7-year contract

It’s about money and buyout. 7 year over 5 year isn’t necessarily bad just because of 2 more years.

Which would you prefer?

5 year $15M
7 year $18M

With that extra average per year “savings” going elsewhere (coaches or admin staff).
I like your position. Ideally we need to be outspending in the assistant coaches category. It’s a trend that has worked for Clemson. We need to have the best coordinators in the game.

7 years is insane for a proven coach much less an unproven one. Maybe next time we can add an automatic rollover. What can go wrong?

The amount of years mean nothing without buyout and yearly salary brought into the equation. You can't just look at number of years and say that's bad.

Not all X year contracts are created equally.

The 7 year contract is a signal to Collins that Tech is both excited for and confident in him, but is also forgiving for the next 1-2 years considering the state of the roster.

The amount of years mean nothing without buyout and yearly salary brought into the equation. You can't just look at number of years and say that's bad.

Not all X year contracts are created equally.

We already know the yearly salary. It's in the vicinity of 3 million. A 7 year contract at that salary is extremely generous for someone with only 2 years of head coaching experience.

Just to öööö with Clemson, we should line up in wishbone and run the triple option for the first play of the game. Then we can go back to our new offense.

I was thinking the same thing. Just have a package for the RS Srs offensive players that is the midline. Run it once or twice in the spring game so Clemson has to waste practice time over the summer.

We already know the yearly salary. It's in the vicinity of 3 million. A 7 year contract at that salary is extremely generous for someone with only 2 years of head coaching experience.
I saw 7 years at $18.5. That’s not in the vicinity of 3.

I know everyone makes fun of Butch Jones, but Tennessee was a wreck when he got there and he really only had 4 years. He could be a good coach for someone, somewhere.

We basically just hired pre-UT Butch Jones. Not a bad thing, hopefully we see more success as far as gameday coaching goes.

You’re an idiot. You don’t know the details of the buyout even.

What if the buyout is a bag of skittles?

Again, the number of years is irrelevant to judging it without average annual salary and buyout terms part of the equation.

Last edited:
You’re an idiot. You don’t know the details of the buyout even.

What if the buyout is a bag of skittles?

Again, the number of years is irrelevant to judging it without average annual salary and buyout terms part of the equation.

I didn't say I had the details. But we have enough info to speculate, which is basically what people do on message boards, dip öööö.

The other factor is that a 7 year contract has benefits as well, because if CGC does work out, we will need to renegotiate the contract after year 4, and not year 3, which means we pay him his current salary an additional year, instead of the newer higher salary we would have to pay with the new contract.
That's not how it works. If he's a big hit, we'll increase his pay immediately and frequently. CPJ's initial contract was for seven years, and it was revised upwards (significantly) after 2008 and after 2009. What causes renegotiation is the same thing that happens in other industries – the employee gets a better offer elsewhere and you pay him more to keep him.

I hope we have reason to make CGC the highest paid coach in America. w

That's not how it works. If he's a big hit, we'll increase his pay immediately and frequently. CPJ's initial contract was for seven years, and it was revised upwards (significantly) after 2008 and after 2009. What causes renegotiation is the same thing that happens in other industries – the employee gets a better offer elsewhere and you pay him more to keep him.

I hope we have reason to make CGC the highest paid coach in America. w
If he’s a big hit and he increases his contract immediately, whether it’s a 5 year or a 7 year contract still doesn’t matter then. Sure we may not get that slight marginal benefit, but the length of the contract being 7 years doesn’t hurt us.

Back