the transfers above that's another WR, OL, DL, and 2 DBs.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Seeing as how almost half those names are CPJ recruits, I’m guessing “all-time” actually means “since we started rating guys in the early 2000s.” In which case I’d think it’s fairly obvious a lot of guys on this list would be CGC/Gailey or CPJ recruits.
Yes since about 2000. Point being you're looking at a 20+ year span and CGC has had a hand in almost half of them in less than 4 years total time here. 1/4 of them (and counting) as a head coach in <3 years.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes since about 2000. Point being you're looking at a 20+ year span and CGC has had a hand in almost half of them in less than 4 years total time here. 1/4 of them (and counting) as a head coach in <3 years.
and just for comparison purposes I looked at Clemson's class (this year's I think) and they had about 8 that would be in our all time top 10

This covers 18 or 20 years I think

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
Hobie Holiday was a name I haven’t heard in a long time. Had to Google him and the first result was a 2002 Stingtalk thread from when he quit the team. ncjacket, gnats, and ahsoisee (rip) made a showing.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
It was a nice class, but I think there's been a lot of star inflation over the past decade or so.
It's also a little early to say with the vast majority of these guys. Besides Gibbs, who is already a star and has a floor higher than the ceiling of the rest of the team, most of these guys aren't ready to take significant snaps at this level yet. Doesn't mean some of them won't end up being great players in the future.

Techbert

Dodd-Like

Calvin Johnson
Hobie Holiday
Brandon Sumner
Derrick Morgan*
Jahmyr Gibbs
Morgan Burnett*
Jonathan Dwyer*
Justin Thomas
Kenny Scott
Rashaun Grant
Francis Kallon
Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Jeff Sims
Joshua Nesbitt*
Louis Young
Miles Brooks
Shamire DeVine
Ryan Ayers
James BlackStrain (2021)
George Cooper
David Jordan
Jaylon King
James Graham
Anthony Williams
Jared Ivey
J.C. Lanier
Omoregie Uzzi
Jamious Griffin
Myles Autry
Jason Peters*
Denzel McCoy
Nick Claytor*
Roderick Sweeting
Bryce Gowdy
D.J. Donley*
Nate McCollum
Shawn Green
Jordan Luallen
Vad Lee
Khatavian Franks
Ryan King
More CGC recruits than you highlighted, if you include those he recruited as an assistant and I think you should.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb

Calvin Johnson
Hobie Holiday
Brandon Sumner
Derrick Morgan*
Jahmyr Gibbs
Morgan Burnett*
Jonathan Dwyer*
Justin Thomas
Kenny Scott
Rashaun Grant
Francis Kallon
Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Jeff Sims
Joshua Nesbitt*
Louis Young
Miles Brooks
Shamire DeVine
Ryan Ayers
James BlackStrain (2021)
George Cooper
David Jordan
Jaylon King
James Graham
Anthony Williams
Jared Ivey
J.C. Lanier
Omoregie Uzzi
Jamious Griffin
Myles Autry
Jason Peters*
Denzel McCoy
Nick Claytor*
Roderick Sweeting
Bryce Gowdy
D.J. Donley*
Nate McCollum
Shawn Green
Jordan Luallen
Vad Lee
Khatavian Franks
Ryan King
I must be missing it . . . where are Demaryius Thomas, Darren Waller, Shaq Mason, Tashard Choice, Harrison Butker . . .

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I must be missing it . . . where are Demaryius Thomas, Darren Waller, Shaq Mason, Tashard Choice, Harrison Butker . . .
All those guys were 3 stars coming out of HS and as noted above, Choice originally signed and played at Oklahoma.