A Few Rambling About Our Team And Recruiting....

What I find interesting is your willingness to bury your head in the sand, figuratively speaking. You claim this statistic as an indicator we're a good offense despite all the evidence to the contrary and, when it's exposed that you're wrong, you make posts like the above. So, here goes:

You're wrong. We didn't play poorly. We played exactly to our capabilities. Playing poorly would be fumbling the ball. We are a poor offense which relies too heavily on executing 3 to 4 plays perfectly to get first downs against average or better defenses. Over the course of a full series, the margin of error is too small to expect consistent success especially against better teams. The result is our statistics are inflated against the poor teams on our schedule and our deviation when facing good teams is more exaggerated than the oversimplified statistics would suggest. At the end of the day, the same statistics you've used to argue that we're a good offense will still say that we are after today. Maybe not as good, but still top 25 in those categories. So, do you still believe we're a top 25 offense?

Georgia has a good defense. It is made better when their O is eating clock and scoring. Our performance today would put us about #2 in the sec east, just like the acc coastal.

We need to get better, but those stats are on the field results.

I don’t know that cpj can get us to a consistent top 25 team. That is about our ceiling where George O’Leary + Ralph had us.

This thread is as good as any for my thoughts after attending the disaster in the cesspool:

We are falling behind in every way imaginable and the gap is getting bigger. It may seem pedantic, but the season long bitching about our PA and General game environment is a big part we need to improve and need to do it ASAP. The gameday at uga is a finely scripted stage performance and it’s impressive. They are using everything in that stadium to create an environment for success and maximum disruption for the other team. Their fans feed off it. Their team feeds off it.

Meanwhile, we can’t even get our PA working half the time and when it does, we are doing stupid öööö like a kids cam with YMCA, Sweet Caroline and Vanessa ööööing Carlson. Our environment sucks in large part due to the disjointed, halfassed production.

On a football front, there isn’t much to say other than recruiting sucks, coaching sucks, gameplans suck, and the execution/players suck. It feels like when we win, it’s because we trick them. We don’t man up and actually beat people. On the other hand, it feels like we are getting our asses stomped more and more frequently.

I finally got tired of what I saw and left at the end of the 3rd. It was weird sitting there and hearing everyone around me ridiculing our coach and not the usual nerds stuff. The worst part was that there was no retort because everything they were saying was pretty accurate.

Just a ööööty day all around.

This 100%. Sad, but there are a lot of things we could do that do not even cost money. We should steal ideas from their game day /stadium management. No excuse.

UVA, Duke?

Louisville, VT, Miami? You can't just take the bad performances.

Advanced stats help get around BS. Either side can cherry-pick all day otherwise. At least advanced stats try to be predictive and account for our offense generally taking more time off the clock. Offensive FEI was at #12, but offensive S&P+ is at #28. So the offense may be border-line top 25.

I like the TO, but it's also not going to generate miracles. If we weren't running the TO, everyone would say the defense was the big problem. Defense is #100 in S&P+ and #93 in FEI.

The HC would also rightly be blamed for the defense and CPJ's biggest issue is consistently on defense. I'm pretty unsure about CPJ, but it's not because of the offensive scheme.

We had two against their third string. Not exactly an accomplishment.

But still better than the teams mentioned.

The question is, how are we going to pull ahead of Tennessee, Auburn, and SC. Because those teams are stuck at the same level we are. Auburn a little ahead, uSC and UT behind.

We aren’t going to get more money, more fans, or easier majors than those three.

This is exactly why I hate the internet. This bullshit tit-for-tat that masquerades as discussion. I wish I had real people to talk to. Do you really care what I think about your post? I doubt it. But here you go, if you do. (This is giving me leviathan shivers. Creepy.)
What I find interesting is your willingness to bury your head in the sand, figuratively speaking.
I don't know what this means.
You claim this statistic as an indicator we're a good offense despite all the evidence to the contrary and, when it's exposed that you're wrong, you make posts like the above.
I think we played great in several games this year. Granted, it was mainly in games we won, which I realize means nobody cares. But I enjoyed those games, and I think we played well. And I think our offense has been pretty good this year. I'm less bothered by the fact that we lost today (I think we all expected that, in our hearts) and more bothered by how we lost.

We didn't get outmanned on every play. We missed reads, missed blocks, and lollygagged around the bases for much of they day.

For everyone saying the guys didn't give up... I think once we got behind significantly – really, when they were scoring so very easily – the wind went out of our sails. We lost energy and focus. That's totally on the coach, IMHO, and has nothing to do with scheme at all.
You're wrong. We didn't play poorly.
No, you're wrong. We did play poorly. (The internet is awesome.)
We played exactly to our capabilities.
I don't know what this means. Apparently you use the word "capabilities" differently than I do.
Playing poorly would be fumbling the ball.
Playing poorly would also be missing reads, missing blocks, not shedding tackles, etc. What a strange thing to be arguing about.
We are a poor offense which relies too heavily on executing 3 to 4 plays perfectly to get first downs against average or better defenses.
I don't believe you know enough about CPJ's schemes to know what you're looking at. I certainly don't.
Over the course of a full series, the margin of error is too small to expect consistent success especially against better teams.
It is always impossible to expect consistent success against better teams. That's what makes them better teams. (Unless you're Nick Saban, obvs. There are no better teams when compared to any Nick Saban team.)
The result is our statistics are inflated against the poor teams on our schedule and our deviation when facing good teams is more exaggerated than the oversimplified statistics would suggest.
Of course all statistics omit something. There's no number which perfectly captures all there is to know about a team. But 'oversimplified' stats are things like total yards and points scored, which do not account for strength of opponent, number of possessions, etc. The whole point of footballoutsiders is that they try to come up with stats that take such things into consideration, to give you more useful numbers. I don't know if their methodology is proprietary, but I certainly don't have the energy to figure it out. But I do know one of their stats specifically takes into account strength of opponent defense, to minimize the variability you lament. If you don't like their stat, that's fine. Come up with some others and explain why they're better. Or just keep relying on the ol' eye test, if you want.
At the end of the day, the same statistics you've used to argue that we're a good offense will still say that we are after today. Maybe not as good, but still top 25 in those categories. So, do you still believe we're a top 25 offense?
Sure, why not? You think a top 25 offense *just wouldn't* have a game like today? I can show you plenty that do.

Louisville, VT, Miami? You can't just take the bad performances.

Advanced stats help get around BS. Either side can cherry-pick all day otherwise. At least advanced stats try to be predictive and account for our offense generally taking more time off the clock. Offensive FEI was at #12, but offensive S&P+ is at #28. So the offense may be border-line top 25.

I like the TO, but it's also not going to generate miracles. If we weren't running the TO, everyone would say the defense was the big problem. Defense is #100 in S&P+ and #93 in FEI.

The HC would also rightly be blamed for the defense and CPJ's biggest issue is consistently on defense. I'm pretty unsure about CPJ, but it's not because of the offensive scheme.
The danger in using these statistics is that they're a flawed measure. Ultimately, wins and losses are the only statistic that matters. Everything else is asinine for reasons I've already stated.

This is exactly why I hate the internet. This bullshit tit-for-tat that masquerades as discussion. I wish I had real people to talk to. Do you really care what I think about your post? I doubt it. But here you go, if you do. (This is giving me leviathan shivers. Creepy.)

I don't know what this means.

I think we played great in several games this year. Granted, it was mainly in games we won, which I realize means nobody cares. But I enjoyed those games, and I think we played well. And I think our offense has been pretty good this year. I'm less bothered by the fact that we lost today (I think we all expected that, in our hearts) and more bothered by how we lost.

We didn't get outmanned on every play. We missed reads, missed blocks, and lollygagged around the bases for much of they day.

For everyone saying the guys didn't give up... I think once we got behind significantly – really, when they were scoring so very easily – the wind went out of our sails. We lost energy and focus. That's totally on the coach, IMHO, and has nothing to do with scheme at all.

No, you're wrong. We did play poorly. (The internet is awesome.)

I don't know what this means. Apparently you use the word "capabilities" differently than I do.

Playing poorly would also be missing reads, missing blocks, not shedding tackles, etc. What a strange thing to be arguing about.

I don't believe you know enough about CPJ's schemes to know what you're looking at. I certainly don't.

It is always impossible to expect consistent success against better teams. That's what makes them better teams. (Unless you're Nick Saban, obvs. There are no better teams when compared to any Nick Saban team.)

Of course all statistics omit something. There's no number which perfectly captures all there is to know about a team. But 'oversimplified' stats are things like total yards and points scored, which do not account for strength of opponent, number of possessions, etc. The whole point of footballoutsiders is that they try to come up with stats that take such things into consideration, to give you more useful numbers. I don't know if their methodology is proprietary, but I certainly don't have the energy to figure it out. But I do know one of their stats specifically takes into account strength of opponent defense, to minimize the variability you lament. If you don't like their stat, that's fine. Come up with some others and explain why they're better. Or just keep relying on the ol' eye test, if you want.

Sure, why not? You think a top 25 offense *just wouldn't* have a game like today? I can show you plenty that do.
I can say with confidence, based on your posting history, that you know less about football than the average person on this board. Just another nerd trying to search for meaning because they lack understanding. I wish you had real people to talk to as well, it must be lonely.

I can say with confidence, based on your posting history, that you know less about football than the average person on this board. Just another nerd trying to search for meaning because they lack understanding.
I didn't think you cared what I thought. I'm not sure why I typed all that. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I'm typing this. Oh wait, here's the answer right in front of me: because I'm a nerd trying to search for meaning because I lack understanding.

The danger in using these statistics is that they're a flawed measure. Ultimately, wins and losses are the only statistic that matters. Everything else is asinine for reasons I've already stated.

Our wins and losses include both the offense and defense. The 7-5 record doesn't argue against having an okay, borderline top 25 offense and a terrible defense.

I didn't think you cared what I thought. I'm not sure why I typed all that. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I'm typing this. Oh wait, here's the answer right in front of me: because I'm a nerd trying to search for meaning because I lack understanding.
Can we still be friends?

Our wins and losses include both the offense and defense. The 7-5 record doesn't argue against having an okay, borderline top 25 offense and a terrible defense.
We do not have a top 25 offense. We have an offense with inflated stats against bad teams and a bad defense with flashes of mediocrity.

Assume that I'm stupid, which you probably already assume. Why is this facepalm-worthy?
Because they're not predictive measures...they don't take into account anything that would be necessary to be predictive of future success such as matchups, the way in which the yards were gained, the relative tendencies of the teams on which the yards were gained, the correlation between yards/first downs/points, propensity to sustain drives, the list goes on. I'll repeat, it's an asinine measure that has a tendency of over predicting our success against teams with good athletes.

Literally no one is arguing that we should move the ball at will against UGA like we do against BGSU, but the football outsider measures don't explain why we didn't move the ball against UGA this year, but did in previous seasons with comparable rankings for our offense and their defense. In order to explain that, it requires understanding schemes, being able to look at tape, and ultimately being able to do more than look at a statistic and draw broad conclusions. OFEI doesn't win games.

Furthermore, just in case this is a common misconception, missing blocks and reads isn't necessarily an indicator of us "playing poorly." That's more often an indicator of a talent mismatch.

Back