A HOUSE DIVIDED!!!

Like I say the house is divided. No one could win under these circumstances!

Originally posted by hiveredtech:
Techrod...the house is not divided.

These boards are the fringe group of Tech fans and supporters.

I would bet 95% of Tech season ticket holders would not want Gailey fired...and I am one of them. Fact is...we met the expectations of the pre-season "experts".

Also...we have a serious graduation rate problem to go after as well...and the Tech alums want to see that fixed, keep the program clean...and win football games. So...you are not going to see Tech fire a coach that will run a clean program and take us to a bowl...particularly in their first year.

He deserves a few years to see if we can hit the top tier of bowls while running a clean program that graduates players.

Frankly, if we can be clean, graduate players, win 7 or 8 games per year while going to a BCS bowl every 5-10 years then I think we have overachieved for our institute. This is not thinking mediocre...I just put us in the league with the academic schools when comparing.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree that this is a fringe element of vocal supporters who come to this message board to discuss GT athletics. However, just as many of the 'mainstream' supporters of GT football are upset as those of us on this board. Look at the nbr of boo birds during the Wake game for example. It was a hell of a lot more than 5%.

Gtmg, I think there is less than 8,000 fans on both the Hive and Stingtalk together.

This does not represent anywhere near the rabid fans of GT. These boards represent only the fans who are interested in computer use and care to visit the boards.

It is well known, I am from way back and have many Tech friends from the same era. I would say 90 percent of the older fans do not use the computer nor visit the boards. I would also think most of the oldtimers, like myself, who were accustomed to winning under Bobby Dodd, do not have the same views as present day fans.

Many present day fans are satisfied with just a winning season and beating UGA every once in a while. Not so with us older fans. We owned UGA and had a winning advantage on them until Dooley arrived there. We were accustomed to losing very few games, winning most bowl games, and being in the top 20 most of the time.

Most of those older fans and many of the football players from that era do not like to lose at all. Many of the fans and ex-players from that era have become well entrenched in the business world and are huge contributors to Tech football.

We won many more championships and games when we were in the SEC than in the ACC. Dodd did not get the same kind of athletes as the other ACC schools, yet he beat most of them handily. Why, pure and simple, because of coaching.

Ross beat the other teams in the ACC, because of coaching. However, the point has been made, Friegden was his offensive coordinator. We also beat UGA three straight years with Friegden as O'Leary's offensive coordinator.

So, I think the fringe of fans is on the board. Most of the Tech fans never visit the board. Hordes of them do not even know it exists. The majority of Tech fans are not on the boards.

It is clear to most of the fans from yesteryear, it is the coaching that makes the difference. We have always gotten our share of the players, and with good coaches, we have won over the years.

Good coaching will always overcome less talent. We can win with the right kind of coaching.

One thing has never changed and never will. A team and its coaches must be unified to be a good team. This team is not unified and has some internal problems. As soon as this is corrected, we should have a better chance of winning. As someone else stated, "a house divided will surely fall".

I would almost assure you, unless Gailey decided on his own to leave, he will be here next year and maybe more. The past players and influential supporters of Tech football do not like Tech to lose and will step in when they think it is the right thing to do. Tech sports cannot live without their support.

It is not going to surprise anyone if there are staff changes after the bowl game. When you have a new CEO, you change the personnel under him if things do not work out immediately. If the trend is downward for the long run, then you change the CEO.

drinking.gif

Ahsoisee, for the most part I have agreed with all your wise post and ideas, but I do think we can't wait any longer to get rid of cg. This program is destined to sink with he as our ceo. If we wait this program will be so far gone it will take years of frustration and anxiety to overcome what will be undone by this ceo. And with the stadium expansion this could become very problematic in both trying to pay for and then fill. The present support will deminish and then our recruiting structure. It will be like the domino effect when one goes they all go. Then you have to put it back together and that will take much longer than the fall. This is kind of like the democratic party. It is split between ideals that it will many years to get back to their years of the early 90's.

gtmg
I live in Florida and never heard anyone say that they were glad Gailey was leaving. Matter of fact, you hear nothing but good things from John Elway, Kordell Stewart, etc.

...also...Florida did call Gailey when Spurrier left, but Gailey was already signed, sealed, just not yet delivered because of the NFL playoffs.

No matter who is to blame for yesterday, or who is to blame for qb failures, or injuries, or boring O, the fact remains that we are getting lambasted over the entire media. How many times have I heard last night and all day today that our fb program is either in big trouble or on the precipice. Granted, they all love to bash us anyway, but yesterday gave them license to kill.

It does not take a brain surgeon to know that all the bad PR can kill a program! Subconsciously, they maybe want to make it unattractive for recruits, and can do so. Yesterday will not be forgotten as long as I live.

techrod, you are 100% right. I cannot believe after watching that crap Sat. that there are those standing behind this staff. The largest point spread in history and that was after calling them off!

Things will have to get worse before they get better at Tech. Braine will move on to volleyball and such on Monday.

Thank you Ahsoisee, Father WASP, TechRod, goldbuzz and the rest of the 5 percenters:

After reading much of the comments posted here, I thought I was alone in my judgment of Gailey & Co.

Some of us OTers have had opportunities to serve as top executives and board members with responsibility for executive oversight. Admittedly, the world of business does not present all of the unique challenges offered by a Div I-A college team but many of the basic management principals are followed by both well run companies and well run football programs.

When the organization doesn't move in unity, there are likely management disagreements in the senior ranks. I believe that has been a problem this year for Tech.

When there is complete disarray, problems with production, quality, market penetration, losses rather than profit, in short a complete meltdown, the top man isn’t getting the job done. Yes, I know there could also be problems with the functional management heads as well but you still don't have leadership at the top.

Start there. Do what needs to be done to put a better than capable man at the top then let the new guy evaluate his staff and make changes as necessary.

In all fairness, Tech may not ( I wasn't privy to the conversations) have given Gailey a free hand to replace and hire new direct reports. And I believe this has led to team dissension. But Tech's failure has been complete and throughout the organization.

I have not been a Gailey basher this year, I waited until after the UGA game to draw my conclusions. I am convinced Tech needs a change at the top and the new coach needs a free hand.

Wish we could hear from the players for an inside perspective.

Back