2022 Recruiting

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
So that’s a no on the quote then?
I don't have time to provide a quote, but I'm sure they are out there. I'm surprised you're scoffing at the existence rather than the severity. I don't recall it as a crutch, but rather one of the reasons that had an effect on success. Sorry my internet bantz offended you.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
I hate to throw in some history but the questions about this haven’t been around for a few select years. It’s even been brought up by GT’s more successful coaches over....well since before many of us were alive. I think the solution is for the guys to keep working hard on and off the field. Let’s hope that continues.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I have plenty to criticize CPJ about, but I do not recall him blaming the Hill for his level of recruiting. He may have blamed the level of commitment to recruiting by the athletic department, but that is on the AD and I may not disagree with him. I believe one reason he was hired in the first place was that the administrators thought recruiting for his specialized offense would be cheaper than recruiting mainstream recruits.

We credit and blame coaches quite a bit for things that were in the AD bailiwick. The AD limited CPJ, in addition to the self-limiting he did himself. The AD limited the coach before him, and also screwed up the department's basic functions to the point it handed that coach a massive catastrophe of the athletic department's sole making. CGOL was in a low-grade guerilla war with the department for years about recruiting. Ironically the last coach with a golden recruiting ticket was B*** L****. Too bad he was an idiot.

Many of you know that Bobinski was a disaster, but I would argue Dave Braine was a bigger disaster. His Sports Information Director said, "Georgia Tech will NEVER be a consistent winner in football." Yes, the public relations guy said that, which I think is the most GT thing ever. Braine openly said we had an upper limit of a few decent seasons a decade and he worked to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. CCG spent the first part of his tenure selectively going after low-hanging fruit and identifying diamonds in the rough. He then rebelled, and we had the Class of 2007. We were putting together a comparable class when the AD canned him. Coincidence?

Geoff Collins, under Gailey, basically invented the recruiting protocols everyone uses today. We were light-years ahead of other schools in contact management, etc. Gailey wanted to keep him but the AD would not allow us to offer squat. So Saban bought him, and Gailey was shown the door. Saban did not teach Collins anything about recruiting; Collins taught him.

Anyway, we are back. Homer Rice was a world-class AD, and Stansbury wants to be. We are shooting ever higher in recruiting and as long as we don't collect an assortment of gang-raping thugs like some other schools with "high" academic reputations, and I am literal, I think the Hill will stay out of Collins' hair for the most.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Yeah, I think that is about right. Johnson had restrictions forced on him by the Hill or AA but he didn’t complain about it. He mentioned it but basically said it was something that just had to be dealt with. He complained about Bobinski in a way but that was more than fair.

gtloyal

Looking to the future
Any news about potential recruits? We seem to be filling the void with war stories and equations. Sure that's cool and all, but....

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Any news about potential recruits? We seem to be filling the void with war stories and equations. Sure that's cool and all, but....
June will be interesting - mid- to late- June.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
What happens in June? Backstreet Boys in Alpharetta? I'm outta the loop.
Schools can begin in-person recruiting again on June 1, 2021. That means they can start hosting athletes on official visits again. We have a bunch of big ones lined up and are expecting a decent number of commits in June. Perhaps some silent commits that we already have that are waiting for their OV to announce.

AmpuTECHture

Drain Lake Powell
Are there any Jacketsonline subscription promos going on? I feel like I should get back on there. Feel free to dm to not much up the thread.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
Are there any Jacketsonline subscription promos going on? I feel like I should get back on there. Feel free to dm to not much up the thread.
Promo code GT60 for a 60 day trial. (If that's still working.)

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Does Jerry Howard's transfer open up a spot or were we already counting on it

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
I think he would have been using his extra covid year and wouldn't have counted against the 85 had he stayed. But not 100 percent sure. He just committed to Towson but had been in the portal for a while, anyway.
Towson is nice. He should have a great time up there.