2024 Transfer Portal

Just another reason why I’m not giving any NIL money. I’ll give money to make sure these dudes have scholarships and housing and food, but it’s not my job to pay some post-adolescent narcissist to play football for my school. If I’m the reason the team’s not any good, then so be it - I’d rather spend that money enriching my own life than enriching some random player for very little return.

JRjr

Cool. Cool. Cool.

Just don't be coming here complaining when we can't compete with the big boys.

Cool. Cool. Cool.

Just don't be coming here complaining when we can't compete with the big boys.

Well, I’m also fine with staying in our weight class in (something like) the ACC and not trying to jump into the SEC and be Alabama.

JRjr

Well, I’m also fine with staying in our weight class in (something like) the ACC and not trying to jump into the SEC and be Alabama.

JRjr

You are fine with never ever contending for a Natty again?

Why don't you just hang it up then dude?

Because there’s more to enjoy about college football than just playing for a national championship.

Maybe this is why so many Tech fans are so miserable - instead of having fun with what we have, you don’t want anything but to be back in the SEC (because ESPN tells you that’s the only league that matters) and playing for national championships, two things that will almost certainly never happen.

JRjr

I hear you, JR, and largely agree. IMHO the only thing that's near certain going forward is that the CFB 'rules' as we know them today have to change. Almost has to happen to restore some semblance of competitive balance and retain fan interest.

Because there’s more to enjoy about college football than just playing for a national championship.

Maybe this is why so many Tech fans are so miserable - instead of having fun with what we have, you don’t want anything but to be back in the SEC (because ESPN tells you that’s the only league that matters) and playing for national championships, two things that will almost certainly never happen.

JRjr

You might be right. But, I remember after Coach Curry left for Alabama, because he was sure it would be impossible to win a national championship at Tech, a little man named Bobby Ross came to speak at the Columbus Georgia Tech club. After his speech, during the question and answer period, I asked him if he thought it was possible to win a national championship at Tech. He looked me straight in the eyes and said, "If I didn't, I wouldn't be here." Four seasons later, he did. I have been a Tech fan long enough to never say never. I do not know what the future holds, but I would never put it past Georgia Tech to do anything.

JRjr

Good post but I will say that the potential chasm between us and the big boys has grown wider. All I ask is that I think we can rise up a la 1990 and have many 7/6 years and some 11-2.

You might be right. But, I remember after Coach Curry left for Alabama, because he was sure it would be impossible to win a national championship at Tech, a little man named Bobby Ross came to speak at the Columbus Georgia Tech club. After his speech, during the question and answer period, I asked him if he thought it was possible to win a national championship at Tech. He looked me straight in the eyes and said, "If I didn't, I wouldn't be here." Four seasons later, he did. I have been a Tech fan long enough to never say never. I do not know what the future holds, but I would never put it past Georgia Tech to do anything.

Bobby Dodd counseled Curry to make that move to Alabama. Dodd felt 'The Hill' would never admit the type of athletes necessary to compete successfully at Tech. Ross proved Dodd wrong.

May have been true in the 90's but winter in the US is just like a few weeks now most places

They film all the snowy Christmas Hallmark movies in Canada

You know what else is weird? Five of the 10 hottest winters have been in election years.

Since global warming has been a thing, say 1984-present, the election year tread is accelerating as 4 of the 5 hottest years have been aligned with the election cycle.

You know what else is weird? Five of the 10 hottest winters have been in election years.

Since global warming has been a thing, say 1984-present, the election year tread is accelerating as 4 of the 5 hottest years have been aligned with the election cycle.
Probably some scientists with a political agenda. All I know is it's self-obviously warmer than it used to be, and winters are milder than they used to be.

Back