3-3. Improvement.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I admit in advance that I have not read every post-game post.

But after watching the replay, if Duke doesn't hold, JD makes the tackle in the backfield.

All the comments that "if Duke doesn't hold, they win" are flat wrong.

And when we got the ball, we weren't looking not to lose (play for a FG) - we were looking to win. Rather than play for a first down, we played for the win and got it.

I'm disappointed that more folks aren't giving the staff more credit for this.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
So was everyone. And then Duke was good when they had a couple NFL QB’s and WR. Now they aren’t anymore.
Duke is 4-14 against Miami.
Duke has beaten Clemson 3 out of the last 20 tries, has lost 5 IAR against them and is 1 out of the last 11
Duke is 3-17 against VT since VT joined the ACC.

Duke beat us because Duke could beat the 3-O

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
Of Tech's nine wins in Collins' tenure, this was the first in which the Jackets came from behind to win in the final five minutes of regulation. 3-3 at the break is great!

We need 3 wins the rest of the way after the bye (UVA, VT, Miami, BC, ND, UGA) not sure if Collins can get his first B2B win against Virginia, but if we do we have a great chance at Bowling. Go Jackets.
We’re counting the bye week as a loss, so we’ll win the UVA game.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
I’m not seeing it. UVA and VPI are both much better than Duke and have good coaching staffs. They will be able to run and hang with us. I will root for a win but they will be surprising to me. We really were very close to losing this game badly, we are more like Kansas than UNC.
Sagarin rankings today:

Boston College #46 (74.70)
Miami #50 (74.37)
UVA #53 (73.99)
VT #54 (73.92)
GT #61 (71.95)

All differences around the home-field advantage listed (2.55).

ESPN FPI has us basically even with VT, BC and UVA:

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
I
Sagarin rankings today:

Boston College #46 (74.70)
Miami #50 (74.37)
UVA #53 (73.99)
VT #54 (73.92)
GT #61 (71.95)

All differences around the home-field advantage listed (2.55).

ESPN FPI has us basically even with VT, BC and UVA:
I do not trust FPI as it incorporates recruiting way too much.

Sagarin rating is a little surprising but I would not bet on GT winning any of those games. We will not likely be favored or a toss-up in any of them without some kind of signal that we can be consistently good.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
I

I do not trust FPI as it incorporates recruiting way too much.

Sagarin rating is a little surprising but I would not bet on GT winning any of those games. We will not likely be favored or a toss-up in any of them without some kind of signal that we can be consistently good.
Yeah, that's why I said "about even", which is basically a line that is small one way or another. I figured maybe favored against uva, but it's not a home game, so it's not likely looking at the Sagarin numbers.

GTCrew4b

Duke is 4-14 against Miami.
Duke has beaten Clemson 3 out of the last 20 tries, has lost 5 IAR against them and is 1 out of the last 11
Duke is 3-17 against VT since VT joined the ACC.

Duke beat us because Duke could beat the 3-O
Miami is 5-3 against Duke since 2013. One of those wins was fake and the refs suspended. So they should be 4-4.

Clemson played Duke once since 2013.

All of Dukes wins against VPI have happened starting in 2013. With Duke taking a 1-point loss in 2014 when Duke was Ranked and pretty good and had a couple missed FG’s and another 3-point Duke loss following a blocked FG TD. VPI definitely has their number along with a lot of teams in the Coastal.

GTCrew4b

Yeah, that's why I said "about even", which is basically a line that is small one way or another. I figured maybe favored against uva, but it's not a home game, so it's not likely looking at the Sagarin numbers.
Curiously if you’ll oblige where is Duke?

-EDIT-

looks like Duke is about 100 which is about where I would put us and where we have finished each year under Collins.

Last edited:

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Throw in the kind of variance these teams have shown in their play and anything could happen. Also VT and BC will be interesting to track cause both of em have only played 1 conference game so far.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Miami is 5-3 against Duke since 2013. One of those wins was fake and the refs suspended. So they should be 4-4.

Clemson played Duke once since 2013.

All of Dukes wins against VPI have happened starting in 2013. With Duke taking a 1-point loss in 2014 when Duke was Ranked and pretty good and had a couple missed FG’s and another 3-point Duke loss following a blocked FG TD. VPI definitely has their number along with a lot of teams in the Coastal.
Are you seriously trying to convince me that we wouldn't have kept rolling damn Duke had we stayed the course with pro style offenses? We were getting defenders Duke couldn't get. We got Calvin and Demaryous under Chan. We got Dwyer and Nesbitt because of Chan.