A few major tasks to improve our offense

This is my understanding. I would add we aren’t ready to drop back in 5/7 step drops consistently.

As for playcalling, we really need to be ahead on downs if we are looking to win. One of the main battles we need to win to win the game.
Exactly. For evidence, look to Florida State before Jimbo left. Their OL was horrible and everyone knew it, but he insisted on running 5 and 7 step drops and long-developing play-action because that's what he wanted to do. It didn't work. Their offense was pathetic and their QBs got absolutely destroyed.

We are currently patchworking our offense together. The key to it having regular success is a few simple things

1. You got good running backs and got to have a good balance of short passes and carries
2. You got to get something out of you oline in passing block and do things that help alleviate some of shortcoming in your pass blocking and limit holding calls so short passes, solid running, and then some play action shots mixed in to keep people honest
3. You got to go with QB that is decisive even if it means throwing it away a QB that holds on to the ball will just put us in holes which this offense cant recover from right now.

So long story short we still need more run/pass balance we need to let are RB put us in those 3rd and 3 situations to convert and Graham for most part seemed comfortable and looked the part so got to roll with whoever shakes out LJ didnt get much of a look, Oliver maybe was in by design but to me just was reacting timidly at times that 4th down endzone play for example bonehead flip when if he just tucked it had much better shot at getting in endzone. The oline wont have to face the likes of Clemson dline going forward it should help them at least in pass blocking some to be against closer talent gap as well.
Oliver is a solid QB. He needs some help from the OL.

Oliver is a solid QB. He needs some help from the OL.

How do you define solid?

To help us understand your definition of solid, please rank TO among all the QBs in P5+ND & BYU, roughly 70 FBS QBs

I have a number in my head where I'd rank him, but since you categorized him as solid , I'll wait for your ranking

Thanks in advance

Among the P5+ ND & BYU, you rank TO as the 7th best QB?

Ummm OK

banhammermighty.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you define solid?

To help us understand your definition of solid, please rank TO among all the QBs in P5+ND & BYU, roughly 70 FBS QBs

I have a number in my head where I'd rank him, but since you categorized him as solid , I'll wait for your ranking

Thanks in advance
He would be in the top half if his OL was in the top half--- it's not.

This is my understanding. I would add we aren’t ready to drop back in 5/7 step drops consistently.

As for playcalling, we really need to be ahead on downs if we are looking to win. One of the main battles we need to win to win the game.

Thats my opinion a good running game will help be key to getting most out of passing game and its current limitations
Luckily the running backs are the least of my concerns on offense.

How do you define solid?

Thanks in advance

I'll play and it's actually worse then that... your not even considering the 2nd string qbs which for many programs are highly ranked underclassmen or solid upper classmen. So lets for easy make that #140
Of which i would argue oliver probably 100-110 range in my opinion simply because of atlethic ability he is lacking in the qb department. Graham is probably around 85 imo.

Playing Clemson the first game only makes us better.
I've been thinking this way a lot since Thursday. We had the best team in the nation test all our changes and new installations on offense and defense. I'm sure we we've got a ton of good tape that can show us very clearly where we need to do differently moving forward. Plus, this game was almost a certain loss no matter what this year, so we were able to get it over with as soon as possible.

Thats my opinion a good running game will help be key to getting most out of passing game and its current limitations
Luckily the running backs are the least of my concerns on offense.
I reawatched the game last night, we we were actually able to get into 3rd &5 or closer a good amount of the time with our running game.

I'll play and it's actually worse then that... your not even considering the 2nd string qbs which for many programs are highly ranked underclassmen or solid upper classmen. So lets for easy make that #140
Of which i would argue oliver probably 100-110 range in my opinion simply because of atlethic ability he is lacking in the qb department. Graham is probably around 85 imo.
Are we ranking him as a QB or as a passer? Dude rushed for nearly 1000 yards last year despite not starting most of the season, so #100+ is ridiculous.

It's hard for me to really judge him against the rest of the country, but of the 8 starting quarterbacks we've had since Gailey took over in 2002, I'd probably rank him 5th or possibly 6th. Graham has a higher ceiling, but it's pretty silly to rank him higher at this point based on completing 4 passes.

Yeah, I don't think there are any takeaways from this game on offense.

Maybe: Oliver is a good running QB (already knew that)
Mason runs hard

Everything else is an unknown or work in progress.

My personal takeaway: The transition to a passing offense is going to be more difficult that many of us hoped. Reading between the lines of coach speak, we basically had to train OL, QBs, WR on stuff they should have learned in High school or during their freshmen season; instead it was for every position player on the offensive roster. Means you can't work on the more complex stuff because you had to reinforce and explain the basic concepts. You can not refine QB decision making because he is trying to master the basic stuff. College football has simplified offensive concepts over the last 10 years but if they are foreign to you (as it is to the GT roster) then it is as much steeper learning curve.

Oliver out of high school came from a triple option offense and Graham was higher rated by a good bit and we are no longer triple option team so judging a Qb now factors in more then throwing deep every once in awhile and being able to read a handoff and run well. I say poise out of Graham and well delivered passes. I've seen oliver and he just doesn't look comfortable doing anything in the pocket other then running and this oline blocks too poorly to think you can strecth plays or get cute in the short window i saw Graham seemed more poised

Yeah, I don't think there are any takeaways from this game on offense.

Maybe: Oliver is a good running QB (already knew that)
Mason runs hard

Everything else is an unknown or work in progress.

My personal takeaway: The transition to a passing offense is going to be more difficult that many of us hoped. Reading between the lines of coach speak, we basically had to train OL, QBs, WR on stuff they should have learned in High school or during their freshmen season; instead it was for every position player on the offensive roster. Means you can't work on the more complex stuff because you had to reinforce and explain the basic concepts. You can not refine QB decision making because he is trying to master the basic stuff. College football has simplified offensive concepts over the last 10 years but if they are foreign to you (as it is to the GT roster) then it is as much steeper learning curve.

Don't hate me

I couldn't resist

But don't all our players have to take a yr of Calculus and a yr of Lab Science?

Something rudimentary like American FB should be a piece of cake for our guys, especially after 9 months

Before everyone gets their panties in a wad, this is known as a tounge-in-cheek remark

This. I am going to think the offense we saw against Clemson was specific for Clemson and not what we will see the rest of the season.

Also, we certainly didn't believe that the entire playbook would be opened up the first week did we?

Back