A look around the ACC in recruiting

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=ACC

• Clemson is normal (new normal in the CFP era)
  • FSU looks... weird. Never seen their recruiting this bad. Bad for ACC perception.
  • UM looks okay. They will need to close on some big boys though.
  • UNC is off the charts. We all new Mack could recruit but he could have a Clemson building.
  • Pitt is having a good year
  • UofL is doing well
  • NCSU must be panicking. Bad recruiting + mediocre coaching = ARGHHHHH

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
All of UNC’s higher profile recruits are in state. Nc state has to be hating life right now. Their coaching is abysmal

Techbert

Dodd-Like
FSU is just a woman's college. If not for an exceptional hire in Bill Peterson, they'd still be in the small school mire.

(What? You thought I was gonna say Bobby Bowden?)

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Yeah NC State and UofSC (look at theirs) are suffering bigly due to Mack

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
VPI struggling for the 2nd year in a row and falling farther behind uva. That is a trend now.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
You would think with VPI and FSU down it would be advantageous to us on the recruiting front.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
UNC - Just yikes. They’re basically doing what we were hoping to do on steroids. Their OL/DLs are going to be stacked with a good QB for awhile now.

FSU - Id be shocked if they actually finished below us. But there’s definitely been a noticeable shift in their recruiting. Don’t think they’re the “factory” that we’re used to them being anymore. They could recover pretty quick with the right coach though.

VT - their fanbase is starting to open their eyes to the fact that they over-achieved under Beamer and have no real reason to be an ACC power other than having lower academic standards than all but FSU/UL. Living in DC and surrounded by them, I’m loving this. It’s taking them awhile to realize it though b/c Fuente keeps winning 8/9 games with comical OOC schedules and BC as their crossover.

In his 2nd full cycle CGC should be finishing no worse than 5th in the ACC. He had more leash in the 2020 class (and didn’t need it). Starting in 2022 I’d expect to see us start to threaten unseating one or more of the Top 4 (Clemson/Miami/UNC/FSU). And 2023 we should be an accepted contender for having a Top 4 class.

Last edited:

AlaGold

Dodd-Like
Notice only 2 of bottom 7 are in our division. hmmmm Like Clemson needed more help and we needed less.

HurricaneJacket

Flats Noob
This year is going to be weird as a lot of kids committed early to ensure spots during COVID and we may see massive decommits and therefore shuffling when places open back up.

FSU and VT are both coached by ex Memphis coaches. I don't know what. Their official rankings are, but as a former Memphian, that region has a lot of pride in its school and a lot of the talent that is in East Arkansas, North Mississippi, and West Tennessee are drawn to the city and playimg there. I think that may have hidden some potential recruiting defencies of Norvell's and Fuente's that are now being exposed.

As for UNC, I think there are 3 big differences between them and us. 1. No other behemouth in state. 2. Mack found an apparently elite QB who attracts others. 3. Less heavily recruited state. The real question is how long is Mack willing to coach, he'll turn 69 right before the season starts, and who do they replace him with. If the answer is <5 years, and someone who isn't fundamentally sound, then I expect to see them fall off.

As for the others, we'll see, but I feel pretty good comimg off a 3 win season and think we'll be top 5 in conference no later than next year.

thegtstunner08

Earl of Cheap Seats and Cold Pizza
Really impressed with Mack Brown but should we be shocked? Man can recruit!

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=ACC

• Clemson is normal (new normal in the CFP era)
  • FSU looks... weird. Never seen their recruiting this bad. Bad for ACC perception.
  • UM looks okay. They will need to close on some big boys though.
  • UNC is off the charts. We all new Mack could recruit but he could have a Clemson building.
  • Pitt is having a good year
  • UofL is doing well
  • NCSU must be panicking. Bad recruiting + mediocre coaching = ARGHHHHH
UNC can have Mack. I’ll take Collins every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Unc man öööö them.

Remember when Tech was victorious over UnCheat 7 years in a row??