2024 Recruiting

The class is highly ranked now but don't get too high on that because we will not finish nearly that high. Not that it isn't a good recruiting class and we should still finish at a decent number, but we have nearly a full class now and there are many below us that do not, and we will likely get passed. For instance, here is how rivals rankings work: They give a point value for each player depending on his rating. Points for the top 20 rated players for each team are added up and that is the "team points total." Class ranking is based on that number. So anybody that currently has below 20 players in the '24 class, each time they get a new commit, their points will be added and they will jump in the rankings. Since we are at 20, we don't get any points added for each new commit, only the difference in points if it's a higher rated commit than one of our lowest. Say we get another 5.8 4-star player to commit, he will be added to the list and be counted in those top 20, but one of our 5.5 3-star players will no longer be counted, so the point increase isn't as much. I do expect a few of our recruits to get a ratings bump if they have good senior seasons, and I do expect a few more higher ranked commits, so our point value will increase, but currently we are sitting at 1508 points. A 5.8 player is worth 105 points and a 5.5 player is worth 60, so 45 point difference. If we add 2 more 5.8's, that would add 90 points. If say four of our current players get bumped up a level in rating (15 point difference between each rating), that would be another 60 points. So theoretically we may add 150 points to our total. We are looking at anywhere from the current 1508 points to 1658 points. In 2023 that would put us between 32nd and 42nd place. Also here are some teams behind us with much fewer commits very likely to pass us:

USC - 13
Ole Miss - 16
Arkansas - 13
A&M - 11
USCe - 13
FSU - 11
Miami - 13
Bama - 8
Oklahoma - 8
Auburn - 8
Mich State - 9
Texas - 7
UCLA - 8

I'm not sure what happened but recruiting is changing on a dime and I'm not sad about it :)

The class is highly ranked now but don't get too high on that because we will not finish nearly that high. Not that it isn't a good recruiting class and we should still finish at a decent number, but we have nearly a full class now and there are many below us that do not, and we will likely get passed. For instance, here is how rivals rankings work: They give a point value for each player depending on his rating. Points for the top 20 rated players for each team are added up and that is the "team points total." Class ranking is based on that number. So anybody that currently has below 20 players in the '24 class, each time they get a new commit, their points will be added and they will jump in the rankings. Since we are at 20, we don't get any points added for each new commit, only the difference in points if it's a higher rated commit than one of our lowest. Say we get another 5.8 4-star player to commit, he will be added to the list and be counted in those top 20, but one of our 5.5 3-star players will no longer be counted, so the point increase isn't as much. I do expect a few of our recruits to get a ratings bump if they have good senior seasons, and I do expect a few more higher ranked commits, so our point value will increase, but currently we are sitting at 1508 points. A 5.8 player is worth 105 points and a 5.5 player is worth 60, so 45 point difference. If we add 2 more 5.8's, that would add 90 points. If say four of our current players get bumped up a level in rating (15 point difference between each rating), that would be another 60 points. So theoretically we may add 150 points to our total. We are looking at anywhere from the current 1508 points to 1658 points. In 2023 that would put us between 32nd and 42nd place. Also here are some teams behind us with much fewer commits very likely to pass us:

USC - 13
Ole Miss - 16
Arkansas - 13
A&M - 11
USCe - 13
FSU - 11
Miami - 13
Bama - 8
Oklahoma - 8
Auburn - 8
Mich State - 9
Texas - 7
UCLA - 8

This is what I was referring to in my amidoingthisrite post above. In the past, at this point in the cycle, if CPJ had 14 recruits and Tech was rated in the 50s, the story/excuse was "yeah, but factories have more recruits, so we aren't that bad". Now that Tech has more good recruits than the factories at this stage the story flips to "yeah, but they will get more recruits and pass us, so it's not as great as it seems".

Given the uncertainty of "commitment" these days, I'll take more sooner as better.

This is what I was referring to in my amidoingthisrite post above. In the past, at this point in the cycle, if CPJ had 14 recruits and Tech was rated in the 50s, the story/excuse was "yeah, but factories have more recruits, so we aren't that bad". Now that Tech has more good recruits than the factories at this stage the story flips to "yeah, but they will get more recruits and pass us, so it's not as great as it seems".

Given the uncertainty of "commitment" these days, I'll take more sooner as better.
Agreed.

USC - 13
Ole Miss - 16
Arkansas - 13
A&M - 11
USCe - 13
FSU - 11
Miami - 13
Bama - 8
Oklahoma - 8
Auburn - 8
Mich State - 9
Texas - 7
UCLA - 8
good summary, thanks
247 works much the same.
the primary difference is that the 20 recruits are weighted with a gaussian distribution curve rather than the bonus points but it accomplishes the same purpose... 32nd to 42nd wouldn't be a bad spot, i'd settle for that

We won't hold all these guys, we won't finish this high, etc. - I agree.

We've had a dogshit football program since these kids were 6th graders, so this is progress. Georgia Tech in 2023 just can't recover from that overnight.

Hopefully these guys + the portal additions can help Key & Co get on track, show these recruits that they take football seriously, and keep building something.

If we can fill the rest of our defensive needs I think it would have been a great year so far. We know there are holes to fill from a secondary standpoint. Things will shake out in the coming weeks with several kids announcing.

A lot depends on how our season goes.If we do well ,the commitments will stand up probably.If not, , probably not so much.That is just todays recruiting market.

A mid-30’s rating would be an excellent class considering the on field results the past few years. Would love to see what that translates to for the 2025 class if CBK can bring home a 7+ win total this season.
That's likely where this ends up assuming no defections. Guessing in the 35ish range.

I think we are about to get another 4 star wide reciever
Its almost unthinkable.

The idea that we have such a strong class but instead of losing ground in the homestretch that we might actually gain ground.

Unthinkable. But I'm thinking about it.

Back