36 YEARS

Bud Carson took over to replace Boddy Dodd as head football coach at Georgia Tech? No wait. You're talking about 1967, the year I was born.
wink.gif

Remember it well BC taking over and to me one of the worst coaches Tech ever had.

1/1/1967. Last time we were in a major bowl. Citrus, Peach, Sun, Gator. No that don't cut it.

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
Remember it well BC taking over and to me one of the worst coaches Tech ever had.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oldfoggy,

IIRC, Bud Carson was handpicked by Bobbie Dodd, and left Tech with an overall winning record. After Tech he did quite well in the NFL; Pittsburg and Cleveland come to mind.

I can think of a few sense BC who left the program in worse shape.

Why the tar and feathers??

Tech was playing a fairly good schedule (including some pretty good Ara Parsegian coached Notre Dame teams) and the overall talent level was a little down during Carson's tenure. The '70 team was a good one as well as some other highlights/players under Carson. Also, the '71 night game against UGAg at Grant Field (Thanksgiving?) was one to remember even though we lost at the end 28-24.

Bud Carson was one of those coaches who was great as a defensive coach. He proved that everywhere he worked, even at Tech.

He had no imagination as an offensive coach. His offense was, "hand the ball off to Brent Cunningham".

I would rate him a C+ or B- as a head coach.

wink.gif

OK 71b, here's what I really think of BC. Bobby Dodd his last year had us something like 9-1 with an Orange bowl, BC took over with a well, very well in fact stocked team. What happen immediately(sp) we went 4-6. As far a defense went. I saw the Tech Miami game a year or so later we were wupped pretty good and not by a great but just a good Miami team somethink like 30 odd to 6 maybe 7. The only good game I ever saw him coach was the day we beat the mongrel don't remember the score but it was like 13-6, 7-0 like I say don't remember the score. His over all record was like 25-24 in his 5 years and I consider it the beginning of the end of great Tech football.

My rating for him as a coach was maybe a D- to F

Folks, if memory serves me well; I believe Fulcher took over for the 70 season and took us to 3 straight bowls. I think Cunningham played in that era.

Boy howdy!! That was along time ago
tongue.gif
my memories only go back to bout 84 or so.
pat.gif

I'm only 30 and it amazes me how some of ya'll can keep all that info in your heads like that! I have a hard time remembering who played QB in 87!
pat.gif
oh well
drinking.gif
glad I have ya'll to remind me!!

Originally posted by techrod:
Folks, if memory serves me well; I believe Fulcher took over for the 70 season and took us to 3 straight bowls. I think Cunningham played in that era.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">techrod,

It was Bud Carson 1967 thru 1971 Fulcher was 1972 thru 1973....

Oldfoggy,

Football under Bud Carson was not very exciting, but remember Kim King was injured in the 67 season (after winning the first three games). This did have a big impact on the season's outcome.

Not trying to pin a medal on Coach Carson, just don't think the donkey ears are deserved either.
wink.gif

Like I said his record was something like 25-24. Of the home games I probably saw about 3/4 of them and some away games. We have complained mightly about a 7-5 record by CCG. Most years under Carson I would have been pleased to see 7-5. I hear how great his defenses were but I saw several games (really don't remember them all) where the opponents scored more than 30 on us. That was in a time that 28 points scored was a real whupping. I think a lot of people remember his sucess as a DC in the pro's and relate that back to Tech. He was sure no wonder coach here. To me he was the beginning of the end of great Tech football.

That was yesterday we must think of the days to come and support Tech and it's coaches.

OldFoggy, when Carson was strictly a defensive coordinator under Dodd, he had some of the best defenses Tech has enjoyed.

I am not talking about the defense of the team while he was the head coach. No, his defense was not as good as a head coach, nor did his offense have any imagination.

I would attribute any deficiencies of the defense, while he was the head coach, to the fact he was not the defensive coordinator and did not call all the defensive formations during the game.

However, when he was strictly a defensive coordinator at Tech and in the pros, he was one of the best.

It has happened many times. A great defensive or offensive coordinator is promoted to head coach and can not cut it as a head coach. His inability as a head coach has nothing to do with his talents of being a defensive coordinator.

Bud Carson was defensive coordinator back when I had season tickets and attended the Tech games. He was superb as a defensive coordinator and I followed him after he went to Pittsburg. Pittsburg was the toughest team in the NFL on defense after Carson became their defensive coordinator.

I did not like him as a head coach. His forte was as a defensive coordinator. I try to be fair, so I have to defend his status as a defensive coordinator, while admitting he was not a great head coach.

wink.gif

Catjacket, no I could never forget 91 and I was at the Citrus. But that is not the Orange, Sugar, Cotton, or I suppose now, the Fiesta. Heck uvag, who we knocked out of #1 that year got to go to the Sugar. It has been WAAYYY too long.

Texstinger brings up a good point. Even though we have won (or tied for two conference titles) and split a national title, we have not played in a major bowl in, I guess, 36 years. That is not indicative of a major college program. From the looks of it, we are no better than our first opponent, BYU.

Carson was a hell of a defensive coach, but mediocre offensively and not much inspirational leadership. He beat UGAg 6-0 in '69 and I want to say 17-7 in '70 without looking it up. None of his teams had the talent to compete with top 10 teams. Dodd left the cupboard pretty bare and knew when to move to the front office.

Dodd couldn't cope that well when the colleges went pro in the mid 60's. His integrity wouldn't let him do the things other teams were doing to get players. What changed in the early to mid 60's that made college football "go pro". Television.

Texstinger mentions Orange, Sugar, Cotton and now, Fiesta, as the major bowls. It's been almost a decade since the Cotton was considered a major bowl, although it's still played on NYD. But by those standards, the Gator is a major bowl!

36 is a misleading number; it's been 3 years since we played in a NYD bowl, and 12 seasons ('90 team and '91 bowl) since we played for -- AND WON -- the national championship.

I know, I know: it's just semantics. But it shows me how easily something can be spun negatively versus positively. And having been to several Cotton and two Gator bowls, give me the Gator any day!

Agree Ahso, but we are speaking of Carson as HC. Prior to BC I remember BD putting some of the best defensive teams on the field that I have ever seen even to this day. I do remember Kim going down in the 4th (maybe 5th) game and we also lost our 2nd qb and as I recall we also lost our 3rd QB. Sure that hurt the team but what about the following years? Ahso, someone refresh my memory wasn't it a game against Aubum that Kim went down?

Back