36 YEARS

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
It has happened many times. A great defensive or offensive coordinator is promoted to head coach and can not cut it as a head coach.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Carson is one of the greatest examples of this of all time. He was an excellent football coach but you'd hardly know it by his HC years at Tech.

I think it's fair to say, texstinger, that we have different expectations of Tech football. While I believe that Tech will win another national championship, I think it is unrealistic to expect to contend every year. Let me give you some data to back up my viewpoint.

Last year 8 bowls were played on or after NYD: Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange (the 4 "BIG" bowls over the last decade), Cotton, Outback, Gator and Capitol One (the 4 "LITTLE" NYD bowls). These 8 bowls have traditionally been played on or after NYD for the past decade. That's 80 games, 160 slots. 48 teams have filled those 160 slots.

Two teams have been in a NYD bowl for 10 straight years: Florida (7 BIG, 3 LITTLE) and FSU (9 and 1).

One team has been in a NYD bowl for 9-of-10 years: Tennessee (3 and 6).

Two teams have been in a NYD bowl for 8-of-10 years: Michigan (2 and 6) and Ohio State (4 and 4).

Three teams have been in a NYD bowl for 7-of-10 years: Nebraska (7 and 0), Penn State (2 and 5), and Virginia Tech (3 and 4).

Two teams have been in a NYD bowl for 6-of-10 years: Miami (5 and 1) and Notre Dame (3 and 3).

Two teams have been in a NYD bowl for 5-of-10 years: Texas (2 and 3) and Wisconsin (3 and 2).

One team has been in a NYD bowl for 4-of-10 years: Alabama (1 and 3).

Twelve teams have been in a NYD bowl for 3-of-10 years: Arkansas, Auburn, Colorado, Georgia, Kansas State, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Syracuse, Texas A&M, USC and UCLA. There's 15 BIG bowls to this group's credit versus 21 LITTLE bowls.

Of course we know GT has been to 2 LITTLE NYD bowls. That means that only 25 teams have been to more NYD games in the past decade. I wish we could go every year, but the schools above us in this category are, for the most part, large state universities whose football players don't have to take calculus!

Some might think I'm a pessamist, but I think I'm a realist!

Well, Catjacket, let me say this about that. 3 years since a NYD bowl is WAAYYY too long IMHO.

Back